CHK draft?

J

jorael

I presume you mean with Magic Online?

Then I won't join. I stick to cardboard.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
No, I mean right here on the forum. You can do a search or look back on previous threads in this forum to see what I'm talking about :)

J

jorael

Ok, I checked some previous threads and saw what you meant. So its 4 cards, player A picks 1, player b picks 2 and A gets the last one. Then player B starts.

How do you play with the drafted decks?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, it's kinda on the honor system. You put a deck together (if you have Apprentice, you can store it in there) and play like Oversoul and I did here. If we get a third party to do the draft, he can also do the decks for us (like shuffle). I'll send a note to BigBlue as he's done it before.

J

jorael

Hmm, I see. Looks ok, but not my thing.

The playing part is a bit too slow for me. Besides, I have enough free time at the moment, but that will pass......

B

BigBlue

I'll do it again... if anyone else is interested... speak now or forever hold your peace... (or is it piece?) :D

T

train

Still holding my piece... now what do I do with it?...

:p

I'm game - and should be able to check in at least daily... (New work position and schedule and school schedule threw me off for a bit...)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like five people as I could do BigBlue's draft. Should we do a round-robin type game like last time with 2 on 2 with the Solomon draft or do a huge "MP" draft and each take turns drafting from a pack?

T

train

MP is probably the way to go, as trying to pair individuals seemed a little more trying...:(

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds good. Doesn't matter either way :) As long as we get to play.

When should we start? I'm off Friday so even if we start later today/tomorrow, that might slow things up... although we'll still be started. Heck, let's just start... if we're doing MP, I can do it. I promise not to use my advance knowledge of starting up the packs (I'll probably forget anyway; I tend to do that). So I'll just send a pack to everyone and everyone picks one card and passes to whatever order I set up?

B

BigBlue

I meant I'd run it... I don't have time to play . . . sorry for the confusion....

B

BigBlue

OK.... so the next important question is what format am I running for 4 players (a nice number I might add)....

Istanbul
Train
Spiderman
(Who was the 4th? Jorael declined)

And Spidey you also mentioned another draft... is that a Second Draft between you and DF? or is DF the 4th person and only 1 draft... just a confusing day for me all around... :D

3 Packs of Champions of Kamagawa is the draw, correct?

I personally like the 2 on 2 solomon's draft style.... but it's up to you guys....

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
jorael dropped out? Boo... well, thanks for initially volunteering :(

I was just mentioning the different drafts we could do, I didn't mean for there to be two different drafts going on.

J

jorael

I was just trying to find out what it is exactly :rolleyes:.

But, I don't want to dissapoint you all. If you have a 4th player fine. If not, I'll be glad to join. I can reply at least once a day, currently more often, but once a day is always possible. Is that frequent enough?

B

BigBlue

So.... herein begins the draft.... Rules are as follows...

I prefer something simple to manage... as we get chaos otherwise... :D

I also prefer something we don't have 3 people always waiting on 1, because that always makes a draft take forever (like a month I recall....)

I will need a number between 1 and 1000 to begin with, closest to the random number I have will be selecting 1st or playing first...

Is everyone ok with the same booster draft format we played last time? To recap for those who don't recall (and for Jorael who wasn't around last time)...

Each player get's 3 Booster Packs, they select 1 card and remove it from the pool to be used as ante. Then I shuffle their cards with their opponents cards and give the first player 4 cards to choose from (on the table for all to see). The second player selects 2 cards, and then the remaining card goes to the first player. Four new cards are turned over, and we reverse the players so that player 2 picks first, player 1 second and so on until all the cards are drafted (there are now an even 44 cards for each player). You make your deck of at least 40 cards using those 44 cards and as many basic lands as you'd like. The player who drafted second chooses whether to play or draw, and then the match begins as a normal tournament match. I do not bother trying to run the decks - it is a hinderence to the game and we are all on the same footing here.... I do give you the shuffled cards and shuffle as required giving you back your shuffled decklist.

The match is a best of 3... Between games, your remaining cards (if any) can be used for a sideboard, the only requirement is that you maintain at least 40 cards in your deck, and you can add or remove lands as desired. At the conclusion of the Match, the winner selects one of the 2 ante cards to keep in their cardpool...

They use the 45 cards they now have for another match with a different player... selecting one of their cards to use as ante, drafting their 44 remaining cards with their opponents and so on...

One "interesting" variation which I might propose... how about if you get to play with your ante card? It would still be the card used for ante... but you could actually use it in your deck... it would change the game somewhat - basically you each get to draft one card before your match... but you lose, and you could lose it.... Since these aren't actual cards - or actual tournament points... it could be interesting...

We would play round robin, so you'd have 3 matches...

Any Questions?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
jorael: Once a day is fine (although I see you on more than that ;) ) train and Isty get on about twice a day anyways.

BigBlue: Sounds good! Let's rock-n-roll!