Creatureless Feature -- format

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Illegal commons tournament...

Illegal? How does that work? Do you like roll up commons and smoke some Mary Jane with the last man standing being declared the winner?

N

Notepad

Prince of Bel Air (sp?), I'm glad your second response was calmed down. Reread your last post and it'll probably make sense why everyone was so hostile, and I straight up called you a flamer. At least with things calmed there can be some rational discussion.

Now then, for anybody who wants to judge the the article for themselves, the article can be found here:
http://www.playordraw.com/db/article.asp?id=666
Yeah, not only did I forget to post a link, I forgot to inform Spidey of the article posting. Nice that I got article 666, too. :D

Only fiction in that article is that I'd be dumb enough to put 37 forests in a deck. That was a typo. Doh! Everything else is true. It reads like a story because I like narrating more with a story style than with a technical style. If it sounds like fiction that I opened with Chatter darned near every game...well man, I sure as heck wasn't berating my luck on that. It happened.

Yes, the deck was a piece of junk. The archtype was valid, but the card choices I made were pretty messed up. Had I the option to go back and play the same deck type, I'd make it along the lines of the second deck I listed in the article. The reason I won with the build shown first is for the pure fact of speedy token generation (backed by Treetop Village) and lots of artifact/enchantment hate. The round-by-round reviews will show that discard, countering and even kill were never a problem (because 2-for-1 token spells just get around it). What jammed me up were reusuable bounce and big damage from Megrim and large draw/discard spells.

Yeah, in a Vintage-heavy environment, my deck wouldn't've stood a chance, because the pain draws and bounce would be much more prevalent.

So there's my statement on that. See if you can talk your group/store into holding a T2 or Extended Creatureless tournament. Many crazy ideas come out.

Oh, and I agree, Prismatic (250 cards) is a total pain in the butt. That illegal commons event sounds like one of the worst ideas ever, as it would lead to so much abuse of stuff...that the end to casual formats as your described does seem a nearly guaranteed outcome.

Ticked, but chatty,
-Sefro

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oversoul: It sounds like "illegal" means "more than 4 of a card", which I am inferring from his statement
in which you were allowed to use any number of commons
, since normally you can use any amount of commons as long as it doesn't exceed 4 - otherwise the statement doesn't make too much sense :)

I like the narration style better then the "frank", brief reports you normally see about tourneys. Makes 'em a bit more interesting.

F

Force of Will Smith

Yes by illegal, i meant more than 4. You could only use commons though.the tourney was really silly, and kind of a let down. The winner won a pack.

It was interesting however to see the kind of decks people would try to make..

Many people tried to exploit dark ritual and drain life, others tried llanowar elves and giant growth. One guy tried unholy strengths and vampire bats.

Most people just tried to use burn and mountains.
Different, yes.
Fun... definately not...

One version of Magic a friend and i played was sort of a black suicide, in the truest sense. The idea was to get yourself to zero life. You couldnt mana burn yourself, pay X life. You couldnt deal yourself direct damage, etc. Any damage dealt to you gains you life..
Nothing was banned, usually because only good cards were banned and the idea was to run fast games and make use of seldomly used cards.

We tried a couple of variants, but it basically ran down to having the fastest black deck that destroys you.. once we all found the "best" cards to use.. games would usually take 3 minutes or so.. and there were some "god" cards.
Without the turn 1 losses, it was kinda fun.. using foul imps, serpent warriors and the like..

Muderous Betrayal was good, Ebon Drake would be amazing..

Doomsday and infernal contract set you on a clock

T1: Swamp, Spoils of the Vault .... Game
next game

T1: Swamp
T2: Swamp, Ritual, Nefarious Lich... Game

we both to this day have 1 deck...

F

Force of Will Smith

Not sure.. It would have to be really really fast..

Discard i think would work better..

We only tried this format between 3 people. Everyone else was just baffled why we were playing with such craptastic cards.

you kind of have to look at older cards in a new light..

Lich=Game
Nefarious Lich=Game
Michievious Poltergeist= Game (2B)
Ethereal Champion=Game (2WWW)
Spatial Binding=Game (UB)
Deepwood Ghoul=Game (2B)
SoulDrinker=Game (3B)
Phyrexian Colossus=Game(7 or tinker/3)
Anavolver w/ black kicker=Game (3GB)
Degavolver w/ Black kicker=Game (2WB)
Martyr's Tomb=Game (2WB)
Unspeakable Symbol w/ 1 creature=Game (1BB)
Nightmare Lash +2 creatures= Game (4mana)
Wall of Blood=Game (2B)
Spoils of the Vault= Game (B)

2 4cc

4 3cc

Leveler= 1 turn clock
Thoughtlash= 1 turn clock

Sylvan Library can net you -8 life per turn, + 2 more cards.

Lim Dul's Vault can usually take away 8-10 Life and get your kill card so

Lim Dul's= 1 turn clock/game

Decomposition on your own black creature loses you
a cumulative 1 life. So assuming you do nothing else it'll kill you in 6 turns.

Sirocco with a hand fun of counters can kill you in a single turn.

4 life per blue inst/sorcery

Lurking Evil= Half Life
Death Wish=Half Life
Infernal Contract= Half Life/ 5 turn clock
Murderous Betrayal=Half life per 3 mana

Reckless Spite (1BB for 5, -2 Creatures)
Vendetta, Devour in Shadow and
Withering Boon are good anti creatures..

I suppose if i wanted to slow it down a bit remove any

Pay 1 life: do something

in which case deepwood ghoul would be banned:D
It would also allow it to have the interplay of anti creature spells with life sucking creatures like ebon drake, grimclaw bats, and sewer rats

Filthy Cur would be amazing Defense.
Wretched Anurid
Ebonblade Reaper could all be fast enough.
Rust elemental (4 for 4 life per turn)
Dross Harvester(1bb for 4 life per turn)

Grim Reminder could kill you if there was enough time for a metagame.

If that pay life: cards were removed then Ritual would have to be dropped, simply because you need it to compete..

I think either heavy discard, especially Unmask, and counter would wreck...as well as a green black..

As of yet, almost nothing stands a chance to the power of

2 4cc
4 3cc
1 1cc
selfkills, and even with those you could fetch a vamp tutor, losing you life to fetch your spoils.

Should there be bannings or more restrictions?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I'd probably go with something boring like a Lightning Bolt deck...

For the suicide thing, what about just decking oneself with Demonic Consultation for Black Lotus?

F

Force of Will Smith

Oh yeah.. They made a version of spoils of the vault that didnt require you to lose the life :)

hehe.. okay then

20 Swamps
4 Dark Ritual
4 Vampiric Tutor
4 Demonic consultation
4 Spoils of the Vault
4 Spatial Binding
4 Michievious Poltergeist
4 Deepwood Ghoul
4 Wall of Blood
2 Nefarious Lich
2 Unspeakable Symbol
2 Leveler
2 Murderous Betrayal

maybe it would be a little more balanced if everything was restricted to 1.

half the deck of t1 kills is a bit overpowered.. and with 1 per, discard and LD could potentially overpower it.

The funniest part is that this 2nd deck could actually kill.

20 Swamps/ Islands/ Plains/Painlands
1 Dark Ritual
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Doomsday
1 Infernal Contract
1 Demonic consultation
1 Spoils of the Vault
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Death Wish

Artifacts:
1 Rust Elemental
1 Nightmare Lash
1 Leveler

Enchantments:
1 Murderous Betrayal
1 Spatial Binding (BU)
1 Martyr's Tomb (WB)
1 Carnival of Souls
1 Nefarious Lich
1 Unspeakable Symbol

Spells:
1 Ashes to Ashes
1 Thoughtlash
1 Crippling Fatigue
1 Reckless Spite
1 Vendetta
1 Devour in Shadow
1 Withering Boon

Creatures:
1 Phyrexian Scuta
1 Filthy Cur
1 Wretched Anurid
1 Serpent Warrior
1 Lurking Evil
1 Dross Harvester
1 Michievious Poltergeist
1 Ebonblade Reaper
1 Degavolver
1 Deepwood Ghoul
1 Hasran Ogress
1 Foul Imp
1 Wall of Blood
1 Soul Drinker
1 Ebon Drake
1 Grimclaw Bats

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Originally posted by Force of Will Smith
Oh yeah.. They made a version of spoils of the vault that didnt require you to lose the life
No, they made a horrible, horrible replacement to Demonic Consultation that should never see play in any deck that is not trying to kill itself... :rolleyes:

Killer Joe

I would think that an "Illegal" tournament would mean that it was sanctioned (like type II) with points and all but a different format.

For a 'creature-less" format I might play something like this:

UGR
4. Prophetic Bolt
4. Counterspell
4. Fire/Ice
4. Repulse
4. Call of the Herd
4. Mana Leak
4. Accumulated Knowledge
2. Lightning Greaves
2. Suffocating Blast
4. Rancor

3. Faerie Conclave
2. Treetop Village
Forests/Mountains/Islands

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Illegal is not and has never been synonymous with unsanctioned.

1. Prohibited by law. 2. Prohibited by official rules: an illegal pass in football. 3. Computer Science Unacceptable to or not performable by a computer: an illegal operation. n. 1. An illegal immigrant. il·le “gal·ly adv.

I still like the idea of a truly illegal tournament... :D

F

Force of Will Smith

Who knows? :D

An illegal tournament would be cool.
It would be held in a dark alleyway, with bouncers at the door. Winners get whores and crack.

And you can tear up your opponents cards or kill them to force them to take a buy.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Oversoul
Illegal is not and has never been synonymous with unsanctioned.
You can't really go by a straight dictionary definition - you need context too.

Has there ever been wacky sanctioned tournaments that allowed more than 4 of one card after that rule was instituted?

Originally posted by Force of Will Smith
And you can tear up your opponents cards...
You don't need to be playing in a dark alley for that - just play Iron Man! :p

F

Force of Will Smith

What's involved with iron man? Do you just destroy a bunch of cards, as you play them if theyre spells, and when creatures die?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Best played with cards from the "Starter" set. Be sure to tear the rare Goblin Hero up into tiny pieces. :D