Counterfeit article at WOTC

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It affects the name and brand and image of the company which is in WOTC's interest. It's like thinking you're buying a Picasso when you're just buying a cheapo imitation.

T

train

I really don't see how it affects the name, brand and image of the company...

counterfeits, mass prints, and such haven't affected picasso's values... so why would it affect WotC...

I can see it affecting shops and sxellers - but knowing steps to prevent most of this locally - the biggest threat is the internet... and even with these out there - WoTC isn't hurting...

*not trying to be argumentative - but that's the way I see it right now - maybe time would tell otherwise...*:cool:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It's showing people that WOTC doesn't care about their product, that anyone can run over them... I don't have exact examples though, it's all in the head (since Picasso can't defend himself obviously).

I guess a more concrete example is computer piracy now.

I think the secondary market DOES affect WOTC - that's partly why they don't reprint certain cards now, 'cause of the collectors... the tourney scene is another part, but they do care of the collectibility (which is why it's called a TCG)

C

chris92

i am in fact a filipino very much asian and very much a fan of piracy.

i got em all, pirated dvd's and dvd players, vcd's, my console's even modified to play pirated games, pc games, you could find guys selling pirated stuff everywhere, from sidewalks to huge malls. yea and it's not just cd's clothes, watches, perfumes, just about everything, and yes its hard to tell the difference.

the thing is that pirated stuff cost a lot less, but they're quality is less than that of the original, but who cares anyway.

and the great thing is that the foreign companies who are getting ripped of from all the piracy don't care too much, because they consider south east asia too small of a market to even try and get rid of these pirated stuff.

and from experience piracy doesn't cause prices to go up, the local music scene here is really suffering from cd piracy, and guess what happened? they actually lowered they're price 40% just to compete with the pirated cd's :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
and the great thing is that the foreign companies who are getting ripped of from all the piracy don't care too much, because they consider south east asia too small of a market to even try and get rid of these pirated stuff.
That's not exactly true, plenty of foreign (usually American, I think) are concerned about the piracy and are pressing the Asian countries to crack down on it. I think Thailand had a bust a couple of months back. The foreign companies know it's a huge market and beginning to open up more to foreign products.

C

chris92

maybe they are but its either the pressure is a bit loose or my almost hopeless country is just filled to the brim with the most corrupt of public officials. you could actually see policemen buying these pirated wares.
not to take anything from these gov't people, they did launch an anti-piracy drive, but it was too weak, or that piracy is such a booming business that its so hard to stop.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, I agree that there's a long ways to go. I was just saying that they're trying to do something about it, but the success rate (even to the rate of say, North American piracy) is a long ways away.

C

chris92

the piracy issue is up to us realy, if no one buys 'em then they'll be gone in no time. would you buy pirated stuff spidey?

N

Notepad

People will buy pirated wares as long as the true stuff is overpriced just to line the pockets of some CEO who doesn't do a damned thing to deserve the huge piles of cash he's getting.

Why is it, that prices always go up? Year by year?
Why is it, that CEOs get bonuses? Year by year?
Why is it, that minimum wage, and employee wages in general, goe up very very slowly?

...so much for the theory of inflation.

Looks like the only inflation going on is inflation of the Corporate Fat Cat's butt.

T

train

Spidey hasn't had a chance to answer - but my thought is no...

Would I - depends - movies and music and software are not something I'm looking for anyway...

but find me a pirated avalanche sturdy backpacking tent and I'll more than likely buy it...;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I used to pirate software back in my younger days with the Apple ][+, but (maybe it's because I'm older), I tend to buy the "real thing" rather than copies (music, software, movies, whatever). I just want to know I'm getting the quality associated with the real thing rather than a copy.

People will buy pirated wares as long as the true stuff is overpriced just to line the pockets of some CEO who doesn't do a damned thing to deserve the huge piles of cash he's getting.
Well, what is "overpriced"? You're never going to get a concensus on THAT....

Why is it, that prices always go up? Year by year?
Why is it, that CEOs get bonuses? Year by year?
Why is it, that minimum wage, and employee wages in general, goe up very very slowly?
These are rhetorical, right? 'Cause one could argue prices go up, in part, because of piracy (also more people working and paying salary in the company, and manufacturing costs, etc).

I'll agree on the CEO bonuses.

Minimum wage is unfortunately set by law and not by the company (and it doesn't have the automatic "rise" each year that a lot of salaries do).

Businesses are just tricky overall... how everything relates together...

M

mythosx

Ceo's are lunch monkeys. I am a firm believer that if a Ceo who is being paid that much money is tempted to make anymore by screwing over the system. Deserves to be lynched. And no I'm not a lay person who doesn't like getting reamed. Im on the inside. This business major is pissed at the underhanded actions that have taken place in major firms like Tyco and Enron. Those people deserve 20 years and they should have stamp on thier foreheads that say I robbed the general public of billions of dollars.

M

mythosx

Hey man, I wouldn't post that kind of thing here. It could be subpeanoed. I believe the Philipines do have a copywrite/patent agreement with the U.S.

T

train

That you need a good ship, and ship-worthy mates if you're going to get some good looting done on the high seas...:p

M

mythosx

I dunno...maybe lapse in my awareness. We were talking about pirates of the caribean or something?