Combo efforts Darksteel alternat winn condition...

T

Tabasco

OK I have got the info from MtG: News that there is a card from Darksteel called Darksteel Reactor.

Darksteel Reactor
Artifact
Darksteel Reactor is indestructible. ("Destroy" effects and lethal damage don't destroy it.)
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may put a charge counter on Darksteel Reactor.
When Darksteel Reactor has twenty or more charge counters on it, you win the game.
Rare
Illus. Kev Walker

And If you read Power Conduit, It Removes a counter from a permanent to add a +1/+1 counter or a Charge Counter

So I thought we could make a deck to fit this condition in.
I would invite all those who feel like partaking in this to feel free to post. It could be a serious deck.....I know that those who made Bosh were surprised when I told them that I won a tourney with a similar build, but this is still a possibility. I was thinking T1 unless anyone has a better idea. Tinker would probably be a good Idea too. I hope everone will help and enjoy this project.

Deck starters

3 Darksteel Reactor
4 Power Conduit
R Tinker

Please add on!!

Attachments

N

Notepad

A cool idea, but just like Weatherlight's Goblin Bomb, this will take a ton of deck devotion to get working properly while not getting killed in the process.

...not that it'd be a total blast to play, though. ;) :D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It's still susceptible to bounce and Slide and whatnot, so I think blue is going to have to be part of it to counter those effects. Or ways to give it untargetability.

13NoVa

hmm

darksteel reactor
power conduit
Voltiac Key
galvanic key
a lot of artifact mana
counters.
you could also use

easy philosophy.

you could also use bounce effects yourself, such as Resque, to bounce back the conduit, and then reuse it...

use some draw and Mind over Matter too!

Blue blue blue (i hate it i hate it i hate it)
use it use it use it

R

Reverend Love

If your going to roll with this there's a couple forgone conclusions you'll have to deal with:

1: It's a synergy deck plain and simple. It's not combo because nothing can place 20 counters on a card in one go...nothing.

(yes that’s a open challenge to the CPA..make the Reverend eat his words)

2: Your going to take a pounding...duh.

3: Your priority whether your realize this or not is tutoring. (what good is power conduit with out Reactor?)

4: It'll be f'n hard.

5. It's all about the setup.

With that in mind we will be rolling with:

1 Sol Ring
1 Tinker
1 Mana Vault
1 Grim Monolith

With a good possibility of:

1 Dream Halls
1 Mind Over Matter
X Poopie load of Blue draw cards

See where I'm going with this?

R

Rooser

All right, Reverend! I'm taking your challenge! I'm gonna build a deck that, while probably terrible, can put twenty counters on the reactor in one go!

I shall return!

*charges off to laboratory*

T

train

you definitely need city of solitudes in the buld to prevent your opponent from taking you out of sync...

once you have that - use the green mahines, spikes, and clockworks to feed it, and make sure you untap all your creatures constantly with vitalize...

how does this untap all your artifacts - titania's song...

plus the voltaic keys, galvanic keys, and all the other untappers out there..;)

R

Rooser

Nice try, train, but we're unfortunately going to have to play blue. Besides, Titania's Song would shoot yourself in the foot - remember, it removes all abilities from the cards.

Turboyuck!

I

Istanbul

Gotta get that Mirrodin uncommon dude...the one that gets a +1/+1 counter during each of your upkeeps, but can't attack or block unless you pay 1 for each counter on it.

That solves the problem of how to make the counters.

N

Notepad

What in the world is Isty talking about? :eek: But then again, I have horrible knowledge of Mirrodin.

This whole thing sounds way too clunky, but I wanna see one of these things active--preferrably on MTGO, so I can take screenshots. :D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
One way to untap artifacts is Dross Scorpion... I was thinking something like Ornithopter and Enduring Renewal would allow the continual untapping of the Conduit, allowing for charge counters to be put on the Reactor...

N

Notepad

Quite a nice infinite combo there, Spidey!

From the looks of it, the spoiler shows a black card that removes all tokens and counters from the game. So, all the slow routes to victory have already met with a silver bullet in Darksteel itself.

Looks like any deck built around this is gonna have to be both very fast to get the pieces out, and work on using that infinite combo.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I forgot reason to sac the Ornithopter, but there's so many... Goblin Bombardment (although that's just killing them anyway), Ashnod's Altar for some other mana thing...

You're probably going to need blue to protection anyway, so hey, might as well use either Force of Will or Ashnod's Altar and keep one blue open to fuel a large Power Sink when your opponent tries remove the 19 or so counters on the Reactor :)

R

Rooser

HAH! I got it!

Thanks Spidey!

That Dross Scorpion was the last piece to my insane puzzle.....

*Throws cloak back over shoulder*
*Returns to laboratory triumphantly*

"One things for sure, you guys won't see this coming..."

T

Tabasco

I found another friend of this deck his name is:

Coretapper - 2
Artifact Creature - Myr (U)
Tap: Put a charge counter on target artifact.
Sacrifice Coretapper: Put two charge counters on target artifact.
1/1

and I also found an enemy....

AEther Snap - 3BB
Sorcery (R)
Remove all counters on permenents and all tokens from the game.

Coretapper will amazingly speed up this deck especially if we have an engine like Spiderman's, but still we have to cover our oinks against this black threat so we still need blue....

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, I'd definitely use Coretapper instead of Ornithopter and he's free with Ashnod's Altar. So now you get three charge counters (him and the use of the Conduit) a turn.

And if you do this on your turn, you won't have to fear Aether Snap.

T

Tabasco

well doesn't the effect trigger at your upkeep? so you will have to wait another turn?

any way I think 4 core tappers are essential to the success of this deck.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I was so busy concentrating on the combo that I forgot the Reactor card itself :)

Maybe we should throw in Mindslaver to take our opponent's last turn ourself :)

R

Rooser

Okay I can't build seem to build a deck per se, but I do have two combos, one for infinite untapping, and another for 20+ counters into play at once, and what's better is that they have some synergy. See what you guys can do with this...

The Engine:

Darksteel Reactor
Power Conduit

Infinite Untapping:

Dross Scorpion
Myr Retriever x2
Ashnod's Altar

One Retriever in the GY, the other stuff in play. Sac a Retriever to the Altar for two colorless, untap the Conduit, return the other Retriever to your hand and cast it with the two colorless. Repeat an arbitrarily large number of times.

Fast Counters:

Necropolis, from Ice Age block somewhere, which reads -

Necropolis - 5
Artifact Creature - Wall - 0/1
Remove a creature card in your graveyard from the game: Put a number of +0/+1 counters on ~this~ equal to the removed card's converted casting cost.

Combine this with overpriced creatures that can get plunked in the graveyard, and you've got 20+ counters in no time. Broodstars would fit the bill perfectly, as they have a CC of 10 AND might actually be playable in this deck anyway.

Other Ideas to Tie This All Together:

The uniting thread in all of this Buried Alive, as it can put two Broodstars and a Retriever in your graveyard for you. If we throw in some reanimation, we can use multiple Buried Alives to grab some of our other pieces, such as Dross Scorpion and Necropolis.

If we're looking to reanimate, then Draw/Discard is pretty good, and if we're doing that, then artifact reanimation might help so we can get out the other pieces faster/easier.

Another card to consider is Darksteel Forge, a 9 CC artifact that makes all artifacts in play indestructible.

Anyway, those are my ideas, but I can't make a coherent deck with them yet. Enjoy!