Counter/Blasto (Hey, Gizmo, check it out)

D

Daenen

I know, this is probably the single most crazy idea that I have ever had. However, I thought, hey, I have never seen a deck like this, so what the hell...
Here it is, my blue/green monstrosity:

Mana Sources (32)
12 Forest
8 Island
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Utopia Tree
4 Quirion Elves
(I learned my lesson. City of Brass vs. Port = bad for me)

Green (12 not including the mana producers)
4 Blastoderm (big bad nasty)
4 Harrow (need islands, NOW!!!)
4 Creeping Mold (no, bad enchantment/land/artifact)

Blue (16)
4 Counterspell
4 Disrupt
4 Fact or Fiction (I love this card)
4 Dominate (MINE, MINE, MINE!!!)

Mind you, this is just a rough sketch, and I have never played this deck against another human being before. Tell me what you think would improve it, or what about it sucks. Thank you in advance.

G

Gizmo

Erm...Yuck?

I think there is probably something to be said for combining blue`s late-game cards (Dominate etc) with Green acceleration, in fact I think the basic idea is really good. But the execution is pretty sucky, IMHO. (sorry)

32 mana + 4 Harrow = only having 24 cards with which to control their 36-40 cards. This is not good.

30 mana, tops, then more countermagic (less Molds and Disrupts, more Thwarts, Powersinks and DESERTIONS). The next problem is that relying on Blasto to kill when you have no removal is REALLY bad, firstly you need to see two in order to kill, and secondly it`s really vulnerable to a chump block or two. You need a couple of more durable threats in here as well as the Blastos.

D

Daenen

I noticed that. I have been goldfishing around for the last couple hours and have not been pleased with the results. Still modifying it, though. Thank you for your advice.

Killer Joe

...I just play as one on T.V. (Tele). :)
Well, here's a list I might explore:
4x BoP's
4x Vine Trellis
4x Land Grant
4x Blastoderm
4x Kavu Titan (gee, need something to do with all that extra land?)
1x Rhox (I'm a big FAT monster!)
4x Power Sink (see Kavu Titan)
4x Rethink
4x Exclude (I think that's the name of the Invasion counterspell for creatures only)
4x Waterfront Bouncer (Removal)
4x Repulse (I think that's the name of the Invasion Unsummon/cantrip card) (more Removal)
10 Forest
10x Island
...and, "YES", I know it's 61 cards, that's just how I operate.
Like I said, I'm just thinking about toying with a ConTroll type deck for the new environment (sp?), Good Luck to you!

BTW, Gizmo: I thought that it was cool to see your name listed on the 'Sideboard' as a pro tour participant, it's one thing for you to tell us, but it's another thing to discover it for ourselves! :)

D

Daenen

10 Forest
13 Island
4 Birds
4 Utopia Trees (or Quirion Elves, haven't decided)

4 Kavu Titan
4 Blastoderm

4 Fact or Fiction
4 Counterspell
3 Thwart
3 Powersink
4 Disrupt
4 Dominate

30 Mana in all, and a 61 card deck.
8 Big fat nasty critters, and the Titan can be early relief or late game beatings.
18 Control cards, four of which are Cantrips
4 of the best card-drawers in type 2.

That should work a lot better.

D

Duel

12 Forests
11 Islands

4 BOP
4 TOP
4 Llanowar
2 Quirion elves (Overlaid terrain? Pulse of llanowar?)

4 Titan
4 Derm
4 Harrow

2 Rising waters
4 Counterspell
3 Disrupt
4 dominate
2 Rootwater thief
4 Prohibit

D

Densmore

why not go with some extra colors,you have 8 sources that produce any color you want.
throw in some sort of mass destruction like armegeddon to slow`em down.

D

Daenen

I will have those in the Sideboard, Armageddon, Wrath of God, whatever suits my fancy at the time.

T

The Magic Jackal

I think this is our time to abuse our new friend, jade leach! I'd probably drop the powersinks (I never liked that card) for 'em. You could probably do w/out some of those titans too. I don't like paying 5 mana for a creature that isn't god (cough*morphling*cough)

N

Namielus

I recommend makeing the green more of a side in, control always needs that oniminous 2 cards in there hand at all times :D just have control + 6 forest and 4 blasto. And play the draw go counter game.

G

Gizmo

Leech sounds like an ideal pick, either that or Lumbering Satyr. Trouble is they cost GG2. What`s good for G3 or G5?

D

Daenen

In the new type 2, the green creatures with 3G cc are:
Darba
Giant Caterpillar
Hunted Wumpus
Saber Ants
Skyshroud Cutter
Squallmonger
Venemous Dragonfly
Vine Dryad
Quirion Trailblazer
Elder Druid
Giant Spider
Radjan Spirit
Stalking Tiger

The creatures with 5G cc are:
Sulam Djinn

Sulam Djinn is probably the best pick out of the listed ones, with Hunted Wumpus being second. However, I do have 8 green mana producers, so Sulam Djinn wouldn't be too good a choice. However, the blue Djinn, Zanam Djinn (5/6 for 5U, flying) would work perfectly.

Here is the new and imroved deck:
14 Island
7 Forest
4 Utopia Tree
4 Birds of Paradise

3 Zanam Djinn
3 Blastoderm

4 Fact or Fiction
4 Counterspell
4 Desertion (Thank you for reminding me about this card, Gizmo)
3 Thwart
3 Disrupt
3 Powersink
4 Dominate

[Edited by Daenen on 10-12-00 at 07:58 AM]

D

Duel

I think he means what costs 3G (pulse of llanowar)

or 5g, for 6 mana total.

Most good spells have GG in their cc. That's what he means.

G

Gizmo

Got it!

Saproling Burst is the card of choice - it`s excellent defense as well as a kick-ass offense, it`s only a single G which makes it easier to use, and it`s largely immune to creature removal. If you aren`t playing the deck competitively then you could also try to run a bunch of Seals and the like, and then splash in white for Hanna and Seal Of Disenchant.

CounterBurst

4 Saproling Burst
2 Blastoderm
(6)

3 Power Sink
4 Counterspell
3 Thwart
2 Foil
2 Desertion
(14)

1 Soothsaying
1 Trade Routes
4 Harrow
3 Fact Or Fiction
(9)

3 Dominate
3 Wash Out
(6)

2 Dust Bowl
3 City Of Brass
6 Forest
14 Island
(25)

If you aren`t playing the deck competitively then you could also try to run a bunch of Seals and the like, and then splash in white for Hanna and Seal Of Disenchant - it gives you more options and the recursion of Hanna gives you good multiplayer tricks as well.

T

The Magic Jackal

I really don't think Saproling burst is the card to have here. It's dreadfully bad against white, and a lot of the time it doesn't deal leathal damage.

My creatures of choice would be blasto and leech. I'll have to think about the ratio of counters that I would like in the deck. It's 1:00, I just got back from the homecoming game, and I'm really tired. I'll see what I can conjure.

D

Duel

The burst I appreciate, though 4 seems a little extensive, especially with so many anti-enchantment/artifact spells floating around. I question only Power Sink.

D

Daenen

I don't really feel comfortable playing Dust Bowl or City of Brass, especially with Port around. Also, I believe that Tsabo's Web will be extreemly popular, so there's another good reason not to play the Dust Bowls.

I can't really see myself not playing the Birds of Paradise. They're the main reason for playing Green. Infact, the acceleration is the only reason to play green.

Forest, Birds, go
Forest (Damn, no Islands), Harrow, go.
WAIT!! Counterspell. Oh, my turn? Yeah!!
Island. Go
OOH!! that's a nice Blastoderm. Desertion.
Turn 3 Desertion is usually a good thing.
After testing around, I found that Harrow is better than the Utopia Tree. (In fact, I personally think that Quirion Elves is better thatn Utopia Tree.)

So, here is the deck as it now stands:
16 Island
8 Forest
4 Birds
4 Harrow
3 Saproling Burst
2 Blasto
3 Power Sink
4 Counter
3 Thwart
2 Desertion
2 Foil
1 Soothsaying
3 Fact or Fiction
3 Dominate
3 Washout.

Jackal, the reason for the Power Sinks is because they are good in this deck. Usually I can Sink for 2 on turn 2. This is usually a good thing. Also, there are a lot of alternate casting cost cards in Masques Block.