[Deck] Grim and Tr00

O

Orodruin

This deck started out as a Sengir Autocrat / Hecatomb deck that I made in an attempt to abuse that much maligned Ice Age card. However, as the deck evolved, I realised that Hecatomb just didn't cut it, even for a casual deck, as it plain sucks without a large amount of swamps in play, and even then is hardly gamewinning. Therefore I decided to drop it, and decided to go in a different direction with the sacrifice theme. Since many of the people I play with use creature heavy decks, I decided to base the deck around Grave Pact (which is just unreal in multiplayer) and lots of cheap creatures which either sacrifice for a good ability, or produce a beneficial effect when killed. Since many of these creatures are 1/1, Skullclamp was a natural addition and is the card that "breaks" (and I use that term very subjectively) the deck, along with another given, Oversold Cemetery. At first glance, the deck may look slightly similar to the Pet Cemetary deck posted by Ephraim on the Mana Drain forums, but my deck emphasises the sacrificial theme more heavily, and is mono black.

Grim and Tr00 kvlt sacrifice (Pardon the ****ty deck title/obscure reference to black metal music):
Mana: (24)
------------------------
18 Swamp
2 Phyrexian Tower
4 Dark Ritual

Creatures: (22)
------------------------
4 Blood Pet
4 Khabal Ghoul
4 Insidious Bookworms
3 Abyssal Gatekeeper
3 Thrull Surgeon
4 Bottle Gnomes

Spells (14)
------------------------
4 Oversold Cemetery
4 Skullclamp
4 Grave Pact
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Gate to Phyrexia

Total : 60 cards

Reasons for Some Card Choices:
One of the (somewhat surprising) star creatures in the deck, and one of my favourite creatures of all time, is Insidious Bookworms. It makes for a great combo with Phyrexian Tower and gives you a three for one for three mana with Skullclamp. Khabal Ghouls were chosen over Carrion Feeders due mainly to the fact that I have enough sacrificial outlets in the deck already, and because they can block. Bottle Gnomes were picked as they rock burn decks, especially along with Oversold Cemetery. Also, they can be clamped and then sacrificed for both cards and life. The single Gate to Phyrexia fits the theme nicely and gets rid of those pesky Disks and other bothersome artifacts.

Where you can help me:
I'm not quite sure about the number of Grave Pacts in the deck, as they are fairly useless against combo and some control decks. The general strategy against these archetypes are to use the discard creatures to wheedle down their hand size, and when they're out of counterspells/removal, play an oversold cemetery for the lock. Against decks packing mostly creatures, the gameplan is fairly obvious.

Another glaring weakness with the deck is that I have very little in the way of artifact and enchantment removal. This, I daresay, is the Achilles heel of the deck, and a problem that somehow needs to be resolved.

Just to inroduce myself, I'm a 20 year old student of chemistry who has been playing Magic on and off (mostly casually) since Mirage, but has never actually taken the step of writing about Magic until now. Therefore, I'm sorry if this post is somewhat incoherent and newbie-ish, but this is my first post ever on a Magic forum, and I honestly have no clue what I'm doing :)

T

train

I like the bottle gnome, clamp idea...

This is a separate idea - as you didn't list a sideboard...

I think something that might help your dealing with combos, etc would...be death wish...

It would allow you to get what you need, when you need it - and you wouldn't have to main deck many answers for combo decks...

and if you don't get the demonic - you could lessen the number of grave pacts in the deck - wun the wish, and wish for them if needed...

are you running a sideboard?...

E

Exaulted_Leader

For enchantment and artifact removal, there's always Nevinyrral's Disk.

Actually, so long as you're only playing casually, you don't need a sideboard to use Death Wish (the wishes are only restricted to sideboard cards for tournament purposes).

I'd only run 2 Grave Pacts. You have the clamps and tutor to dig for them, and you could perhaps add Death Wish to the mix for some more fetching power. Maybe even attempt to add a Necropotence?

As far as control decks are concerned, I wouldn't worry too much about them. EVERY deck has it's bad match-ups - in your case, those match-ups are against decks that don't rely heavily on creatures.

This deck looks really teched-out to butcher aggro, so stick with that principle. :)

T

train

I was asking about a sideboard, because it usually accompanies a deck, and if not with the rest of the collection, something specific could be in the sideboard...

If this is truly casual - try to have your thousands of cards with you at all times in case you wish...:D

O

Orodruin

I've considered playing the Disk, but have dismissed it on the basis that my deck is heavily permanent based. The Death Wish is a good idea, but my playgroup unfortunately has a bit of an unofficial rule banning the wishes. The Necropotence, however, is a great idea, and one Grave Pact has been removed in favour of one copy of the Skull.

Oversoul: The Khabal Ghouls become huuuuuge black fatties only a few turns after entering play.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Heh, I seem to be the only one with Ring...

Besides, it's 10 mana total...

And his playgroup might ban it, since it's similar to the Wishes...

H

Homestar

the deck seems good to me,

while were on the subject, does Black have any artifact/enchantment removal at all?

H

Homestar

wow, that kinda stinks.

I just picked up 3 vindicates at FNM, are they worth anyhting?

T

train

Only if you run B/W... if not they are good trade fodder - up to 3 rares each depending on what you're trying to get...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah, Vindicate's worth something. Not sure how much exactly...

Black's lack of artifact/enchantment removal has long been its bane in several formats. Disenchant is a very coveted card by black mages. Vindicate's printing helps a little, but it requires a white splash...

T

train

I remember those tears...

I also remember crying when bargain, necro, and tutor left the current formats and got restricted...

:(

thank GAWD for casual play...:cool:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
The Bargain thing is necessary because the card is such a powerful engine of combo brokenness. That's why I'll be using it in Type I (and after TPS becomes more popular, I'm sure a lot of people will).

The Tutor thing is rather understandable, since it finds ANY card cheaply...

But the Necro bit makes me sad. The reason Necro gets banned/restricted is more that people are scared of it than that it would actually dominate. It would do well in any format probably, but it's more balanced than Bargain or Tutor, and worlds of fun...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Regarding Necro, any card drawing engine is going to be looked at. Necro might be able to be looked at again since it got banned several years ago and perhaps things have changed with recent sets that don't make it so dangerous now. But obviously a real test would be making a deck and/or modifying current decksto have four Necros in then and see how they do against current decks.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I highly doubt Necro will be unrestricted. No one's clamoring for unrestriction because people are scared of it. All they need to point out is that it lets you draw 19 cards any time you want (a gross exaggeration).

Also, I am sure that part of it is politics. Necro would enable budget decks to compete with the best. People don't want to lose against a $4 card (price could go up if unrestricted, but probably not by all that much, since it was reprinted in 5th edition) with their $400 cards. I don't think they'd admit that, but it must play some role...

Plus it still has the Illusions/Donate combo to enable, and I'm not sure myself that such a deck might simply break Necro again...

T

train

People don't want to lose against a $4 card (price could go up if unrestricted, but probably not by all that much, since it was reprinted in 5th edition) with their $400 cards
This is a really good point - but isn't this what happened at GenCon?...

I didnt' see all the decklists - but didn't someone run an original perpetual or Academy deck?