[Deck] Grim and Tr00

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Of those three reasons you cited, I think the last is the more pertinent. I think people fear it will enable Illusions/Donate or some other wacky combo.

The first reason maybe, the second I doubt.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
How did it happen at GenCon moreso than the SCG P9 tournament?

I think that Necro's best chance to be totally broken would be with the card that says "gain 20 life." So that is probably what it should be tested with. As far as I know, that's not what's been happening.

Spidey: you might think that the first reason is a "maybe." But I've seen it happen repeatedly. When people want to say Necro is broken, that's how they tend to point it out, with a phrase like "draw 19 cards" or "draws as many cards as you want" or something similar...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen a couple of people say that here. But I've more seen the real reason being it's a card drawer in general which makes it dangerous, not that you can draw a high amount of cards in one turn. That's why I said "maybe".

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I agree, I'm just trying to point out that my first reason was the one people tend to use...

The only one that I personally would use to ban or restrict it in a format would be the third reason I listed...

But I think the first two have had some influence, although unjustly...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I doubt the second reason because there IS a budget deck competing with the best apparently: U/R Fish. And the people that actually make the decision, unlike letting the "players" make the choice, probably don't care about the value of a card either when making the decision - they do it for its impact on the environment.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
You already stated that you doubted the second reason... :rolleyes:

If you doubt it so much, then fine. Sorry I suggested it. It seemed plausible enough until you started doubting it twice... :rolleyes:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I said it again and explained it a bit more since it appeared you felt the need to say you thought it was a reason again :rolleyes:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
To be honest, I don't see why it couldn't be, other than the fact that you keep doubting it...

Politics comes into play in everything else, it seems. Why not Magic?

I don't actually know the people who make the decisions, so I can't say for sure...

Case in point though. After you said you doubted the second reason, in my post where I said I thought both could have had some influence, I was clarifying my earlier post. I did not say "hey, I'm clarifying" but I thought that it was clear that I was clarifying... :rolleyes:

What card in U/R Fish would you restrict to kill the deck, anyway?

Necro is a much easier target...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
On the flip side, I don't see why there has to be, just because it's "everywhere else". Provide the proof first...

T

train

wow... don't think I've seen a thread come to an end like this before...:cool:

T

train

hey - I had to catch up... but i mean both sides letting something go...

interesting...

:cool:

F

Force of Will Smith

Black does have a way to kill artifact.. its just not cost efficient

Phyrexian Tribute from Mirage 2B Sorcery
Sacrifice 2 creatures: destroy target artifact

theres also a black counterspell for creatures

Withering boon 1B
Pay 3 Life: counter target creature spell

cant believe you all just dismissed black without even looking..

Theres a black propaganda as well..

Koskun Falls

a black Tim...
Cuombaji Witches..

actually i think itd be fun to make a fake black deck.. playing cards like this.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Originally posted by Force of Will Smith
cant believe you all just dismissed black without even looking..
Really? Because I already know what ALL of those cards do, off the top of my head. The thing is that none of them are worth playing. Phyrexian Tribute is liberally overcosted, Withering Boon is not viable in the face of stronger black creature kill, Koskun Falls is from Homelands (enough said), Cuombaji Witches are somewhat fun for casual decks but not really competitive...

(of course you could build some funny deck with them, like the Sorrow's Path deck Train made, but that's not what I meant)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Of course they're overcosted - they're effects not normally available to black...

Which I agree is not an efficient way to use those effects if you just want them in general, but if you're forcing yourself to use them as a "challenge", you can use the Tempest medallion that lowers cc or generate token creatures for Tribute, gain life consistently for Boon, etc....