CPA Appr Tournament...

A

Almindhra

I say we should have our own tournament on Apprentice...For CPA members...We can decide on a format...And we'll have pairings...And for a match ( best out of 3), the two people have to agree on a set time they can play their match, and they have, I don't know, 1 or 2 days to do it by...They post their match from the Appr text box on here, and they both have to match up and both players have to agree with who won...Single elimination maybe?...

I think its a great idea, and if we can settle the rules and how to play exactly, it will all run smoothly and everyone will have some fun...Please post with ideas and such...

L

Lythand

I am up for it..but we will need like a tourney organizer..one to keep track of scoring..and urge the opponants to play each other..and so fourh and so on

E

Erbrich

I have organized "real" casual play tournaments before and have all the stuff to do it. I suppose if you want me to, I could organize the tournament.
I think it would be a lot of fun.

Erb

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
ummmmm..... [me]points to Type Random announcement on main page and the Type Random forum[/me]

A

Almindhra

But thats not just for CPA members is it?...And doesn't it use ICQ for something?...Does it use Apprentice?

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Well, the only place it's announced is on the CPA page. And it's run how the other online tournaments are: through IRC with Apprentice.

We're just going through MOTL, because Leshrac wrote the software to do it, and I don't feel like writing my own software or writing a pairing bot.

E

Erbrich

I don't know. I wouuld just as soon have a CPA tournament.

Erb

N

nanokill

very cool.:D but you really do need to find some one to organize it for the people going to play. and does any one have ideas for the format.

D

Duel

Um, I hate to bring this up, but what type will we play and what restrictions will there be? This is important for me. Sorry.
I suggest we make our own Banned list. A guy I know named Sakurai did something like that. I think it's actually prtty easy to do.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
[me]does like Ed and points to the Type-Random stuff...[/me]

Type Random IS a CPA-only tournament, and this afternoon's festivities are only the beginning, as this one's only a test tourney to make sure everybody's got the software (and knows how to use it) they'll need to participate. The info on sets allowed, the banned stuff, etc. is all on the Main Page, along with links to places on the Net where you can download whatever you'll need to play.

Ed is organizing it, and several of us have volunteered to help out with things like pairing assignments, results reporting, judging, etc. I would suggest that anyone who'd also like to help out with the work PM Ed and let him know.

It's that easy! :D

P

Purple_jester

Nice idea, especially if it will be a tournament which will extend over the span of a week or two. The Type Random tournament was okay, but people like me don't have time to download or join anything right now, so I can't join that.

You'll have to set a few things:

1. Dates: Very important. But this is actually the last step.

2. Deck Construction Format: There are several ways you can do this. You can stick with DCI banned/restricted lists and formatting. Or, you can make your own formate/banned/restricted lists. You can also do what I've seen done a couple of times: ban certain combos, like Donate + Illusions of Grandeur, Dark Ritual + Hatred, Voltaic Key + Grim Monolith. This will allow players to use certain cards, but will prevent them from abusing them.

3. Tournament Format: This is up to you of course, but for preliminaries, best of 3 is okay for me. Just be sure there's a proper semi-finals and finals.

4. Registration Method: Maybe willing entrants should just PM you or something.

5. Monitoring/Judging: I'm a total loss as to how to implement this. The honesty system could be just fine, but I'm concerned about people who have more than 1 persona on the CPA. I'm not accusing anyone of being dishonest, but those who have more than 1 registered name here could get a technical bye or gain multi-player advantage by entering more than 1 persona.

Were these ideas helpful in any way? I'm willing to discuss them further if you like. ;)

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Almindhra, I'm sorry, but if you want to play Magic online you NEED a program like Apprentice, or the Magic Interactive Encyclopedia. M:IE costs around $50, Apprentice is free. Apprentice works just fine (though the new set patches can be a pain). M:IE is still a bit buggy, from what I understand.

You decide.

PJ, the date is now, the deck construction format is Type Random (this time it includes Revised, Alliances, and Legends), the banned/restricted lists are the ones officially recognized for Type 1 play, we were going to talk about Swiss/single Elim in the chatroom once everybody showed up, registration info is through the links on the Main Page, and the monitoring/judging/pairings is what is enabled by Leshrac's software. That's why you need to register through the link to MOTL.

All this info is on the CPA's Main Page.

So far only 1 player has shown up in the chatroom, so there's plenty of time to get in, and plenty of open spots in the tourney. :rolleyes:

So if anyone has any questions please ask. Thanks.

[Edited by TomB on August 31st, 2000 at 07:01 AM]

S

superguy

Lets make a highlander tourney! Just look at the anmount of replies to gizmo's thread. A lot of people are bound to come. And it is so fun too!

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like the tourney's off for today.

:confused:

We're still in the chatroom though, so stop by if you like.

N

nanokill

a highlander tourney sounds like a good idea but for what sets.

R

Riva Iron-Grip

well i'll play. why dont we play masques block. that way alot of people have to look for combos. and masques block is always fun