3 Ill-gotten gains
4 Vendetta
4 Lightning bolt
4 Sinkhole (Any LD)
4 Pillage
4 Stone rain
4 Rack
18 lands

The main difference is, you WANT them to hold cards. Rack punishes them if they don't, ill-fotten gains can FILL THEIR HAND, and LD stops the big spells. Hell, you can deck them with shocker, if you're lucky.

P

Purple_jester

Actually, if I actually found 4 Shockers, I'd use it with Fire Whip. Of course, Shocker is from Tempest (3 years ago) and the little bug is a rare card. This all translates to one fact: it'll be a cheerful day in the Nine Hells before I find two, let alone 4. Otherwise, I would have used it immediately in a U/B/R Megrim deck.

Rakso: I was actually thinking of using Megrim in a creature-based discard, but I'll have to check if it would actually work. It would probably have to use a vise-effect of pinning the opponent between both Megrim on one end and The Rack on the other end. Maybe something like this:

Damage (8):
4 Megrim
4 Rack

Discard (11):
1 Mind Twist
1 Memory Jar
1 Disrupting Scepter
4 Hymn to Tourach
4 Duress

Creatures (12):
4 Hypnotic Specter
4 Abyssal Specter
4 Ravenous Rats

Extras (9):
4 Dark Ritual
4 Diabolic Edict
1 Demonic Tutor

Lands (22):
18 Swamp
4 Mishra's Factory

D

Duel

Got a nasty megrim deck for you. Been testing it, and it's a beaut:

4 Megrim
2 Demonic Hordes
4 Rain of tears
4 Despoil
4 Chocking sands
4 Befoul
3 Mishra's helix
4 Dark rituals
4 Will-o-the-wisp
4 Rack
3 Bottomless pit.

Okay, with the helix and LD, you can keep them from playing spells, so their hand is full for the pt and the megrim. Rack is the MVP, because even if they have no cards to lose to megrim, they'll STILL die. Use the helix during their upkeep every turn possible.

P

Purple_jester

Hmm... Megrim as the countdown mechanism in a land destruction deck? Let's see. From experience, any land destruction deck worth its salt will have the opponent discarding by midgame. So Megrim would really kick in at that point. The worst case scenario for your opponent would be for you to eventually have 2 Megrim in play, then cast Ill-gotten gains... your opponent will probably retrieve lands, but you'll be retrieving LD cards. That is, if the poor guy survives the Megrim damage.

Okay, let's see what we can build...

LD (18):
2 Wildfire
2 Befoul
2 Rain of Tears
4 Avalanche Riders
4 Pillage
4 Stone Rain

Pain (6):
4 Megrim
2 Ill-Gotten Gains

Control (4):
2 Massacre
2 Earthquake

Creatures (4):
1 Shivan Dragon
1 Orgg
2 Ihsan's Shade

Speed (6):
4 Dark Ritual
2 Bloodstone Cameo

Lands (22):
4 Sulfurous Springs
2 Urborg Volcano
9 Mountain
7 Swamp

D

Duel

Advice: Mishra's Helix and bottomless pit are GOD. I can't tell you how often I've established a lock where I have 4 more land than them, and every turn, they tap out and discard, and can't play anything. Then you start to, slowly, blow up their land, an, eventually, they have no land, and a 10-turn clock. Especially with rack (You don't want them empty....)

You NEED 4 racks.

P

Purple_jester

I agree with the Helix. It would actually work anytime you have more lands than your opponent, which should be often in a LD. One or two wouldn't hurt.

However, Bottomless Pit would be a lot harder to obtain. It's a rare from Stronghold, y'know. Maybe sustituting Oppression wouldn't hurt. They both cost the same, anyway. ;)

D

Duel

eh. bottomless pit just cuarenteed a discard, which I liked. Maybe howling mine would work well here, allowing you to keep their hand fuller. Definately play with disrupting scepter.

D

DÛke

...is NOT a rare. It is an Uncommon, and I think they give you 2 FREE ones in the PreDeck: Megrim; from Stronghod.

D

Duel

I should have known that! I knew there was a reason they weren't in my rare pile when I went loking for them!

I

Istanbul

For when you run out of discard spells and their hand starts to fill up:

Brink of Madness.

Whoops! I have no cards...so YOU have no cards. Take...a lot.

Z

Zero

This was one of my favorite deck designs back in the ole Tempest age. Mine was just a mono-black Megrim/Bottomless Pit/Ensaring Bridge deck. Null brooch fits in too! I hope that helps...it probablly doesent....god I need some sleep...

R

rYaNsPVT

hav u thought of Amnesia??? or the new invasion cards to get out of the usual bottomless pit-megrim-rack combos???
amnesia-howling mine is wierd though...
but amnesia alone is like the opposite of memory jar... me and my friends hav these kinds of ideas like if sum card got through, counter it... hey, hav u seen the new "dismissal" deck of invasion? that's black blue with cute classic gold cards like lobotomy

D

Duel

1: Next to no new cards get out of the combo. I can't think of one. Sure, counterspells, but face it, short of 2 urz'as rages with kicker, counterspell gets out of ANYTHING.

2: Dismissal is an old deck. New face, yes, but the concept is old. Render the cards useless with counterspells or dead with hand destruction.

3: I think you're missing the point. Getting their hand empty is easy. That's not a problem. If they hold everything, they'll die anyways. The problem is keeping their hand full so that megrim does stuff, and for that, permanents work best.

Please, tell me what you mean by new cards to get out of combos and what "If sum card got through, counter it" means.

W

Whimsical

Grim Ponza? Interesting variant. So it's basically a B/R PonzaFire with the addition of 4 (?!) Megrims? Hmm. In that case, isn't running 4 Megrims a tad bit overkill? Drop one and plug in a Black Vise. Watch opponent demand you play something else in a hurry.

Comment on the latest deck. It's just PonzaFire with Megrims to further frustrate the opponent. <smiles and shrugs> Nothing like getting a set of new cards, eh? There's always that urge to put in every deck concept. ;)

Seriously, if you're going to pursue the Grim Ponza deck, Purple dahling ... you're going to need spot removal. I play with a PonzaFire deck mahself and still had to plug in Incinerates along with the Edicts just to deal with creatures while waiting for Wildfire to resolve. Add Edicts. Maybe even Snuff Out, depending on the meta-game out there.

On a side-note, ignore mah techno-babble. Have fun with the deck! Add in Anvils, Windfalls, Ill-Gotten Gains, Mind Twists and Mana Vaults! Oh, wait. Skip out on the Twist...

Grim Ponza. <laughs> :D

P

Purple_jester

But, Whimsy... I LIKE Mind Twist. :D There are few cards like it with such a powerful "make your opponent's eyes bulge" effect.

I did a little experimentation with the Ponza-Megrim. You can make it a really deadly combo deck if you add 3-4 Tutors of any kind. All you need s to survive long enough... and BOOM! He's dead in one or two rounds. The combo of a big creature combined with a Megrim/Ill-Gotten Gains is brutal. It's even more brutal if you use Wheel of Fortune. ;)

D

Duel

Hey, I guess that would work. I just object to black vise unless I'm using it....

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

The card from Alliances was Misinformation, not Misdirection.

As if anyone cares by now...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway,

just put Megrim in a ProsBloom deck instead of Drain Life. They'll be extremely confused as to why you didn't cast Drain Life. Then play Megrim.

heh heh heh

You could also make a weird U/B/R discard deck with Megrim in it, something like this:

4 Horseshoe Crab
4 Shocker
4 Ritual
4 Hermetic Study
4 Fire Whip
4 Larceny
4 Megrim
4 Duress
2 Tutor
4 Badlands
4 Underground Sea
4 Volcanic Island