Counterfeit article at WOTC

N

Notepad

Counterfeiting wouldn't be such a problem if the cards didn't cost so dang much. Sure, it may be a little to hardcore players, but nearly 4 bucks a pack is an insane amount to pay for a tiny stack of cardboard.

Thanks, pirates. Way to keep WotC on their toes.

Killer Joe

To geek's post about proxys. It's even illegal to casually proxy cards. Maybe he ought to tell his friend that.

N

Nightstalkers

Counterfeiting is quite a thing in the Asian community. From Rolex's to WotC merchandise, its the big stuff they usually go for. I myself run across some pretty good copies of rolex's that are just to die for (0.o hmm, now I'm letting too much slip on who I really am...) and I mean it, they're so d*** good that its taking more than the casual glance at them to tell the difference.

As for cards, there is the same thing going on. WotC can "lose" a shipment of their oh so prized ceran wrap and some joker could buy up all the empty pack boxes from some distributer and pack their little boxes full of cardboard clippings to simulate the real thing. How are you going to track a shipping address out of Korea? Rolex can't get anything done with the operations running there as it is because of certain gaps in the copyright laws of the country.

Meh, just my two cen...

Why is it that people will pay a penny for your thoughts but it costs you two cents? I SMELL A RIP OFF!!!! :mad:

XD

D

DeathMaster666

Even if it is illegal, theyre not gonna bust you for it.

R

Reverend Love

That is without a doubt the most intelligent post you've ever had Nightstalkers.

N

Notepad

Indeed, NS has a valid point: I need to move to Korea, also. ;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Heck, back in the 80's my dad used to travel to the Far East quite a lot and "pick up" the latest CD hits... :) They do everything there, from music to computer stuff, even books (someone tried to write the Harry Potter: Order of the Phoenix before it was officially published).

But so far (or so they've said) WOTC hasn't lost their ceran wrap with the symbols on it.

N

Nightstalkers

Originally posted by Spiderman
But so far (or so they've said) WOTC hasn't lost their ceran wrap with the symbols on it.
I haven't found a Rolex dealer that has told me that there has been a leak where they have lost a shipment of boxes that the watches come in. But you find the fake Rolex's boxed up in the real containers (which sell for around $75 on Ebay if you want to get some money back from your mispurchace). Sure you can buy them from Ebay, but I've seen a bloody werehouse filled with these things that have come from intercepted shipments and such. Its not that hard to reproduce something, but its excrutiatingly difficult to reproduce something with all the earmarks and such.

Originally posted by Reverend Love
That is without a doubt the most intelligent post you've ever had Nightstalkers.
Don't let the kids know or I'll be out of a job. :(

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, as the saying, goes, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

I read a couple of weeks ago that the creator of Rolex? Gucci? bought an imitation of theirs on the street and was half amused that someone felt their good were copy-worthable and thus affordable to the masses (after all, it's still the name) and half not-so-amused.

N

Notepad

How hard would it be to make the wrap, anyway? It's just plastic with little bits of white ink. Man, if a company can access video game production equipment or card production equipment, a little fake wrap isn't gonna be hard to get the machines for, either. Duh!

I liked the "We're the law, and you need to listen to us!" nature of the article, but really--these things just suck. Big whup. Next, they'll be telling us the classic lie piracy issues always boils down to:

PIRACY RAISES PRICES!!! :eek:

Wow, and all this time I naively thought greedy corporate fat cats raised prices.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
How hard would it be to make the wrap, anyway?
Well, it depends how closely the receipient looks at it. If they notice the color "smears", as in it's just ink on the wrap, it's not that easy to make. If it's embedded in the wrap like the article implies (like how US money is made), it takes a bit of effort.

Next, they'll be telling us the classic lie piracy issues always boils down to:

PIRACY RAISES PRICES!
You have evidence that if no one pirated anything, prices would not rise?

N

Notepad

Um, no, I was saying folks love to make that red herring argument. "Piracy causes us to raise the prices!" It's such a lame excuse. Lately, its all the video game industry yaps about when they touch the piracy issue. Oh, and stupid music fat cats, too. Supposedly plastic Britney Spears toilet paper costs $25 at Sam Goody all because some college kids decided to swap Metallica songs and clips from Howard Stern's show.

Good grief...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Wel, I think in general it does cause prices to rise. Less people paying for product - less money coming to company/producer/designer/whoever = need to raise prices to keep afloat.

Prices may not need to rise above a certain amount though, but it's just logical.

N

Nightstalkers

Personally, the Best Buy up here has been lowering their music prices ever since the music piracy stuff began. So I don't have a good example of piracy...

I do know that every time someone steals the code for an upcoming game they have to redo it, causing several weeks, or even months of time to be added to the release date.... Its also a great excuse to say that "we got lazy and are not going to make the release date in time."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, music is not the best example because it's been shown that CDs already have an artificially high price tag anyway. The best way to really try to track it is to compare sales of CDs overall vs the number of music downloads and see if one goes down, the other goes up.

T

train

Couterfeit Magic doesn't affect sales - it affects resale - which is not WoTC's cup of tea anyway...:rolleyes: