Commander 2019: Spidey (Primal Genesis) vs Mooseman (Mystic Intellect)

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Nope. Cast farm to destroy the unblocked token
( 2W Farm // 2U Market (, I, Farm: Destroy target attacking or blocking creature. Market:Aftermath (cast only from GY). Draw 2 cards , Then discard 2 cards))
You take 2 from Guttersnipe

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Our two Rhinos die.

Forest
Heart-Piercer Manticore, triggering Worldsong
Responses?

Spidey: 17
Dmg from commander: 0/21
Hand: 6
Library: 74
Command Zone (cast once): 2RGW
Battlefield:

(T,T,T) Plains x3
(T,T,T,T) Forest x4
(T,T) Mt x2
(U) Gruul Turf (~ ETB tapped.; When ~ ETB, return a land I control to its owner's hand.; T: Add RG to my mana pool)
(T) Blossoming Sands (~ ETB tapped.; When ~ ETB, I gain 1 life.; T: Add G or W to my mana pool)

Colossal Majesty (At the beginning of my upkeep, if I control a creature with power 4 or greater, draw a card)
Song of the Worldsoul (Whenever I cast a spell, populate)

(U) Mimic Vat (Imprint-Whenever a nontoken creature dies, I may exile that card. If I do, return each other card exiled with ~ to its owners graveyard.; 3, T: Create a token that's a copy of a card exiled with ~. It gains haste. Exile it at the beginning of the next end step)

(T) Ghired, Conclave Exile (Legendary Creature-Human Shaman; 2/5; When ~ ETB, create a 4/4 green Rhino creature token w/trample.; Whenever ~ attacks, populate. The token ETB tapped and attacking (To populate, create a token that's a copy of a creature token I control))~Stolen~
(T) Rhino creature token (4/4; Trample)
(S) Rhino creature token (4/4; Trample)
(U) Roc Egg (0/3; Defender; When ~ dies, create a 3/3 white Bird creature token w/flying)
(S) Heart-Piercer Manticore (4/3; When ~ ETB, I may sac another creature. If I do, ~ deals dmg equal to that creature's power to any target.; Embalm 5R (5R, Exile this card from my graveyard: Create a token that's a copy of it, except it's a white Zombie Manticore w/no mana cost. Embalm only as a sorcery))

Graveyard: Soul Foundry, Krosan Verge
Exile: Atla Palani-Nest Tender
===================================================================================
Mooseman: 20
Hand: 3
Library: 80
Command Zone: 2URW Sevinne, the Chronoclasm (Human Wizard, 2/2, Prevent all damage that would be dealt to ~. Whenever you cast your first instant or sorcery spell from your graveyard each turn, copy that spell. You may choose new targets for the copy)
Battlefield:

(U) Island
(U) Mountain
(U) Azorius Chancery (, L, ~ ETB tapped. When ~ comes into play, return a land you control to its owner's hand. T: Add WU to your mana pool.)
(U) Prairie Stream (Plains Island, L, ETB Tapped, unless you control 2 or more basic lands. T:U or W)
(T) Izzet Guildgate (Gate, L, ETB Tapped. T: U or R)

Ghostly Prison (E, Creatures can't attack you unless their controller pays 2 for each creature they control that's attacking you. )

(U) Pramikon, Sky Rampart (Wall, 1/5, flying and defender. Chose Left. Your opponents can only attack the opponent next to them in that direction.)
(U) Guttersnipe (Goblin Shaman, 2/2, Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, ~ deals 2 damage to each opponent.)
(U) Ghired, Conclave Exile ("Wall of Stolen Identity", Legendary Creature-Human Shaman Wall; 2/5; Defender. When ~ ETB, create a 4/4 green Rhino creature token w/trample.; Whenever ~ attacks, populate. The token ETB tapped and attacking )

Graveyard: Terramorphic Expanse, Ray of Distortion(FB 4WW), Faithless Looting (FB:2R),Divine Reckoning (FB: 5WW), Mass Diminish (FB:3U), Fervent Denial (FB:5UU), Mandate of Peace, Farm // Market
Exile:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Done

Hand: 5
Command Zone (cast once): 2RGW Ghired, Conclave Exile (Legendary Creature-Human Shaman; 2/5; When ~ ETB, create a 4/4 green Rhino creature token w/trample.; Whenever ~ attacks, populate. The token ETB tapped and attacking (To populate, create a token that's a copy of a creature token I control))
Battlefield:

(T,T,T) Plains x3
(T,T,T,T) Forest x4
(T,T) Mt x2
(U) Gruul Turf (~ ETB tapped.; When ~ ETB, return a land I control to its owner's hand.; T: Add RG to my mana pool)
(T) Blossoming Sands (~ ETB tapped.; When ~ ETB, I gain 1 life.; T: Add G or W to my mana pool)

Colossal Majesty (At the beginning of my upkeep, if I control a creature with power 4 or greater, draw a card)

(U) Mimic Vat (Imprint-Whenever a nontoken creature dies, I may exile that card. If I do, return each other card exiled with ~ to its owners graveyard.; 3, T: Create a token that's a copy of a card exiled with ~. It gains haste. Exile it at the beginning of the next end step)

(U) Roc Egg (0/3; Defender; When ~ dies, create a 3/3 white Bird creature token w/flying)
(S) Heart-Piercer Manticore (4/3; When ~ ETB, I may sac another creature. If I do, ~ deals dmg equal to that creature's power to any target.; Embalm 5R (5R, Exile this card from my graveyard: Create a token that's a copy of it, except it's a white Zombie Manticore w/no mana cost. Embalm only as a sorcery))

===================================================================================
Hand: 3
Library: 80
Command Zone: 2URW Sevinne, the Chronoclasm (Human Wizard, 2/2, Prevent all damage that would be dealt to ~. Whenever you cast your first instant or sorcery spell from your graveyard each turn, copy that spell. You may choose new targets for the copy)
Battlefield:

(U) Island
(U) Mountain
(U) Azorius Chancery (, L, ~ ETB tapped. When ~ comes into play, return a land you control to its owner's hand. T: Add WU to your mana pool.)
(U) Prairie Stream (Plains Island, L, ETB Tapped, unless you control 2 or more basic lands. T:U or W)

Ghostly Prison (E, Creatures can't attack you unless their controller pays 2 for each creature they control that's attacking you. )

(U) Pramikon, Sky Rampart (Wall, 1/5, flying and defender. Chose Left. Your opponents can only attack the opponent next to them in that direction.)
(U) Guttersnipe (Goblin Shaman, 2/2, Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, ~ deals 2 damage to each opponent.)

Graveyard: Terramorphic Expanse, Ray of Distortion(FB 4WW), Faithless Looting (FB:2R),Divine Reckoning (FB: 5WW), Mass Diminish (FB:3U), Fervent Denial (FB:5UU), Mandate of Peace, Farm // Market, Wall of Stolen Identity
Exile:

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
UUD

Hand: 5
Command Zone (cast once): 2RGW Ghired, Conclave Exile (Legendary Creature-Human Shaman; 2/5; When ~ ETB, create a 4/4 green Rhino creature token w/trample.; Whenever ~ attacks, populate. The token ETB tapped and attacking (To populate, create a token that's a copy of a creature token I control))
Battlefield:

(T,T,T) Plains x3
(T,T,T,T) Forest x4
(T,T) Mt x2

Hand: 4
Library: 78
Command Zone: 2URW
Battlefield:

(U) Island
(U) Mountain

(S) Sevinne, the Chronoclasm (Human Wizard, 2/2, Prevent all damage that would be dealt to ~. Whenever you cast your first instant or sorcery spell from your graveyard each turn, copy that spell. You may choose new targets for the copy)

Graveyard: Terramorphic Expanse, Ray of Distortion(FB 4WW), Faithless Looting (FB:2R),Divine Reckoning (FB: 5WW), Mass Diminish (FB:3U), Fervent Denial (FB:5UU), Mandate of Peace, Farm // Market(Aftermath 2U), Wall of Stolen Identity
Exile:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Untap, upkeep - Draw from Majesty, Draw

Beast Within on your Commander
Responses?

Library: 72
Battlefield:

(T,U,U) Plains x3
(T,T,U,U) Forest x4
(U,U) Mt x2
(U) Blossoming Sands (~ ETB tapped.; When ~ ETB, I gain 1 life.; T: Add G or W to my mana pool)

(U) Rhino creature token (4/4; Trample)
(U) Rhino creature token (4/4; Trample)
(U) Heart-Piercer Manticore (4/3; When ~ ETB, I may sac another creature. If I do, ~ deals dmg equal to that creature's power to any target.; Embalm 5R (5R, Exile this card from my graveyard: Create a token that's a copy of it, except it's a white Zombie Manticore w/no mana cost. Embalm only as a sorcery))

Graveyard: Soul Foundry, Krosan Verge, Beast Within
Command Zone (cast once): 2URW
Battlefield:

(T) Island
(T) Mountain
(T) Azorius Chancery (, L, ~ ETB tapped. When ~ comes into play, return a land you control to its owner's hand. T: Add WU to your mana pool.)
(T) Prairie Stream (Plains Island, L, ETB Tapped, unless you control 2 or more basic lands. T:U or W)
(U) Izzet Guildgate (Gate, L, ETB Tapped. T: U or R)

(S) Sevinne, the Chronoclasm (Human Wizard, 2/2, Prevent all damage that would be dealt to ~. Whenever you cast your first instant or sorcery spell from your graveyard each turn, copy that spell. You may choose new targets for the copy)

Graveyard: Terramorphic Expanse, Ray of Distortion(FB 4WW), Faithless Looting (FB:2R),Divine Reckoning (FB: 5WW), Mass Diminish (FB:3U), Fervent Denial (FB:5UU), Mandate of Peace, Farm // Market(Aftermath 2U), Wall of Stolen Identity
Exile:

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
No response. Looks like another beat down on me...…..

Can you refresh me on the actual rules text for destroy?
Isn't take lethal damage?

Last edited:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Ummm... actually, I don't know. I assumed it bypassed the "damage" part and thus could get your commander. If it doesn't, can I take it back because I wouldn't have cast it on him otherwise. Let me look it up....

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
So it doesn't look like it... MTG Wiki

From the Comprehensive Rules (August 23, 2019—Commander 2019)

• 701.7. Destroy
    • 701.7a To destroy a permanent, move it from the battlefield to its owner’s graveyard.
    • 701.7b The only ways a permanent can be destroyed are as a result of an effect that uses the word “destroy” or as a result of the state-based actions that check for lethal damage (see rule 704.5g) or damage from a source with deathtouch (see rule 704.5h). If a permanent is put into its owner’s graveyard for any other reason, it hasn’t been “destroyed.”
    • 701.7c A regeneration effect replaces a destruction event. See rule 701.14, “Regenerate.”
Without looking up damage, I guess the *result* of lethal damage is a "destroy" effect... a spell like Beast Within "bypasses" the damage part and goes directly to the "destroy" result.... so I'll continue on and we can always back up if you have more questions

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
That also triggered my Worldsoul...

Attack with the two Rhinos, paying 4
Responses/blocks/take it?

Library: 72
Battlefield:

(T,T,T) Plains x3
(T,T,T,T) Forest x4
(U,U) Mt x2
(U) Blossoming Sands (~ ETB tapped.; When ~ ETB, I gain 1 life.; T: Add G or W to my mana pool)

(T,A) Rhino creature token (4/4; Trample)
(T,A) Rhino creature token (4/4; Trample)
(U) Heart-Piercer Manticore (4/3; When ~ ETB, I may sac another creature. If I do, ~ deals dmg equal to that creature's power to any target.; Embalm 5R (5R, Exile this card from my graveyard: Create a token that's a copy of it, except it's a white Zombie Manticore w/no mana cost. Embalm only as a sorcery))

Graveyard: Soul Foundry, Krosan Verge, Beast Within
Command Zone (cast once): 2URW Sevinne, the Chronoclasm (Human Wizard, 2/2, Prevent all damage that would be dealt to ~. Whenever you cast your first instant or sorcery spell from your graveyard each turn, copy that spell. You may choose new targets for the copy)
Battlefield:

(T) Island
(T) Mountain
(T) Azorius Chancery (, L, ~ ETB tapped. When ~ comes into play, return a land you control to its owner's hand. T: Add WU to your mana pool.)
(T) Prairie Stream (Plains Island, L, ETB Tapped, unless you control 2 or more basic lands. T:U or W)
(U) Izzet Guildgate (Gate, L, ETB Tapped. T: U or R)

(S) Beast creature token (3/3)

Exile: