CPA was mentioned at magicthegathering.com!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Could be, but was it actually? The only other card I remember getting fussed over with At EOT was Thawing Glaciers...

Ferret

Staff member
What else was there that caused a concern way back when?
Funny you should ask. We were also concerned at the fact that many articles published by WotC were talking about the "tournament viability" of cards.

Like, we care. We love the game . We love finding ways to make bad cards work. We wanted to be acknowledged as the no-longer silent majority. And, as a result, we have.

-Ferret

"Mission accomplished! Now, let's talk about reprinting Sorrow's Path..."

T

train

Could be, but was it actually? The only other card I remember getting fussed over with At EOT was Thawing Glaciers...
Locally - it was sneak attack - because I ran one... a nasty one... people weren't happy - and I was winning the first few tourneys in my Magic-life... ever...

But it caused a lot of rules questions to come up... the biggest was Waylay... and they jsut decided to errata it based on the intent of the card... and not the abuse of the rules...

And now we can do it all over again with Sneak Attack... and brushhopper(see judgement FAQ), and everything that says AEoT...

Mission accomplished! Now, let's talk about reprinting Sorrow's Path..."
Ran a sorrow's path deck... when I still played blue... basically the opponent was donated or "given" the path... and then I would Icy manipulator the thing...

I think that's the real reason Icy was made...;)

E

EricBess

Sneak Attack was never considered a problem because it gave your creature Haste anyway. Corpse Dance also gave your creature haste, but it was a bit more of an issue than Sneak Attack because of the mana commitment. Sneak Attack is one red to activate, so being able to do it on your opponent's EOT instead of your turn made little difference. Corpse Dance was a bit more abusive because it is always better to tap out on your opponents EOT than your own main phase.

Still, it's ability wasn't that much different for the cost, so it wasn't a concern. Waylay was a huge effect for the mana cost and the 3 mana untapped could prevent Status or some other enchantment.

Ferret

Staff member
Train, you're going to hate this, but believe it or not, Sorrow's Path has erata. Sad, isn't it? The effect only takes place if you tap it for its intended purpose of switching blockers...

-Ferret

"...I miss the damage prevention phase..."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Funny you should ask. We were also concerned at the fact that many articles published by WotC were talking about the "tournament viability" of cards.
I actually meant in context of what else was causing problems at the "at EOT" step, which was why I quoted your particular statement in the previous post :)

Ferret

Staff member
Oh yeah. I knew that - memory's getting fuzzy in my old age :)

-Ferret

"need coffee badly..."