CPA was mentioned at magicthegathering.com!

R

Rando

Neat, huh?

It's Arron Forsythe's article on the banned and restricted list. My quote is on Black Vice, Jess Peterson of Kansas City.

I thought it was kinda cool.

jp

W

WickedBoy6

Issuing errata isn't even really a consideration anymore, as we feel that doing so is more damaging than it's worth. Casual players really, really hate errata. (In fact, the Casual Players Alliance was formed because of the errata issued to Waylay in August of 1999. True story.)
That is so unbelievably awesome. I wonder what the story was about Waylay...

T

train

More than likely it was that waylay used to be a ball lightning... now it's not(necessarily)...

the way end of turn worked... you'd cast waylay at the end of another player's turn, after the at end of turn stack was created, and the tokens would be in play on your side during your turn... so you have 3-2/2's for only 3 mana... and they could attack... it was gruesome... Errata made it playable only during combat i believe...

W

WickedBoy6

Heh...Sounds like great fun :D Almost makes me wanna build that T1 White Weenie I was thinking about earlier.

T

train

1WW is pretty strong actually... it's worth building even without waylay ball lightning attacks...

J

Jigglypuff

Type 1 White Weenie is strong in places where there are a lot of Sligh and Stompy running around because WW has the best combat abilities. In environments where people are playing mostly control and combo, WW is pretty bad because their combat abilities suddenly are almost useless because there isn't as much blocking going on. And white doesn't have Sligh's burn or green's cheap pump to accelerate the kill, so it's much more likely that The Deck will take control of the game or that you'll be combo'ed out.

(- Steve -)

W

WickedBoy6

That's true. Hey, it's a good casual deck, though, that's all I care about.

T

train

Puff's got a great point... and that's why I usually pack a few armageddons in there... unless they're playing blue... they'd better have land in hand... or moxen on the table...

J

Jigglypuff

It is a good casual deck, especially because most casual players aren't going to be playing "power" Type I. It can be built rather cheaply because it doesn't rely on any of the Power 9 and most of it's best cards are common and uncommon.

(- Steve -)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
And I agreed that Waylay needed errata, which is why I'm not a Founder. I came here several months afterwards (as you can see by my "Joined by") because pretty much everyone worth talking to at the Dojo message boards had moved here :)

Although I disagreed with the errata Waylay got; I thought it should have been changed from "at EOT" to "until EOT". Then you could still play the tokens outside of the combat phase.

T

train

That wouldn't be bad errata, but with a fervor in play... you'd still have double the normal number of ball lightnings in every deck... except the waylays only need 1 color specific mana to be cast...

But I guess with a fervor in play - this can still be done...

*goes off to make a blitzkrieg deck...*

A

Apollo

Haha... think about what you're saying here--it's still Fervor, after all...

T

train

well... they'd better be running enchantment countrol... a second turn fervor isn't all that bad either....

R

Rando

Now wait just a second.

How did my ego stroking thread get hijacked into this?

I don't understand. :(

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Twas me... yours was more Magic related than Off-Topic, so I moved it here, then I saw the other magicthegathering thread I thought both should be merged together.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

I like that we got mentioned...
...but there's a difference between the reasoning behind the waylay errata and the reasoning behind any other potential errata. This distinction is important to remember before we start talking about casual players not liking errata.

Waylay's errata was good for ending rampant abuse of the card's timing rules. What was bad about it, what I presume the founders took issue with, and what I take issue with, is that the errata prevented people from using other cards to give haste.
Certainly as that involves another card, the power level goes down, so it isn't abusive. The course of the game does not swing wildly when it is used in this way. It could have been erattaed so that the tokens died at the beginning of a turn, because combat only instants are lame.

However I don't know how many casual players would get sad about Illusions of Grandeur errata.
That card's flaw is because of old expectations about card use that were in the minds of the designers of Ice Age. That set was at one point slated to be the first expansion! It still tells you to choose a target for local enchantments when you play them! Maybe they were errataed after the fact... but keep in mind there is technically nothing wrong with your Regeneration targeting a random creature, or the enchanted creature. Enchantments can have targets outside of the cards they enchant; at least I don't see any reason why they'd make a rule against it.
So sure, Illusions is still functional...
Yet they errataed those other cards, which were made with other expectations for use in mind.
I doubt whoever designed Illusions of Grandeur expected it to be combined with donate, because nothing like Donate existed at the time. You could exchange control of stuff, including creatures and land, and you could copy stuff, and you could take stuff, but except maybe for steal enchantment (if there was one anyway) enchantments were exempt, IIRC. Also no one thought of giving stuff away, EXCEPT MaRo. Good for him.

Cards may be rotated or nudged into disuse, OR they may be errataed. These are different solutions to different problems, and each is useful, so we shouldn't overlook either.

Errata Illusions of Grandeur, please.
We can unban Dark Ritual in extended now too.

While we're at it let's reopen the waylay debate, for old times' sake. :)