Combo efforts Darksteel alternat winn condition...

R

Rooser

Yeah, I didn't see Core Tapper yet. OH well, so much for my clever Necropolis idea. What YOU guys are missing is that the Reactor doesn't trigger on upkeep, it triggers on having 20 counters, so you guys are worrying needlessly about a few things, most of all that black sorcery which, upon closer examiniation, doesn't faze this combo at all.

Anyway, a Dross Scorpion engine is definitely the way to go. We can tweak the deck around just that now - infinitely untapping the Core Tapper instead of a Power Conduit. We should look into ways to protect the combo... like perhaps Lightning Greaves or something like that to keep the Scorpion and Tappers alive. I still think the Darksteel Forge has potential as a protection piece, we just have to design the deck to get that out easire than hard-casting.

Okay, so here's the combo, clean and simple.

Reactor
Tapper
Scorpion
Ashnod's Altar
Myr Retriever x2

Get cracking people!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I re-read the Reactor again and saw only the putting on the charge counter triggers on upkeep, not the win condition itself. So we're good to go!

N

NorrYtt

You guys are going about this completely the wrong way. Darksteel Reactor is a stall card. You win in the long run. You should instead try to:

Darksteel Reactor + Obliterate - just wreck the table. Often. The Reactor lives. Eventually you win.

Darksteel Reactor + Stasis - Stasis the king of stall. Absofreakinlutely nothin' happens with a Stasis in play. Just use a normal engine with Howling Mines, Gush, Daze, and all to pay for Stasis.

Anyway, that's what I thought of when I saw Darksteel Reactor.

R

Rooser

Hah, there's a much simpler way to pay for stasis each turn:

Forsaken City

One card. No fuss, no muss.

As for whether or not we are going about this the WRONG way I think is up for debate. Indeed, your ideas are all well and good, but we're hardly wrong for trying to build a cute medium-speed combo deck.

Besides, lock-down decks have been doen before. Dross Scorpion hasn't.

R

Reverend Love

Reverend...eating words....humiliation.....over-w-h-e-l-m-i-n-g..

Naw! Really though good job Rooser! I'll definitely be building a Reactor deck using your combo :)

T

Tabasco

.....So who was the one who doubted me and said it couldn't be done.....

I guess it can, eh!

Yes very nice Rooser

How bout we construct a working list:

3 Darksteel Reactor
4 Coretapper
? Dross Scorpion
3 Ashnod's Altar
2-4 Myr Retriever
maybe that new tinker card too??
and some Fabricate??

Let's get craken!

N

NorrYtt

Voltaic Construct 4
Artifact Creature - Golem
2: Untap target artifact creature.
2/2

This Darksteel uncommon lets you untap Coretapper for 2, which means 2 mana for extra counters on Darksteel Reactor.

Personally, I'd just modify my MonoBlack Control deck (roughly looks like):

22 Swamp
2 Cabal Coffers
4 Corrupt
4 Consume Spirit
4 Barter in Blood
4 Mutilate
2 Diablolic Tutor
2 Mind Sludge

3 Oblivion Stone

2 Darksteal Reactor
3 Corpse Dance
4 Coretapper

Corpse Dance works great with Coretapper. You pay 5 mana, get your Coretapper, block something, tap to charge, sac to double charge. That's 3 charge counters and a block for 5 mana. Your other cards can just wreck the table if necessary. Coretapper can sac to charge itself up (though uselessly), which is important for making it a Dancable creature.

R

Rooser

Actually, I feel like I shouldn't get the credit... Spidey was the one who pointed out Dross Scorpion. My creative idea was the Necroplois, but with the discovery of Coretapper, it didn't matter.

And Rev doesn't quite have to eat his words anyway, because at the time he didn't know that Darksteel would have an artifact that would flat-out put charge counters on things.

Well, Buried Alive still has the beneift of setting up the Retrievers, plus acts as deck thinning, but it also makes things a bit more complicated and card intensive.

Good ol' draw-discard should be enough. If we're gonna go with artifact reanimation then we really should include 2-4 Darksteel Forges. Our ENTIRE combo is made of artifacts, and if they were all indestructible......

N

NorrYtt

This is my current monogreen Power Conduit deck that I've augmented to win with Darksteel Reactor. I took out attackers like the Sliths and added more stall.

Power Conduit Stall

4 Power Conduit
2 Darksteel Reactor
2 Talon of Pain
1 Giant Fan

4 Wall of Roots
1 Viridian Joiner
4 Spike Feeder
4 Fogotten Ancient
4 Spike Weaver
1 Genesis

4 Mindless Automaton
3 Triskelion
2 Pentavus

4 Treetop Village
1 Blinkmoth Nexus
1 Yavimaya Hollow
18 Forest

I'm testing some things out like Talon of Pain (+ Trike!) and Aether Vial. Mirrodin's Core might provide free charge counters for Power Conduit. Arcbound Slith seems nice to pump for its modularity with Otto, Trike, and Pentavus.

T

train

I really am glad things like Meltdown are not in the environment... or Shatterstorm for that matter... or Nevinyrral's Disk... etc...

I'd be running 4 of each...:D

N

NorrYtt

I just won my first game with Darksteel Reactor. Forgotten Ancient is pretty nuts with Spike Feeder. The Walls of Roots are invaluable for acceleration and charge counter production.

This is my first tick mark on a Darksteel Reactor. We then played another game where I Trike'd a guy down to 3 before he Mindslaver'd me and dropped Lightning Greaves on Platinum Angel, which gg'd me. I was at 50 life from Spike Feeder love while a 15/15 Clockwork Dragon beat me down. I could probably put him in this deck.

Once again, that deck is...

MonoGreen Power Conduit Stall

4 Power Conduit
2 Darksteel Reactor
2 Talon of Pain
1 Giant Fan

4 Wall of Roots
1 Viridian Joiner
4 Spike Feeder
4 Fogotten Ancient
4 Spike Weaver
1 Genesis

4 Mindless Automaton
3 Triskelion
2 Pentavus

4 Treetop Village
1 Blinkmoth Nexus
1 Yavimaya Hollow
18 Forest

T

train

The power conduit also works nice against the quicksilver fountain...

but for purposes of this thread... something with cumulative upkeep would generate counters on it's own!...

S

shadow_acid

Well if you want a fast win with the reactor, put in dismantle.
Being indestructable, the reactor won't be destroyed, but you can double the charge counters on it. Put coretappers in there and by god you've got one hell of a fast combo.:D

N

Notepad

You're lucky you play in T2 environments. My environment plays T1. Artifact removal anywhere should any try to rear its ugly head. And it has, on occassion, and gotten smited rightfully.