Darksteel Mechanic - Indestructible

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
From Mark's article today...

Didn't know Shatterstorm would be helpless against it also... So is there a lot of bounce/remove from game/steal effects in Type 2 right now?

T

train

To answer the question spidey - there are a lot of bounce, steal, remove, and even sacrifice effects out there...

The main thing this makes me want to do is run titania's song, and humility...;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Type 2, train, Type 2. Of course there's lots in Type 1... :)

I'm just wondering if this would be a house in Sealed/Limited format, in preparation for the Pre-release...

T

train

well... in type 2...

a good defense against it would be regeneration... their object is indestructible... my object regenerates - their's a bounce for you!...

actually here's what you were looking for Spidey:
Aether Spellbomb
Astral Slide
Boomerang
chain of vapor
***cowardice
crystal shard
dimensional breach
dispersing orb
echo tracer
essence fracture
evacuation
keeper of the nine gales
planar guide
regress
temporal adept
temporal fissure
unsummon
words of wind
grab the reins
altar's light
carbonize
decree of annihilation
Soul Nova
Thieve's Auction
Unified strike

and many others like counterspells, etc...

H

Hetemti

We'll probably see a few more white, green, and red solutions. Probably a cheap remove target artifact creature from the game, controller gains life card; an enchantment that says when an artifact would be destroyed, remove it instead; and a big remove all artifacts and discard your whole hand at random, since red can't have big effects without discarding a billion cards anymore.

M

Mikeymike

And my beloved Duplicant gains another notch in its' belt.

N

Nightstalkers

Originally posted by train
well... in type 2...

a good defense against it would be regeneration... their object is indestructible... my object regenerates - their's a bounce for you!...

actually here's what you were looking for Spidey:
Aether Spellbomb
Astral Slide
Boomerang
chain of vapor
***cowardice
crystal shard
dimensional breach
dispersing orb
echo tracer
essence fracture
evacuation
keeper of the nine gales
planar guide
regress
temporal adept
temporal fissure
unsummon
words of wind
grab the reins
altar's light
carbonize
decree of annihilation
Soul Nova
Thieve's Auction
Unified strike

and many others like counterspells, etc...
Your looking a little blue there Train, are you all right?

Nightstalker Exterra

T

train

Your looking a little blue there Train, are you all right?
You won't see me using it!...

Just proof that WoTC is behind a mass conspiracy to get everyone to play Blue...

anyone that can't see that is just blind...;) :) :cool:

R

Reverend Love

Mikeymike
And my beloved Duplicant gains another notch in its' belt.
Quite possibly the best spot creature removal post Darksteel.

R

rkoelsch

I look for a couple more remove from game effects in Darksteel as well. But it looks like every color has an answer. The fact that he says they didn't put it on anything aggressive seems to discount the Darksteel Colossus. I mean an 11/11 Indestructible creature for 11 sounds aggressive especially with the mana exceleration available.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
at least for Darksteel... who knows what might be in 5th Dawn.

But any other type aside from "creature" is probably fair game...

On a side note, found out that I won't be able to attend the pre-release anyway.. already have plans that weekend :(

T

train

All I can say about it is that there hasn't been a set created, that didn't have an answer for every card in it...

There should be more answers in Darksteel - we just aren't seeing them yet...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, there are some sets that didn't have good satisfactory quick answers... that's why there was some cards in banned in Block sets... (Lin Sivvi, that card in the Urza's Block that got banned before the set was released, to name a couple).

H

Hetemti

"That card?" MEMORY JAR! You act as if it was years ago.

* Hetemti still considers Urza recent, and anything after Apocolypse is just some punk newbie who needs to be taught some respect.

T

train

There was an answer to Memory jar in the set... Arcane Lab for one...

The issue was in Memory Jar's speed...

and if the jar didn't go off on turn 1, it was even easier to stop it...

It was just too fast...

but then you could say the same about Sneak Attack's first turn kill...

Arcane lab answered it also...

What people don't realize is that the speed for memory jar came from the tempest block - lotus petals, mox diamonds, ancient tomb, city of traitors, eladamri's vineyard, etc... The same place sneak attack got it's speed from...

it was not block speed from Saga...

Tinker still took a few turns, and only dark rituals were mana acceleration in urza's saga...

Jar was banned in sanctioned tourneys because it's stronger than ancestral recall...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I thought the Jar was banned in the Urza's Block (aside from other formats), meaning stuff from Tempest wasn't an issue? Maybe once again I'm remembering wrong... :)

Don't forget Academy...

T

train

I mis-spoke previously...

At the time - Jar was originally banned in sanctioned play except type 1(restricted) and sealed(you can play with as many as you got) - which included block... This kept it out of the type 2, extended, and 1.5 arenas...

Now it is specifically banned in all but type 1 and sealed... (not eligible for type 2, so no ban is necessary)...

As for the tempest stuff being an issue - The jar deck that got it banned included the tempest speed...

Other banned block cards came much, much later - and mainly because of the free creatures'spells that blue had - such as great whale...

Think of the damage you could do with gaea's cradle, academy, serra's sanctum, etc... all in play while untapping lands for a free whale...

"Blue - bends the universe to it's will... Until I cap the blue mage with my 45..."

;) :p

A note - academy also got a lot of it's strength from cheap artifacts - petal, diamond, monolith, etc... and even more in type 1...

without tempest's speed - urza's cards would not have been so broken...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I thought it got banned across the board.

Except for when Tempest rotated out of Type 2, Urza's Block would always have access to Tempest/Type 1 fast mana. Unless it also gets cut-off for Extended, but still, it's pretty much always going to interact with it...