CPA Voting Issues: Classic Spells

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
By popular demand, I'll be posting this as a Voting Topic in a couple weeks, so I thought I'd start a thread here to discuss it. The topic is Classic Spells, and what we're looking for here is your thoughts on what classic non-creature cards you'd like to see reprinted in the basic set. Please limit your choices to one card, and try to make it a card that was around from the very beginning.

Let's talk about it! :D

F

Fire Slinger

I'll start this off with a simple spell that's been around forever...Counterspell!!

It's the best blue counter in existance (expect maybe WoF).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, what first comes to mind for me is Lightning Bolt. It might be overpowered but by golly, you can only have 4 in a 60 card deck! :) And it's red.

R

Rando

Ballance.
The most powerful card ever made. And don't argue with me.

P

Purple_jester

Just a concern, won't people tend to vote for the card in their favorite color? For example, if you posted as choices: Wheel of Fortune, Demonic Tutor, Timetwister, Balance, Regrowth. Red players would pick the Wheel, hands down.

Maybe you should start with one color for one week and work your way down, possibly ending with classic artifacts? :)

Oh, does classic limit itself to original Alpha-Beta edition cards? If so, my vote is, Ancestral Recall. I know it will be banned in Type 2 even before the set comes out, but hey, every blue player deserves 1 for casual play. ;)

Z

Zadok001

Cards that should be up for reprint?

False Orders
The Dual Lands
Braingeyser
Copy Artifact
KUDZU! (I'm kidding on that one, guys.)
Invisibility (yeah, like Infiltrate is broken)
Camoflague!
Raging River

R

Rando

May I call you PJ?

Since white is my fav. color, the first thing I thought of was Balance.
Who choses this weeks color?

A

arhar

Illusionary Mask
Blaze of Glory !!!
WORD OF COMMAND
Lich

those are the classics.... love the artwork on Word of Command

R

rkoelsch

Balance. I don't miss the bolt at all. It practically made all decks creatureless. the creature had to be able to survive a bolt or innocous enough to not warrant one.

M

Mr_Pestilence

Swords to Plowshares, followed closely by Drain Life. If these aren't old enough, how about Heaven's Gate, which works great with Anarchy!

R

rakso

Having things from Ancestral Recall to The Abyss and Mana Drain reprinted might not be so much fun, but how about the funnier commons like Impulse?

J

Jaws10387

TAG GUARD

lets see...

Lightning Bolt
Incinerate
Counterspell
FoW
Mana Drain
and oh yeah
Time Walk j/k :)

Killer Joe

31.) Sewer Rats
32.) Brown Ouphe
33.) Ghazbahn Ogre
3????????????! What?! Did you say, "Limit to only one choice?" Oh......well...............let me start at 1.) again.

COUNTERSPELL!!!!!

Ferret

Staff member
Classic Spell?

I like to think that classic spells have to be a combination of small casting cost and virsatility. Let's look at a few that fit the bill:

B: Hymn to Tourach - if your opponent has cards this is usefull
U: Boomerang - always usefull
G: Sylvan Library - the best way to make sure you're getting the card you want
R: Lightning Bolt - cheap, efficient damage
W: Balance - the ultimate equalizer

-Ferret

"...and for Artifacts? Howling Mine, of course..."