'Death Star' and more (to the tune of 'Gay Bar')

Ferret

Staff member
I like to think that there hasn't been any decent popular music since 1987. In 1988 the music industry was taken over completely by Producers and huge corporations. Radio stations were instructed who will be the next popular artists and were told what songs to play (no less than 10 times a day!) That was when I turned off my radio....

...since then, I've still been listening to new stuff, but mostly random tunes I heard when I went clubbing and stuff my friends introduced me to. Some of it actually can be classified as pop music, but I listen to it because I want to - not because Corporate Radio and Empty Vee forced it upon me.

Interesting bit of trivia for everyone: did you know that New Kids On the Block was created because of a bet? True story.

-Ferret

"Buy SPOOOOOOOOOON GUAAAAAAAAARD!"

D

DÛke

Ferret:

...but I listen to it because I want to - not because Corporate Radio and Empty Vee forced it upon me.
Just out of innocent curiosity, who did those Corporate Radio and "Empty Vee" force their music on?

And you listen because you want to!!!? I apologize for my bad english skillz and lack of understanding. Until now, I thought one had always done what he wanted to do - I thought it was implied. I guess that's one more thing I need to learn!

Oh, and I swear!!! - I posted this because I wanted to!!! Please...please...don't hurt me!!!

R

Reverend Love

The story of a boy and his horse

Horse: When is it my time to go...I no longer yearn to be here....

Boy with Shovel: The time for your departure hasn't yet arrived..I still require you...

Dead Horse: But master look at my flesh, it's torn and bruised. Your fellow villagers no longer require my services..they did bury me afterall...

Boy with Shovel: Silence Animal! Yee shall quiver at the sight of my wrathful intellect!

Horse: Oooh god not again... :rolleyes:

Boy with Shovel: Can't....let....go.....

N

Nightstalkers

its subliminal marketing... braught to you by The Nightstalkers :D

Ferret

Staff member
In the late 80's the creator of boy band New Edition (band that Bobby Brown (Mr. Whitney Houston)) was chatting w/ a friend and his friend bet him that he couldn't create a band as big as New Edition. So, he took that bet and went to Boston. He found five boys w/ falsetto voices and just the right "look". He marketted them to death and before you knew it every girl between the ages of 12-16 were wearing T-Shirts w/ their favourite "New Kid" on them....

-Ferret

"...I still have nightmares from 1990 when I was on a train w/ 300 of them on their way to a concert..."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
What's the source?

I know the creator of New Edition was behind New Kids also, it's just that the statement of a bet sounds like rumor or urban legend type thing.

A

Apollo

FYI, when I was in Europe I turned on the music video channels a once or twice, and not only did I see "Gay Bar," I saw it about a thousand times. And that is one funny music video--that stupid cat animation is nothing compared to the real deal.

C

Chaos Turtle

Okay, I finally got suckered into listening to this. It's cute.

By the way, there most certainly has been decent popular music since 1987. The trouble is that some of it was so popular that everyone with a garage wanted to copy it, and Big Music gave just about every one of those clones a freakin' record deal.

C

Chaos Turtle

Originally posted by Nightstalkers
Kinda figured you'd dredge this thread back up chaos
And just what is that suppposed to mean? :eek: Huh?

That I'm some kinda...what? Big Star Wars fan? :p

N

Nightstalkers

Everyones a starwars fan in their own way.

I just like to watch the cosplayers get with it is all.

T

Tabasco

Maybe no one has thought of this, but that song came out in the 70's. 1971 to be exact. People like me were not born then I was born in '86 about a month away from when that space shuttle blew-up

The only reason I even know what he is talking about Is because it was on a recent VH1 special entitled "I Love The 70's"

I normally don't watch this channel but some of the stuuf was really cool!! Like the fact that the had a children's show written by a pot smoker/drug addict entitled, "H.R. Pufinstuf" Look at the name. Puffin Stuff I was informed that everything talked I looked more like some horrific drug induced nightmare then a children's show.

My father said that it had no competition so kids were forced to watch it. The only thing on at the same time as that show was the News, Infomercials, The News, or some other crap program

So not everyone may know of this "Gay Bar" song I learned of it from a VH1 special

C

Chaos Turtle

Hmm...I hate to question your reliability on this issue, but I'm sure that "Gay Bar" is a new song. Electric 6 is a new group, currently touring the UK, and the song in the video is definitely their recording of it.

I don't remember seeing it on any of the 70's shows on VH1, though I tend to channel-surf, so I could have missed it. I did hear it being played on another VH1 special called "Totally Gay." Are you sure you're not getting the two confused? :eek: ;) :D

Yes, I know my television viewing habits have taken a nosedive. So sue me. :p

T

Tabasco

I did also see it on that show, now that I have done some research, I see that electric six is a newer band and The Electric Company was what I saw on "I love the 70's"

Oh well you can't always be right

T

Tabasco

I was talking in self perspective,

I can't always be right...........You were right on the electric six thing they are a very new band

http://www.electric6.com

That gay bar song is stuck in my head now dam mit
oh well

C

Chaos Turtle

I understood you. That was meant to be self-deprecating. Didn't want to give the idea that I thought I was the be-all end-all of trivial pursuits. ;) Just trying to establish a little comaraderie. :)

"Don't worry. I don't want to take you to a gay bar..." :cool: