Daily Brainteaser

Discussion in 'Games Run By CPA Members' started by turgy22, Jan 5, 2009.

1. turgy22 Nothing Special

The letters C-L-U-E have been removed from the words below, with any resulting spaces closed up. The letters C-L-U-E always appear in order, though never all consecutively. What are the words?

1. AGRIUTR
    2. EXDD
    3. SUBAS
    4. MISACLAT
    5. ODINSS
    6. RESIV
    7. ENOSR
    8. OLEAG

July 21st Answer:

2. rokapoke Man Among Gods

July 22

The letters C-L-U-E have been removed from the words below, with any resulting spaces closed up. The letters C-L-U-E always appear in order, though never all consecutively. What are the words?

1. AGRIUTR
    2. EXDD
    3. SUBAS
    4. MISACLAT
    5. ODINSS
    6. RESIV
    7. ENOSR
    8. OLEAG

Answer:
    1. agriCuLtUrE
    2. exCLUdEd
    3. subCLaUsE
    4. misCaLcUlatE
    5. CLoUdinEss
    6. reCLUsivE
    7. enCLosUrE
    8. ColLeagUE
  3. turgy22 Nothing Special

In each row, change the first letter of the two words to a different letter (the same for both) to form two new words. Write the new letter in the blank. These letters will form a word reading down.

GAIT ___ CHIP
    FLOE ___ GRID
    MICE ___ LAST
    OMIT ___ ALMS

July 22nd Answers:

1. agriculture
    2. excluded
    3. subclause
    4. miscalculate
    5. cloudiness
    6. reclusive
    7. enclosure
    8. colleague
  4. rokapoke Man Among Gods

July 23

In each row, change the first letter of the two words to a different letter (the same for both) to form two new words. Write the new letter in the blank. These letters will form a word reading down.

GAIT ___ CHIP
    FLOE ___ GRID
    MICE ___ LAST
    OMIT ___ ALMS

Answer:
    Wait / Whip
    Aloe / Arid
    Vice / Vast
    Emit / Elms

WAVE.
  5. turgy22 Nothing Special

July 24th
    Find the number that best completes the following sequence.

6 31 156 ____ 3906

July 25th - Go Figure
    Fill in the blanks with spelled-out numbers to make the statement true. (Imagine a pentagon around the following statement - I can't draw it and don't feel like scanning.)

In this
    pentagon
    there are
    _____ O's,
    _____ T's
    and _____ G's

July 23rd Answer:

WAVE
  6. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

July 24th

6 31 156 ____ 3906

Answer:

781 (the pattern is the number * 5 + 1

July 25th - Go Figure
    Fill in the blanks with spelled-out numbers to make the statement true. (Imagine a pentagon around the following statement - I can't draw it and don't feel like scanning.)

In this
    pentagon
    there are
    _____ O's,
    _____ T's
    and _____ G's

July 23rd Answer:

I'm assuming you don't count the capitals? If so,

three O's
    four T's
    one G's
  7. rokapoke Man Among Gods

July 24th

6 31 156 ____ 3906

Answer:
    781. If y is the number in the sequence following x, then y = 5x + 1.

July 25th - Go Figure

In this
    pentagon
    there are
    _____ O's,
    _____ T's
    and _____ G's

Answer:
    three, six, two
  8. turgy22 Nothing Special

Clarification for the July 25th puzzle: the capital letters DO count towards the totals.
  9. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

In that case, my answer does mirror rokapoke's.
  10. turgy22 Nothing Special

July 26th
    Fill in the first blank below with a five-letter word that fits the definition. Add one letter and rearrange to make a six-letter word that fits the next definition. Then add another letter and rearrange to make a seven-letter word that fits the last definition.

Like argon __________
    Point in the right direction __________
    Peanut butter is one source of it __________

July 27th
    A punny question with enumeration (2 3 3 1 7, 4 2 3 4?) is coiled in the grid below. To spell it out, start on the "I" at the upper right and keep moving letter to letter, always going to an adjacent letter in any direction until you get to the question mark. Every letter in the grid will be used once only.

E K C I I
    N D O H F
    ? S E C Y
    L I T A O
    W Y C T U
    O F R I H

July 24th Answer:

July 25th Answer:

four, five, two is the answer provided by the puzzle, but three, six, two also works
  11. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

July 25th Answer:

four, five, two is the answer provided by the puzzle, but three, six, two also works

So how do you get the answer provided by the puzzle?

July 27th
    A punny question with enumeration (2 3 3 1 7, 4 2 3 4?) is coiled in the grid below. To spell it out, start on the "I" at the upper right and keep moving letter to letter, always going to an adjacent letter in any direction until you get to the question mark. Every letter in the grid will be used once only.

E K C I I
    N D O H F
    ? S E C Y
    L I T A O
    W Y C T U
    O F R I H

Answer:

If you hit a chicken, does it cry fowl?
  12. rokapoke Man Among Gods

July 26th
    Fill in the first blank below with a five-letter word that fits the definition. Add one letter and rearrange to make a six-letter word that fits the next definition. Then add another letter and rearrange to make a seven-letter word that fits the last definition.

Like argon __________
    Point in the right direction __________
    Peanut butter is one source of it __________

Answer:
    Inert, Orient, Protein

July 27th

Answer:
  13. turgy22 Nothing Special

Rearrange the letters of each flower to fill in the blanks. For example, ROSE rearranged could turn P____NALITY into PERSONALITY.

Flowers: ASTER, LILAC, LOTUS, TULIP, PANSY

WHATCHAMA_____T
    AB_____ELY
    M_____LEX
    MAIN_____M
    _____SE

July 26th Answers:

inert, orient, protein

July 27th Answer:

Just work backwards. Start by filling in "two" for the G's, which is the easiest one since no spelled-out number less than eight will give you an extra G. That gives you "five" T's, which adds no extra letters. You're left with 3 O's, which you can raise to 4 by filling in the word "four".
  14. rokapoke Man Among Gods

July 28

Rearrange the letters of each flower to fill in the blanks. For example, ROSE rearranged could turn P____NALITY into PERSONALITY.

Flowers: ASTER, LILAC, LOTUS, TULIP, PANSY

WHATCHAMA_____T
    AB_____ELY
    M_____LEX
    MAIN_____M
    _____SE

Answers:
    whatchamaCALLIt -- lilac
    abSOLUTely -- lotus
    mULTIPlex -- tulip
    mainSTREAm -- aster
    SYNAPse -- pansy
  15. turgy22 Nothing Special

A palindrome is a word, sentence, or group of words that reads the same backward and forward. What palindrome is suggested by the following clue?

A sign at a fruit store saying they are out of some items.

N _ . _ _ _ _ _ S, . _ _ . _ _ _ _ _

July 28th Answers:

whatchamacallit
    absolutely
    multiplex
    mainstream
    synapse
  16. rokapoke Man Among Gods

July 29
    A palindrome is a word, sentence, or group of words that reads the same backward and forward. What palindrome is suggested by the following clue?

A sign at a fruit store saying they are out of some items.

N _ . _ _ _ _ _ S, . _ _ . _ _ _ _ _

Answer:
    No melons, no lemon.
  17. turgy22 Nothing Special

Jack can paint a certain fence in 40 minutes. Jill, who is faster, can paint the same fence in 10 minutes. Jerry, who is even faster, can paint the same fence in 8 minutes. If all three painters work together, how long will it take them to paint the fence?

July 29th Answer:

"No lemons, no melon" is the answer provided by the puzzle. Rokapoke's answer of "No melons, no lemon" obviously works as well.
  18. rokapoke Man Among Gods

July 30

Jack can paint a certain fence in 40 minutes. Jill, who is faster, can paint the same fence in 10 minutes. Jerry, who is even faster, can paint the same fence in 8 minutes. If all three painters work together, how long will it take them to paint the fence?

Answer:
    Jack = 40 minutes/fence => 0.025 fences/minute
    Jill = 10 minutes/fence => 0.1 fences/minute
    Jerry = 8 minutes/fence => 0.125 fences/minute

Jack + Jill + Jerry = 0.25 fences/minute = 4 minutes/fence
    It will take them 4 minutes to paint the fence together. I think.
  19. EricBess Active Member

July 30

Answer:
    I used fractions, but yes, 4-minutes is correct. Jack paints the fence in 40 minutes, so each minute, he paints 1/40th of the fence.
    Similary, Jill paints 1/10th (or 4/40ths) of the fence per minute and Jerry paints 1/8th (or 5/40ths) per minute.
    Working together, they paint 1/40th + 4/40ths + 5/40ths of the fence per minute, which is 10/40ths or 1/4th

So together, they paint the fence in 4 minutes, assuming they don't get in each others way and are all trying to paint the fence the same color...In practice, more people means painting each other so... ;)
  20. turgy22 Nothing Special

July 31st
    Fit the words crossword-style into this grid. We've given you one letter to get you started. To be extra tricky, we've added two extra words to the word list that you won't need to use.

._ _ _ _
    |_|_|_|_|
    |_|_|_|_|
    |_|_|_|_|
    |_|_|_|_|

AIDE SWIG
    GENT TAGS
    IDEA TWIN
    NEAT WIRE
    SAWN WREN

August 1st - In Short
    What do the following words have in common?

INTRODUCTION
    BIOGRAPHY
    EXPOSITION
    LIMOUSINE
    KILOGRAM
    BROTHER
    PSYCHOPATH
    STENOGRAPHER
    RHINOCEROS
    MAYONNAISE

July 30th Answer:

4 minutes