Chaos Turtle Lives!

S

Sleepy

I'm on winnt at work and only crashed 2 or 3 times in almost 2 yaers.but then I cant do irc and stuff like that from here. whats icq?

D

Duel

WTF? I didn't write that. Seriously. Damn. Someone on my account. Okay, changing password.

Right, honestly, I'm really glad to have him back. We even gave him an award en absentia.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm glad THAT'S all straightened out.

Apollo: Argg! You didn't use a smilie in your subject so I thought you were serious too! I can't take it!

[me] goes off web-slinging to clear his head[/me]

Okay, I'm back. Whew!

About Windows: I'm using 98 (don't know if it's SE or whatever) but I still get weird re-boots and stuff. I think I mentioned this a while back in Off-Topic. Anyway, I am waiting to get a new computer since mine is pretty much a dinosaur and going to deal with the problems then. Until that happens (which actually isn't anytime soon) I just gotta save, save, save.

N

nodnarb24

Linux is cool but I can't play my games on it :(. That is the main reason why I don't use. Otherwise it is one of the most (if not the most) stable operating system out there.

R

rkoelsch

I have NT at work. At home i have a dual boot machine with NT and 95.(yes I am aware it is an old Operating system) I have to reboot a couple of times which is pretty amazing considering the torturous things I do to it. It used to crash every other day until i realized that even though I had suitcase in the 95 partition it still found the NT info and ate it. so needless to say i uninstalled suitcase.

D

Darsh

Hey guys and gals, I blasted an E-mail of to choas turtle telling what you all said about his computer probelms (basically the entire post, here's what he had to say. (I just copy/pasted off his E-mail, the >'s are what was in this post and the sentences without >'s are choas turtle's reply)

> Spiderman:
> It sounds like if he was downloading Explorer Beta and
> it got interrupted, it corrupted the previous Explorer
> (since he can get on e-mail okay, the problem's not
> his modem or modem connection).
>
> I would suggest deleting the Explorer files (and/or
> whatever he was saving Beta to) and re-installing the
> old Explorer.

Thing is, no browsers work. Not Internet Explorer, not Navigator,
not Opera, nothing.
The modem connects, sends and recieves 400-600 bytes of data, then
stops
altogether. I've reconfigured, verified that the settings are the same
as recommended by Juno (though the setup does that automatically, and I
wasn't even using Juno when the problem started).
The problem may actually lie with Windows, since a few other things
went
haywire shortly after: I had to reinstall the printer drivers too
(luckily I had the disk that came with it) and the CD-ROM drive started
acting freaky, I get a "runtime error 70, permission denied" message
when
I boot up, the an MS-DOS window opens even though it's not on the
startup
menu.

> Duel:
> He was better gone (we're still trying to figure out
> what he means by that)
>
> Spiderman:
> And why is that?

Duel hates me I think.
Something about Cursed Moxes.
;^P <-- obligatory smiley

> Duster:
> If I had a beef against anyone around here, I'd keep
> it personal. There is NO reason to bring that into
> public. THe CPA doesn't need all sorts of dissent,
> that's what brings down the other message boards...
>
> Spiderman:
> I can't tell if Duel is kidding since apparently he's
> known for his one-liners. But the lack of smilies
> really hampers the effort...

I'm sure it's nothing...

> DUke:
> Watch out for Apollo now, he just might come here and
> tell you that "you can't take a joke", like he always
> does to me...BUT SEE Apollo, I'm not the only one who
> thinks SMILIES are vital:):):)

:cool: <-- look! another one!

> Apollo:
> Geez, Spidey! Can't you take a joke?
> Anyway, I doubt Duel was seriously saying he doesn't
> want Turtle here. First off, Turtle's an awfully
> likeable guy, and 2nd, Duel seems smart enough (but
> just barely) not to put a complete flame up.
>
> My guess is, he was either:
> a) joking
> b) saying that it was better when the disappearance
> was mysterious, because you knew he might come back
> any day. Now, we know we won't see him until at least
> Thanksgiving.

I'll choose 'b' since it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
But watch it with the remarks about me being likeable.
I can't have that getting out.
D'oh!

> Anyway, give Duel a break and let him explain himself.

Yes, please do.

<snip>
(discussion over who can or can't take jokes)
</snip>

> Ed Sullivan:
> RE: CT
> Not a modem problem - it's a software conflict. Tell
> him to get Win2k, more stable than all other win9x
> flavors anyway. Good to know he's not dead.

Not WIndows ME?
Please advise, as I'd heard Win2k was not so good, and expensive to
boot.
But my sources are not the most reliable...

> RE: Duel
> Either he's in a REALLY bad mood or someone knows his
> password and is trying to play a joke. My guess is the
> latter.

No, I told you. He hates me.
Passionately.

<snip>
(plug for Win2k)
</snip>

> Get back soon.:)
> ---Darsh on the CPA.

As soon as I can, guys and gals...
Thanks for the lovin'.

--Rob

"The Chaos Turtle"

BTW I'll send him another E-mail of your replies.:)

C

Chaos Turtle

I don't know if this will last, but I think I may have discovered most of the problem.

Seems there were three seperate (and different) copies of the winsock.dll file on my computer, in three different directories. I picked the one in \Windows and renamed the others, then - after a little autoexec.bat editing (there was no path set either) - I rebooted and much to my gleeful astonishment, I am online once more.

Ha ha, MSN... You'll just have to try again. :p

[me]takes a look around...[/me]

Place looks different.
Y'all paint or something?

Alright, I'm off for awhile. I'll post again soon to fill everyone who cares to know in on what I've been up to.

Peace and all that.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Those .dll files will get you every time...

Although it's hard to convey over posting, I'm not sure you understood my suggestion, based on your response. I was under the impression that ANY browser wasn't working (but you were using Explorer so I mentioned that) so just like when a game isn't working, you uninstall (delete) the offending program and re-install it.

Since you mentioned additional problems that weren't mentioned when Zadok his original post though, I understand that you suspected the problem was with Windows.

How did you come across looking at the winsock.dll as the problem? And were the other ones in the place were you were trying to download Beta?

C

Chaos Turtle

I'm guessing the download installed on of them, though two of them had "last modified" dates of only last week.
That part is still a mystery to me.

The idea came to me after I was complaining about none of the browsers working (there are still the other problems, unfortunately, but they're tolerable until I get a new system). See, I decided to reinstall Opera and see what I could see, and I came across a Help file that mentioned how Opera might be incompatible with certain Windows setups, regarding the Dial-Up connection not knowing where to find the winsock.dll file (or something like that).

So, I used "Find Files or Folders" to track it down and surprise, there were three of them on C drive.
Okay, I thought, I'll fix this.

Mind you, I have never, ever, edited an autoexec.bat file before (there happened to be four of them, and it took a few tries before I figured out which one was the one the system was reading at startup).

In other words, I guessed and fiddled around. The high-tech equivalent of smaking the TV, I suppose.

I hope it lasts. :p

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I hope you made backups/copies of the one you edited... you always gotta use caution when you fiddle with autoexec.bat and config.sys (the other start-up file) :)

Z

Zadok001

In other words, you took my advice, and kicked it? :) Beautiful!

Ya', we've gone about changing the look of the place quite a bit; there are a lot of threads lying around on the new paint job. Some like it, some don't, some are as neutral on this as they are on everything else.

I'm overjoyed to see you got your 'puter back online, though. :) Welcome back!

A

Apollo

Yay!!! He's back!

Oh, and CT, I'm really sorry about letting that "likeable" thing get out... it just kinda slipped, ya know?

D

Duel

BTW, I know this is late, but "The Kin of Ata are Waiting For You" is a FANTASTIC BOOK. One of the most intriguing ones I've read in a long time. Good choice, whoever recommended it to you, CT.

At the moment, I'm reading "City Come-a-Walkin'", which was the first Cyberpunk novel (Yes, it predate Neuromancer) and which I picked up because of this comment on the back:

"John Shirley (the author) serves up the bloddy heart of a sick and rotting society with all the aplomb of an Aztec surgeon on Dexadrine."

Now, how can you not read that?

C

Chaos Turtle

Thanks for the welcome back.
It's good to know one is missed.

Apollo, forgiven.
Ever since I put away the wacky-weed pipe, I've noticed some of the old mischeviousness returning.
Consider yourselves warned... ;)

Duel, thanks for the suggestion.
I'll look for it.
(It came form an ex-girlfriend, by the way. The Ata suggestion, I mean. She was a crazy chick, which is why I haven't bothered before now, but the author also wrote a little book called Writing A Novel, which I enjoyed immensely.

D

Duel

Sounds familiar, but I can't place it. Who's it by? Is it an instruction book?

(What category does it fall under, anyways? Self-help? How-to? --- for dummies?)

C

Chaos Turtle

Dorothy Bryant is the author.
The book would be something along the lines of Writing Advice. Mostly how-to, I guess.