Daily Brainteaser

E

EricBess

August 21st - Name That Category
You get five clues to name a category. After each clue, take one guess. You'll get the number of points in parentheses for your first correct guess. To keep you from looking ahead, I've concealed clues 2 to 5.

Game 1
1. suit (100 pts)

2. the news (80)

3. your dream (50)

4. orders (25)

5. the yellow brick road (10)

Game 2
1. loose (100 pts)

2. corners (80)

3. class (50)

4. hair (25)

5. deck of cards (10)

Answers:

Honestly, I wasn't really in the mindset for this, so I ended up looking at all of the answers. Usually I'm pretty good and this sort of thing, but thinking in terms of a category instead of a subject I think made it harder for me in general. I don't know if anyone wants to post their score (mine would have to be 20), but I finally realized what the second one was (I got the first one a while ago) so I thought I would post.

The first one is "Things you follow" and the second one is "Things you cut"

BTW - anyone know where turgy has been? Missing my fix ;)

turgy22

Nothing Special
EricBess;285860 said:
BTW - anyone know where turgy has been? Missing my fix ;)
Been feeling lazy. I've kept all the puzzles from the week, though, so here's a bundle for you:

Also, I'm going to stop posting the answers. If someone is stuck on one and nobody's gotten it right, just ask and I'll put it up.

August 23rd
Fill in the missing words.

Ninety d______ in a r______ a_____.
Thirty-two F_________ equals 0 C_____.
Five s______ in the h______ b______.

August 24th - Alphabet Soup
The following 15 letters can be anagrammed into a common admonition you might see on an outdoor sign. The enumeration is (4 3 3 5).

F A T F R E E P O S H K E G S

August 25th - Oh-oh
VOODOO is a word with two sets of double-O's and no other vowels. Can you think of four other common, unpluralized English words with those same restrictions that have to do with recipes (8 letters), infallibility (9), resting (9), and education (10)?

August 26th - Proverbiage
A well-known proverb is given in fancy language below. Put it back into standard English.

It is extremely unsatisfactory to enumerate some avian creatures while they are still in a preparatory stage.

August 27th
A group of teenagers wanted to hire a small bus for their prom, and they split the $600 total cost equally. If they had had five fewer people, each person would have had to pay $10 more. How many teenagers were there and how much did they each pay?

August 28th - Movie Prime Rhyme Time
Each answer is a three-word rhyming phrase. (Enumeration is shown in parentheses.)

Titanic star Winslet had dinner around midnight (4 3 4)
Highlights Black Lagoon monster's instructors (8 8'1 8)
A tad vivacious actress Keira of Pirates fame (8 9 9)

August 29th - Palindrome Pals
A palindrome is a word, sentence, or group of words that reads the same backward and forward. What palindrome is suggested by the following clue?

A male opera singer with a high vocal range cited by his British hereditary title

T _ _ _ _: . _ . B _ _ _ _ _ _

R

rokapoke

August 23rd
Fill in the missing words.

Ninety d______ in a r______ a_____.
Thirty-two F_________ equals 0 C_____.
Five s______ in the h______ b______.

2/3 Answer:
Ninety degrees in a right angle.
Thirty-two Fahrenheit equal 0 Celsius (or Centigrade).
Five ?????

August 24th - Alphabet Soup
The following 15 letters can be anagrammed into a common admonition you might see on an outdoor sign. The enumeration is (4 3 3 5).

F A T F R E E P O S H K E G S

Answer:
Keep off the grass.

August 25th - Oh-oh
VOODOO is a word with two sets of double-O's and no other vowels. Can you think of four other common, unpluralized English words with those same restrictions that have to do with recipes (8 letters), infallibility (9), resting (9), and education (10)?

Answer:
Recipes: Cookbook; infallibility: foolproof; resting: footstool; education: schoolbook.

August 26th - Proverbiage
A well-known proverb is given in fancy language below. Put it back into standard English.

It is extremely unsatisfactory to enumerate some avian creatures while they are still in a preparatory stage.

Answer:
Don't count your chickens before they've hatched.

August 27th
A group of teenagers wanted to hire a small bus for their prom, and they split the $600 total cost equally. If they had had five fewer people, each person would have had to pay $10 more. How many teenagers were there and how much did they each pay?

Answer:
There are 20 teenagers, and they each paid $30. If there were 15 teenagers, they would've each paid $40. I sort of cheated on this; I considered multiples of 5 people (starting at 10 people) and nice round-number costs, figuring that we weren't talking about 14 people vs 19 people.

August 28th - Movie Prime Rhyme Time
Each answer is a three-word rhyming phrase. (Enumeration is shown in parentheses.)

Titanic star Winslet had dinner around midnight (4 3 4)
Highlights Black Lagoon monster's instructors (8 8'1 8)
A tad vivacious actress Keira of Pirates fame (8 9 9)

Answer
Kate ate late. Features creature's teachers. Slightly spritely Knightley.

And no, "spritely" doesn't have 9 letters, but I think it fits rather well.

August 29th - Palindrome Pals
A palindrome is a word, sentence, or group of words that reads the same backward and forward. What palindrome is suggested by the following clue?

A male opera singer with a high vocal range cited by his British hereditary title

T _ _ _ _: . _ . B _ _ _ _ _ _

Answer:
Tenor: A Baronet.