Classic Line Ends!

G

Gryphonclaw

Apathy where Wotc is concerned.

But what about the other CCG's?

I remember way back when there were several dozen CCG's that were produced by other companies, Wyvern, Changeling, Middle Earth, Shadowfist, overpower, there was even a biblical one.

I only played Wyvern and Changeling, and they were both decent games in their own right. Especially changeling, that game had real possibilities. And Middle earth was truly excellent, although it may still be produced.

I'll miss 'em. I mean, they actually took skill and intelligence to play.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I played Wyvern too and even got my wife into it! We bought a whole lot when it started to go out of print and prices declined... now we don't play as much anymore. :(

L

Lythand

MAybe with the discontinuation of these games buy WOTC, they can dedicate more time and input to thier major games like Magic. These games didnt seem to have much of a popularity. Instead of WOTC giving %5 here %10 there, and %15 percent over there..they can put %100 persent into magic.

And for those that play these games that are going to other companies, then maybe those companies will put %100 percent into those games as well and we will all be happy campers in the long run.

It just seemed the WOTC wanted to be responsible for way too many games then what they could handle.

So with that in mind..I think I am going over to Thelearningsite.com to see if I can order hooked on phonics.

G

Gizmo

Why would want to put money into Magic, a full 97% of their income is from Pokemon.

L

Lythand

Well it seems though that the Poke-mon craze is dropping off. I have seen a lot of articles on how sales is dropping as well as reports from buisness sections of newspapers. But Magic still seems to hold solid ground. But only more time will tell.

And besides if your in support of Poke-mon. Phooyie! on you.
:)

S

Seeker of Truth

theorgg:

Whose bright idea was it to come up with a column that's supposed to be like the original "Deck Clinic", except run by two wise-guy, insulting ex-pros who put down the author of the deck being reviewed and then insult their intelligence and creative ability by changing the deck into something totally different, often including a ton of popular rare cards that would be extremely difficult to get? Even worse, who would even bother subjecting themselves to such printed abuse just to improve their deck? You could come post your deck here and get USEFUL suggestions without all the heckling. Of course, you wouldn't be getting your advice from two ex-Pro Tour players, but at least you're (almost) assured of getting a response.

Lythand:

Remember, though, that there is a new movie coming, and a new pair of games, so although the trend is fading right now, it may get another jump start this summer and fall.

Of course, all the kids may just move on to Digimon instead. :rolleyes:

M

Multani

Tag Guard

I came here to get away from Pokemon, Digimon and all that crap.

POKEMON MUST DIEEE!!!!!!!!!
As a matter of fact, it's already starting to die. :D
I think this thread should have been in the Off-Topic Forum.
Anyway, all the card games that are based on television shows will never last long. It was never intended that they be card games.

Magic on the otherhand, was designed to be a stand-alone game without TV shows and all the other assesories.

I

Istanbul

(Actually, the card game is based off of a video game, and was around before the TV show. But anyway...)

Looking at the latest TopDeck right now.
I won't even bother with the Pokemon half.

Mediocre comic straight out of the book...
Magic: The Puzzling that I figured out in about 20 minutes...
"Theme Filled" puzzle with obscure solutions...
9 pages on PC games...
Duelist price guide...
Prophecy section, same as I got out of the fat pack as a pull-out...
....aaaaaand that's it.

Bleh. Since it comes with one booster, I basically paid $3 for a fairly poor magazine.

L

Lythand

Even if Pokemone makes a small come back..it is still fluctuating and will drop as the kids get older..And that was the purpose of WOTC buying poke-mon..to convert the kids to Magic players

[Edited by Lythand on June 18th, 2000 at 05:14 PM]

M

Multani

Tag Guard

I don't think WOTC iis that schemeing
(Not to mention that smart. :D)
The sole purpose of Pokemon was to make money in the shortrun.
It had the "unexpected" side-effect of pissing off 99% of Casual Magic Players. :mad:
Pokemon (not to mention my ignorant principle)was also responsible for the banning of all card games (including poker) from my school. Another reason for my deep hatred of Pokemon. :mad:

L

Lythand

Well poker should of been banned from ALL schools. Its a form of gambling. And I think that anything that is "disruptive" to the enviroment of the school will most likely get banned. I can remeber bandannas and carry along boom boxes being banned froms school cause of this. So its not just poke-mon. But anyway if you ask just about any card dealer, they will tell you that WOTC purpose was to get kids getting bored of Pokemon to covert them to Magic. How where they to know it was going to go over so well before they brought it to the U.S. Trust me its just a fad. It will eventually die. Its like when I was a kid, you where not cool unless you had Transformers. Now you hardly ever hear of them. Hell some kids don't know what they are. And what about Furby, Gi Joe, and Elmo? All just fads...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Wow! Such virulence...

I would just like to add my observation that if Magic has really been doing all that well when Pokeman came out, there'd be hardly any need for stores to add it to its inventory. Even if they wanted to "jump on the new cashcow bandwagon", if Magic was still doing well, there'd be equal space on the shelves. Plus Pokeman is aimed at pretty much a separate and younger audience than Magic, so there would be hardly any overlap.

So my conclusion is that since Pokeman took over alot of space, Magic just flat-out wasn't doing very well to begin with. So let's not look for a scapegoat here...

T

theorgg

y'know what fad was imported from Japan and not sold to the public, but STILL got a big fan base?

M.U.S.C.L.E.

there's cartoons waiting to be translates sitting on shelves.

there's nearly three-hundred of them, in ten different colors.

they look damn cool, and if they were printed, it'd pick up the wrestling fans and the pokemon fans that were getting tired now the've "caught them all"

and isn't Mattell part of Hasbro?.....:)

A

Apollo

Pokemon wasn't printed to get kids bored and into Magic. Pokemon was printed to take advantage of the hit video game and T.V. show. That's what Wotc was thinking about. Few kids will switch from Pokemon to Magic. Kids don't get into the strategy aspect of the game. They just want to collect their favorite little monsters. Because of this, when kids get sick of Pokemon, they'll quit games altogether. This is one basic reason why the Pokemon coverage in TopDeck won't be very successful.

Apollo

L

Lythand

If anyone can shed some light on the Pokemon thing..it would be cool..But i think the card gane was around for some time before the tv show. It was a Japan based game called Pocket Monsters...How ever you say that in Japanese

I

Istanbul

Pokemon Red and Blue came out here.
Then the card game.
Then the TV show.
Then Pokemon Yellow.
Pokemon Gold and Silver are scheduled to come out in October.

S

Seeker of Truth

Apollo:

I agree with you that many of the "kids" who pick up the Pokemon CCG aren't too interested in the strategy aspect of the game. For most, I wouldn't be surprised if "strategy" and "deckbuilding" extended only as far as including one's favorite Pokemon in a theme deck. Many probably won't even get that far; there must be a ton of Pokemon fans who treat the cards as they would any other trading cards. I made the observation soon after the Pokemon CCG hit the stores that lots of people were buying, but no one seemed to be playing, and that is the fundamental problem with the idea that Pokemon can be considered a "gateway CCG" to more complex games like Magic.

The additional problem with being a Pokemon CCG player is that you can't build a decent deck, unless you get very lucky. Single rares go for rather ridiculous prices, even compared to Magic singles, which makes deckbuilding difficult, which in turn means that only a few people will play the game and maintain an interest in CCGs.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Istanbul: You sure the card game came out before the TV show? Because I seem to remember that Pokemon was first a TV show in Japan and they wanted to bring it over here but were afraid of how it would be receivedm so they "softened" up the audience by putting out the video games (Red and Blue) to get interest first.

So basing that it was a TV show first in Japan, it stands to reason that they had shows waiting in the wings to be translated before the card game came out.

That's what I remember, anyway.

Y

Y The Alien

Tag Guard

I don't play the card game myself, ir's a little too shallow and gimmicky (I.E. the guy with the best rares wins. Always. I know Magic can sometimes be like that, but look at Stampy or burn.)

I read an article in Time Magainze where the creator stated that the first thing to ever come out was the games in Japan. Then they released the card game and the show. They translated them in the order Istanbul said.