A - 5
T + 3
D + 6
B + 4
U + 5
P + 2
C - 2

January 8th Answer:
6 2 1 2 7 9. The only possible combinations for the first four digits that match the first three conditions are: 6212, 7321, 8432, and 9545. These last two can be eliminated since you create a two-digit number when you add their first and third digits. So the first five digits have to be either 62127 or 73219. We can eliminate 73219 since the sum of its fourth and fifth digits is too large.
Congratulations to BigBlue and Rokapoke for getting it.

R

rokapoke

Decipher A Phrase Using Our Tricky Code Below:

O - 2
A - 5
T + 3
D + 6
B + 4
U + 5
P + 2
C - 2

January 9th Answer:

NICE WORK.

The "code" is the phrase "Decipher A Phrase Using Our Tricky Code Below" -- note the odd capitalization. So "O - 2" goes two letters to the left of the capital O, and so on.

turgy22

Nothing Special
January 10th - Animal Crackers
Each "beastly" movie title below is abbreviated by showing only the first two letters of each word. The underlined words are animals. Only true movie buffs will be able to identify all of the titles.

1. TH LI KI
2. MA OF TH PE
3. GR DA
4. TH SQ AN TH WH
5. TH TR AB CA & DO
6. TH SH HO, DO TH?

January 11th
In each row, change the first letter of the two words to a different letter (the same letter for both) to form two new words. Write the new letter in the blank. These letters will form a word reading down.

MACE ____ SLAG
VISE ____ EELY
BATH ____ EMIT
LIFT ____ WAIT

January 12th
My watch loses six minutes every hour. I set my watch this morning at 7 A.M. using an accurate clock. Now, the time on my watch reads 1:45 P.M.

What is the correct time?

January 9th Answer:
The answer is NICE WORK. Each expression such as D + 6 represents one of the capital letters in the puzzle's instructions and the shift required to reach the answer letter. For example, D + 6 means 6 letters forward from the D in Decipher, which s the letter E.
Nice work, Rokapoke!

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle

1. Lion King
2. March of the penguins
3. Groundhog Day
4. The Squid and the Whale
5. The truth about cats and dogs
6. They shoot horses, don't they

January 11th

MACE - F- SLAG
VISE - R - EELY
BATH - O - EMIT
LIFT - G - WAIT

January 12th
I don't feel good about this one, I feel like I am missing something and taking it to literally.
At that time1:04:30pm, but right now the correct time is 10:20am

R

rokapoke

Each "beastly" movie title below is abbreviated by showing only the first two letters of each word. The underlined words are animals. Only true movie buffs will be able to identify all of the titles.

1. TH LI KI
2. MA OF TH PE
3. GR DA
4. TH SQ AN TH WH
5. TH TR AB CA & DO
6. TH SH HO, DO TH?

Answer:
1. The Lion King
2. Man of the People
3. Groundhog Day (GREAT MOVIE!)
4. The Squid and the Whale
5. The Truth About Cats & Dogs
6. They Shoot Horses, Don't They? (Guessing here)
-- I've written these answers without checking on imdb.com, so take them with a grain of salt.

January 11th
In each row, change the first letter of the two words to a different letter (the same letter for both) to form two new words. Write the new letter in the blank. These letters will form a word reading down.

MACE ____ SLAG
VISE ____ EELY
BATH ____ EMIT
LIFT ____ WAIT

Answer:
MACE __F__ SLAG
VISE __R__ EELY
BATH __O__ EMIT
LIFT __G__ WAIT

January 12th
My watch loses six minutes every hour. I set my watch this morning at 7 A.M. using an accurate clock. Now, the time on my watch reads 1:45 P.M.

Answer:
The correct time is 2:30 pm. The watch accounts for 90% of every hour; the time difference measured by the watch is 6 hours and 45 minutes, or 405 minutes. Dividing this by 0.90 gives the actual time difference of 450 minutes, or 7 hours 30 minutes. Thus, the actual time is 2:30pm.

B

BigBlue

turgy22;276610 said:

1. TH LI KI
2. MA OF TH PE
3. GR DA
4. TH SQ AN TH WH
5. TH TR AB CA & DO
6. TH SH HO, DO TH?

Answers

1) The Lion King
2) March of the Penguins
3) Groundhog Day
4) The Squirrel and the Whale (Probably wrong)
5) The Truth About Cats & Dogs
6) Th Sh Ho, Do Th? (Hmmmm)

January 11th

MACE ____ SLAG
VISE ____ EELY
BATH ____ EMIT
LIFT ____ WAIT

Answers

F
R
O
G

January 12th

Answer

6.75 hours * 6 minutes/hour = 40.5 Minutes
1:45 + 40.5 = 2:25pm and 30 seconds.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Five of the 50 U.S. states are each exactly six letters long. Fit each state's name in the proper row in the grid. (The third letter of each state is given.) When you're done, read down the indicated column to spell out the nickname of one of those states.

_ _ _ V _ _ _
_ _ _ _ _ A _ _ _
_ _ E _ _ _
_ _ _ _ _ _ W _ _ _
_ _ N _ _ _

January 10th Answers:
1.The Lion King
2.March of the Penguins
3.Groundhog Day
4.The Squid and the Whale
5.The Truth About Cats & Dogs
6.They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
Congratulations, Mooseman, for getting all six correct! One title was missed each by Rokapoke (People aren't animals) and BigBlue (Squirrels can't swim).

January 11th Answer:

FROG

Everyone got this right, so no one is special.

January 12th Answer:

2:30 P.M.

Congratulations, Rokapoke, for getting this one correct, along with the correct math required to derive the answer.

R

rokapoke

January 13

Five of the 50 U.S. states are each exactly six letters long. Fit each state's name in the proper row in the grid. (The third letter of each state is given.) When you're done, read down the indicated column to spell out the nickname of one of those states.

_ _ _ V _ _ _
_ _ _ _ _ A _ _ _
_ _ E _ _ _
_ _ _ _ _ _ W _ _ _
_ _ N _ _ _

Answer:

_NEVADA
___ALASKA
OREGON
____HAWAII
KANSAS

The letters spell "ALOHA," the nickname of Hawaii.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
JANUARY 13TH

_ N E V AD A
_ _ _ A L A S K A
O R E G O N
_ _ _ _ H A W A I I
K A N S A S

turgy22

Nothing Special
A banquet hall contains only chairs and round tables, and has 10 chairs at every table. Each table has 8 legs and each chair has 4 legs. The total number of legs on all of the chairs and tables is 960. What is the maximum number of people that can be seated (one per chair) at a banquet in this hall?

January 13th Answer:

_ N E V A D A
_ _ _ A L A S K A
O R E G O N
_ _ _ _ H A W A I I
K A N S A S

Rokapoke and Mooseman both got it right.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
January 14th Answer:
960/48 (total # of legs)/(total # of legs per table w/10 chairs) =20
20 (total # of tables) * 10 (chairs per table) = 200 max people that can be seated

turgy22

Nothing Special
Add the same letter (represented by a question mark) to the letters in each group below and then rearrange then to form a common English word for each group. What are the four words?

Group 1: O E N ?
Group 2: R E O ?
Group 3: C I N I U C H ?
Group 4: T E S ?

January 14th Answer:

200 people.

Congratulations to Mooseman, who got it correct. You can check his answer for the math, as I don't feel like writing it all out.

E

EricBess

January 15th Answer:

Group 1: ZONE
Group 2: ZERO
Group 3: ZUCCHINI
Group 4: ZEST

B

BigBlue

turgy22;276857 said:
Add the same letter (represented by a question mark) to the letters in each group below and then rearrange then to form a common English word for each group. What are the four words?

Group 1: O E N ?
Group 2: R E O ?
Group 3: C I N I U C H ?
Group 4: T E S ?
Answer: (Incorrect - Way to go EB!)

I'm going w/ C as ? (OK, try S)
1) Once Eons
2) Core Sore
3)
4) Sect Sets

turgy22

Nothing Special
Add one letter to the four letters at each "base" to form the word for a player on a Major League Baseball team. [As in, the name of the team, but not pluralized, like a player on the Mets would be a Met. This confused me at first. -Eric] Then take those added letters and add one more to form yet another team player.

1st Base: V E R B
2nd Base: E P D A
3rd Base: L A Y R
Home Plate: I R G E

January 15th Answer:

The missing letter is "Z": zucchini, zest, zero, zone.

A big congratulations to EricBess for solving that one! For some reason, I couldn't get Dennis Kucinich's name out of my head for group 3.

R

rokapoke

turgy22;276951 said:
Add one letter to the four letters at each "base" to form the word for a player on a Major League Baseball team. [As in, the name of the team, but not pluralized, like a player on the Mets would be a Met. This confused me at first. -Eric] Then take those added letters and add one more to form yet another team player.

Answer:
1st Base. BrAve
2nd Base. PadRe
3rd Base. ROyal
Home Plate. Tiger

Pitcher's Mound: AStro

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
January 16th Answer:

1st Base: V E R B + A = Brave
2nd Base: E P D A + R = Padre
3rd Base: L A Y R + O = Royal
Home Plate: I R G E + T = Tiger
A R O T + S = Astro

B

BigBlue

turgy22;276951 said:

Answer:

1) Brave (A)
2) Padre (R)
3) Royal (O)
4) Tiger (T)

Which gives you an Astro (S).