CPA-Built Decks Tournament

To those of you who have a deck and want to play a tourney, do you...

• ...want to start the tournament after everyone has played everyone else once?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ...want to start the tournament now?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Build-a-deck 8, I mentioned a concept of taking the 8 decks we've made and having a single-elimination tourney with them. These are the decks we have.

CPA Deck 1 R/W/U/G: Ransac
CPA Deck 2 U/B: Spiderman
CPA Deck 3 R/W: Oversoul
CPA Deck 4 U/G: BigBlue
CPA Deck 5 U/R: Mooseman
CPA Deck 6 5-Color: DarthFerret
CPA Deck 7 BRW: Limited
CPA Deck 8 Creatureless: hrothmar

Spidey asked if we were to face everyone else at least once before the tourney, but I think I'll ask all of you guys this first.

Are you guys up for something like this?

EDIT: I made the poll public and will only count the votes of those who have a "build a deck".

Ransac, cpa trash man

H

hrothmar

it'll take forever to play everybody before the tournament. Lets just hustle!

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Truth be told, we'd still have to wait on Spidey to get back from vacation, but ASAP is the majority right now.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I'd have said this before I got slaughtered by Spiderman last round, but the first two decks have the advantage of not being highlander. If we're going to do a tournament, it should be with decks that all have the same restrictions.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Oversoul said:
I'd have said this before I got slaughtered by Spiderman last round, but the first two decks have the advantage of not being highlander. If we're going to do a tournament, it should be with decks that all have the same restrictions.
So you're saying that we need two more highlander decks?
Then let's start.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
What if we took the two old decks and merely fixed them to BE Highlander?

Once again, I'd wait 'til Spidey got back.

Ransac, cpa trash man

B

BigBlue

Well, I don't think this deck I'm running is going to do very well... Maybe it's because of my draws etc, but it's been atrocious without many glimmers of hope...

I will play whatever format we decide on... I think swiss would be cool... with 8 decks, it'd take what 4 games? (it's been forever since I was a judge who used to know those off the top of my head... isn't it the square root of the number of players plus 1 or something?)

Oh, and we should fix the early decks to be highlander as well. Can we build a sideboard keeping to highlander format?

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
BigBlue said:
Well, I don't think this deck I'm running is going to do very well... Maybe it's because of my draws etc, but it's been atrocious without many glimmers of hope...

I will play whatever format we decide on... I think swiss would be cool... with 8 decks, it'd take what 4 games? (it's been forever since I was a judge who used to know those off the top of my head... isn't it the square root of the number of players plus 1 or something?)

Oh, and we should fix the early decks to be highlander as well. Can we build a sideboard keeping to highlander format?
3 rounds to get 1 undefeated, although ties could muck it all up so do 4 rounds (swiss + 1) and that should get the job done, without a playoff.
If we do single elim, it would be 3 rounds.

Fix to be highlander? Hmmmmmm. Who would do the fixing?

Sideboard? I don't know, would each player sideboard their own deck or would someone else do it? Or the 1 card per person per day rule apply?

B

BigBlue

I dunno, I think each player would build their own sideboard... some of these decks really need more cohesion and another shotgun approach to a sideboard wouldn't help them...

here's the other deal w/ fixing highlander... I think it's got to be a group thing, but the problem is we've already assigned decks, so it's tough to have a "fair" replacement of cards.... so perhaps we should reassign decks at random after we correct them...

Either that, or we completely start from scratch with 8 new decks...

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I say that those with non-highlander decks (myself and Spidey) are the only two that don't contribute to the fixing. But, to those will WILL be doing the fixing, we'll put trust in you that you guys won't completely screw us over with nothing but crap cards. Be fair.

I don't like the idea of coming up with brand new decks. We've been playing these ones for a while.

Oh, and if it's single-elimination, there will be seven games since there'll be seven players elminated.

And I vote for no sideboard.

Ransac, cpa trash man

D

DarthFerret

I vote for no sideboard, leave the decks as they are (I really am not sure that it is that much of an advantage, plus, not like we are playing for money, prizes, etc. Also, it is not like we really built the deck ourselves). I think we are making this harder than it has to be. Lets just play it out, and have a little fun doing so.

D

DarthFerret

Looks like we have over half voting for having it now. Unless I am mistaken, that is the majority.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
SPIDEY!!!!!! GET YOUR moo BACK HERE RIGHT.....

....whoa! New farm noise for the expletives!

Ransac, cpa trash man

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Personally, as one of the decks that are not highlander, I don't think I have an advantage as seen by my win-loss record. You could say the same about the decks that are non-creature format or other formats that are "non-traditional".

I didn't have anything grand planned, just that I'd like to see my deck play out a bit before committing to a tourney, but I guess that was more geared towards the guys who got the later decks. So I guess we can start now... does that mean we scrap our current games?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Can we start new games? Would ongoing "test" games mess up the tourney games? BB is the only one I haven't played yet and I'd like to see how I do before "results matter" :)