Daily Brainteaser

E

EricBess

Spiderman;285540 said:
I don't get this one. I figured out the value of the card suits but have no idea how to apply it, if I even need to, to the last line...
You can get this from rokapoke's answer, but in case you don't want to look before figure this out, the numbers on the right are the row values, the numbers on the bottom are column values.

turgy22

Nothing Special
In this word ladder, fill in each set of blanks with a common three-letter word that changes by one letter, without rearranging letters on each rung.Every word - except the first and the last, which you must deduce and which are related to one another - appears intact in longer words whose extra letters have been provided.

..._ _ A
.PA_ _ _TLY
.AU_ _ _OMY
.LA_ _ _IC
SYN_ _ _ATED
..._ U _

August 11th Answer:

R

rokapoke

August 12
In this word ladder, fill in each set of blanks with a common three-letter word that changes by one letter, without rearranging letters on each rung.Every word - except the first and the last, which you must deduce and which are related to one another - appears intact in longer words whose extra letters have been provided.

..._ _ A
.PA_ _ _TLY
.AU_ _ _OMY
.LA_ _ _IC
SYN_ _ _ATED
..._ U _

Answer:
TEA
paTENtly
auTONomy
laCONic
synCOPated
CUP

turgy22

Nothing Special
BATHTUB and BREWPUB are the longest common English words that start and end with the letter B. Use the clues to identify other longest common English words starting and ending with other letters.

R: Place to store food
X: Photocopier company
W: Farmer's cart with handles
M: Peaceful co-existence of different traditional, ethnic, or religious groups within a unified society

August 12th Answers:

TEA, TEN, TON, CON, COP, CUP

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
BATHTUB and BREWPUB are the longest common English words that start and end with the letter B. Use the clues to identify other longest common English words starting and ending with other letters.

R: Place to store food
X: Photocopier company
W: Farmer's cart with handles
M: Peaceful co-existence of different traditional, ethnic, or religious groups within a unified society

3/4 Answers:

R: Refridgerator
X: Xerox
W: Wheelbarrow

turgy22

Nothing Special
August 14th - Heading Off
Remove the first letter from a five-letter word that means "a weapon" to get a word that means "part of a sentence."

Remove the first letter from an eight-letter word that means "a devoted political follower" to get a word that means "a craftsperson."

August 15th
What two words, formed from different arrangements of the same five letters, can be used to complete the sentence below?

If I _______ a lot of property, I would _______ my alma mater with some land for a new student residence.

August 13th Answers:

refrigerator (Another R word of the same length is restaurateur.)
Xerox
wheelbarrow
multiculturalism

R

rokapoke

August 15th
What two words, formed from different arrangements of the same five letters, can be used to complete the sentence below?

If I _______ a lot of property, I would _______ my alma mater with some land for a new student residence.

Answer:
owned, endow

E

EricBess

August 14th - Heading Off
Remove the first letter from a five-letter word that means "a weapon" to get a word that means "part of a sentence."

Answer:

sword, word

turgy22

Nothing Special
August 16th - Letter Dash
Each clue leads to an answer starting with a single letter commonly followed by a hyphen. For example, "Type of sweater" is "V-neck."

1. 180º in a car
2. Live Capitol Hill proceedings network
3. Bone pic
4. Skier's lift
5. Cotton swab brand
6. Astronaut's outfit
7. On-line correspondence
8. June 6, 1944
9. Aperture setting
10. Simply house design

August 17th
Put the same four-letter word in each of the blanks below to make four new words.

is______
gar______
Hol______
waste______

August 14th Answers:

sword, word
partisan, artisan

August 15th Answers:

owned, endow

E

EricBess

August 17th
Put the same four-letter word in each of the blanks below to make four new words.

is______
gar______
Hol______
waste______

Answer:

island, garland, Holland, wasteland.

E

EricBess

August 16th - Letter Dash
Each clue leads to an answer starting with a single letter commonly followed by a hyphen. For example, "Type of sweater" is "V-neck."

1. 180º in a car
2. Live Capitol Hill proceedings network
3. Bone pic
4. Skier's lift
5. Cotton swab brand
6. Astronaut's outfit
7. On-line correspondence
8. June 6, 1944
9. Aperture setting
10. Simply house design

Partial Answer:

1. U-turn
2. C-span
5. Q-tip
7. E-mail
8. D-day
9. F-Stop

turgy22

Nothing Special
At a certain point in a 72-hour telethon, one-half of the time that has passed is equal to one-sixth of the time to come. How many more hours of the telethon are there?

August 16th Answers:

1. U-turn
2. C-SPAN
3. X-ray
4. T-bar
5. Q-tip
6. G-suit
7. E-mail
8. D-day
9. F-stop
10. A-frame

August 17th Answer:

land

E

EricBess

At a certain point in a 72-hour telethon, one-half of the time that has passed is equal to one-sixth of the time to come. How many more hours of the telethon are there?

Answer:

If half the time that has passed is equal to 1/6th of the time to come, then the time that has passed is equal to 1/3 of the time to come, so 1/4th of the time has already passed, or 72/4 = 18 hours, leaving another 54 hours of the telethon.

Mathematically:
1/2(X) = 1/6(72-X)

turgy22

Nothing Special
Use the clues on the left to fill the squares to the left of the red spaces. Use the clues on the right to fill the squares to the right of the red spaces. The add one letter in the center (on the red space) to make a long word that links the two. Now read down the center to get an appropriate extra word.

Golf Cry ...._ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ...Misplace
Gasp ........_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .....Long time
Golf Score ...._ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .Sinai, e.g.
Penny ......._ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .A+ or B-
Dance Club _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ...Camp shelter

August 18th Answer:

54 hours

E

EricBess

Use the clues on the left to fill the squares to the left of the red spaces. Use the clues on the right to fill the squares to the right of the red spaces. The add one letter in the center (on the red space) to make a long word that links the two. Now read down the center to get an appropriate extra word.

Golf Cry ...._ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ...Misplace
Gasp ........_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .....Long time
Golf Score ...._ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .Sinai, e.g.
Penny ......._ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .A+ or B-
Dance Club _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ...Camp shelter

Answer:

fore c lose
pant h eon - found "pant" on thesaurus.com...
par a mount
cent i grade
disco n tent

extra word: chain

turgy22

Nothing Special
Fill in the blanks to complete the 13-letter word below.

P _ _ C _ _ T _ O _ A _ Y

August 19th Answers:

foreclose
pantheon
paramount
centigrade
discontent

bonus word: chain

turgy22

Nothing Special
No answers for the Gigantiword? Hopefully, we'll see some participation for the August 21st puzzle. It's a scored system, so it might be fun to see who does best with it. I got 90 points.

August 21st - Name That Category
You get five clues to name a category. After each clue, take one guess. You'll get the number of points in parentheses for your first correct guess. To keep you from looking ahead, I've concealed clues 2 to 5.

Game 1
1. suit (100 pts)

2. the news (80)

3. your dream (50)

4. orders (25)

5. the yellow brick road (10)

Game 2
1. loose (100 pts)

2. corners (80)

3. class (50)

4. hair (25)

5. deck of cards (10)

August 22nd
Charlie is now twice as old as Ellen. Four years ago, Charlie was four times as old as Ellen was then. How old are they now?

August 20th Answer:

precautionary

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
August 22nd
Charlie is now twice as old as Ellen. Four years ago, Charlie was four times as old as Ellen was then. How old are they now?

Answer:

x = Ellen
y = Charlie

2x = y
4(x-4) = y - 4
4(x-4) = 2x - 4
4x - 16 = 2x - 4
2x = 12
x (Ellen) = 6
so y (Charlie) = 12