Darksteel Mechanic - Indestructible

T

train

Well... nothing can be banned in sealed/draft, as per rules for the format...

anything you receive in the boxes, no matter what it is, is playable...

even if you drafted 6 siege gang commanders - you can run all 6 in your deck...

if for some reason you were drafting mirrodin, and you got a wrath of god in the pack you opened, it's legal for your deck...

same with sealed...

but memory jar was immediately restricted in type 1 when they banned it in type2, block, extended, and 1.5...

The only thing you want to do with the above abnormalities, is inform the head judge - that way your opponent can't get you for "cheating"...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Your opponents must be sleeping at the helm if they let you get that many of one card... :D At least for rares (although good commons and uncommons too, depending on the set).

T

train

most i got of one card in a draft was 5 - seton's desire...

I ran all of them...

i also was able to run a mono-green deck at the time...

Sadly i got beaten down by an iridescent angel...

:(
:rolleyes:
:D

A

Apollo

"Indestructible" still strikes me as a particularly lousy mechanic. It reminds me of being a little kid first playing Magic right after 4th edition came out, when we would draw cards with colored pencils and give them abilities like "This creature can't die".

It's not interesting, and it's not creative.

M

Mikeymike

Originally posted by Apollo
"Indestructible" still strikes me as a particularly lousy mechanic. It reminds me of being a little kid first playing Magic right after 4th edition came out, when we would draw cards with colored pencils and give them abilities like "This creature can't die".

It's not interesting, and it's not creative.
Apollo, I definitely see you're point, but I would (and will) argue that it is fairly interesting and creative from a deckbuilding perspective. In that I really like the idea of trying to build a deck around indestructible items - For example, a W/R/artifact deck with mass removal and Slobad, Goblin Tinkerer. Or a deck focused on Darksteel Colossus kill. Or a deck built around the Kaldra pieces. Etc. ad naseum.

Also, I like that it also forces you to rethink your removal spells somewhat. Anything that could make a substantial dent in the casual metagame is a good thing IMO (unless its Withered Wretch).

And you have to admit, Kaldra's War Ensemble (Sword, Shield, Helmet) spread over 3 sets is a pretty neat concept.

N

Nightstalkers

Originally posted by train
You won't see me using it!...

Just proof that WoTC is behind a mass conspiracy to get everyone to play Blue...

anyone that can't see that is just blind...;) :) :cool:
Now cut that out Train. You know darn well that there are just as evil colors out there. Take green for example, you've got a friggin barage of green 1/1 tokens ready to be unleashed at just about every turn! And don't get me started on the "not so expensive" biggies that are just waiting to come crawling out of the bushes. Even Red has its downside because you can just "bring on the burn" and create an "extra crispy please" deck.... You might not want to ask Laz about that one.

Oh, and think about Mr. White! He's got protection this, protection that, IT MAKES ME FRIGGIN SICK!!!! Mr. "indestructable" is a pile of junk when someone slaps down a COP: ARTIFACTS!

Sure your all artifacts deck is going to be catering for the enchantment of your opponents, but your not going to think twice when they say "oh well, your getting too powerful for me, bye bye" and plays Mrs. Acroma's Justice and just whipes the board clean. Yeah, you can get your juggernaut back... eventually, but think about this: Your opponent has a hand, its not always going to be full of junk and stuff to "whipe the slate clean" so to speak. Think about those of us who have up to 34 possible combo's in their deck (yes its a 60 card deck... okay, sometimes 74 when I'm angry), we keep a whole lot of backup stuff just to see what our opponents might throw at us.

AND WE DON'T ALWAYS PLAY BLUE!!!!

I've got a shadow deck that we've been perfecting for a few years that is the equivalent to your "piss you off blue" that we have yet to find a challenge for that we cannot just update to protect against that form of deck.

Nightstalker Habuki

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Apollo: I don't think Indestructible will be game-breaking (although it has the potential, though I doubt any cards will be let through); I think it has the biggest impact in Limited format when you are limited to your selections on how to deal with it. In Constructed, it'll make you think more but I don't think will have THAT great of an impact (I mean, there's an Indestructible Artifact Land, according to the spoiler).

T

train

hopefully it doesn't produce blue...

I'd run it in geddon decks!!!....

N

Notepad

Originally posted by train
most i got of one card in a draft was 5 - seton's desire...

I ran all of them...

i also was able to run a mono-green deck at the time...

Sadly i got beaten down by an iridescent angel...
Most I ever seen anybody get was 6 Penumbra Bobcats in a IPA draft, where myself, a friend, and my bro were all ahead of the guy who was drafting the cats. We only let one by each of us, and got the rest, as we were playing green also.

But since he was the judge, he didn't call himself on blatant cheating. I'm glad I got him suspended eventually, though. ;)

N

Notepad

Imagine the draft order is something like this:

Random person
Random person
Random person
Friend
Me
Random person
Brother
Cheater

I drafted every Bobcat I saw, except one that I let pass by. Same with my friend and my brother. So, the most that could have passed total was one past my bro to the cheater. As there was only one Apoc pack to open in the draft, the cheater may have opened one, and then gotten the one that my brother let pass him by.

That makes the total possible bobcats he could have drafted: 2

Somehow he had 6 in his deck, and even bragged about drafting all of them.

Surely, one passed by, but he had to plant either 5 or 4 into his draft deck, which looks to be a suspendable form of cheating in the DCI.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
You guys didn't go in reverse order at some point?

Oh wait, you said only one Apoc pack, so I guess that wouldn't have mattered... huh.

N

Notepad

Yeah, Invasion-Planeshift-Apoc.

During Inv and Apoc, the draft order was as shown. During Planeshift it was reverse.

So the guy having 6 cats was blatant cheating, and we brought it up, but he just looked at us funny and everyone else was like "who cares, just bobcats." Argh...