CPA-Built Decks Tournament

To those of you who have a deck and want to play a tourney, do you...

• ...want to start the tournament after everyone has played everyone else once?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ...want to start the tournament now?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
That'd be up to everybody. I feel that if everybody else wants to start the tourney now, then no more new games. But, what do the rest of you guys think?

Ransac, cpa trash man

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spiderman said:
Personally, as one of the decks that are not highlander, I don't think I have an advantage as seen by my win-loss record.
Maybe, maybe not. But I mopped the floor with BigBlue despite drawing bad opening hands both games, and you're mopping the floor with me so far, despite average-seeming hands both games. Some of that, to be sure, is luck and how well certain strategies work against others. I don't know that having multiple copies of cards had given your deck (or Ransac's) an unfair advantage, but I initially suspected that it would. Maybe I was hasty in making that call. Perhaps the fact that those were the first two decks we built will give them a disadvantage. I haven't followed all of the games closely enough to be sure.

Also, haven't some of these decks seen a lot more play than others? I've played all of three games (going on four) and two different opponents with mine. If one of the others has been played even less (not sure if this is the case), wouldn't its pilot have a disadvantage facing one of the people who has already played several games outside of the tournament?

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
So, what suggestions do we have right now.

Do we want some of the newer decks to play a little to gain some play experience?

Do we want to start the tourney right now?

Do we want to give new cards to Ransac/Spidey (Just a side-note: I have 3 Celestial Dawns, 2 Land Tax, 2 BoP, etc.)?

Anything is fine with me. I just wanna play.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oversoul: Eh, I'm glad you think I'm mopping the floor with you, because it doesn't seem that way to me (well, at least the second game). Anyway, I believe the only thing non-highlander about my deck is that I have three or four Polluted Deltas and a couple of Undermines (from what I remember). If you go back and read my game threads, I usually win one game (the first, if I do) but then collapse the next two.

Anyway, I'm with Ransac on all of his ideas EXCEPT with the added Mooseman suggestion of allowing "side" games to continue (purely for selfish reasons, as I am now in the process of playing everyone :) ). So whatever you guys decide is fine with me: Start now or wait until the later decks have some experience (in which case, you guys gotta get cracking because there's not a lot of games going on right now - aside from mine, maybe one or two more), give my and Ransac's decks new cards to make them highlander or keep them as is, whatever :)

D

DarthFerret

I say since even the poll agreed, we start the tourney now. I do not see any reason why we cannot continue to have the side games. It cannot hurt anything. I say keep the decks the way they are. I don't think there is too much of an unfair advantage, and if there is we will surely know after the tournament. Let's just get this party started, see how it works, and then we will know for the next time.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Okay, then we'll get started. If you don't mind I'll randomly determine the brackets.

Deck 2 vs. Deck 8
Deck 6 vs. Deck 4
Deck 5 vs. Deck 1
Deck 3 vs. Deck 7

Okay, let's see what decks these are.

Spiderman B/U vs. Hrothmar Creatureless
DarthFerret 5-Color vs BigBlue U/G
Mooseman U/R vs. Ransac R/G/W/U
Oversoul R/W vs. Limited B/R/W

If no one has a problem with the brackets, we can start.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Hey hrothmar, since we're already playing, do you want to scrap it in favor of the tourney match, wait until we're done, or have both going on the same time? :)

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Just clarifying as well (as if I needed to), we're playing best-of-three game matches.

If anybody happens to make any mistakes during the game, try to work it out. If a disagreement occurs, post here for us to discuss.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I've been under the impression that it'll be elimination. Once again, it depends on what everyone wants. I've been setting it up as if it's elimination, but the set-up can easily be changed.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Okay, perhaps taking my deck (at least) to highlander would've been a good thing. Thanks to multiple Land Taxes in my deck, I've played them on my first turn for each of the games I've played with Mooseman.

After this tourney, the highlander rule needs to be with every deck onward.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Should we give hrothmar's deck to someone else? It's been a week, he's been on a couple of times, but he hasn't replied to any of the threads...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Deck 2 vs. Deck 8
Deck 6 vs. Deck 4
Deck 5 vs. Deck 1
Deck 3 vs. Deck 7

Okay, let's see what decks these are.

Spiderman B/U vs. Hrothmar Creatureless
DarthFerret 5-Color vs BigBlue U/G
Mooseman U/R vs. Ransac R/G/W/U

Results: Ransac wins 2-0