Chaos Turtle Lives!

Z

Zadok001

Good morning, all. I just woke up like 2 minutes ago, and I'm tired as all get out. That's ok, though, as I also just recieved an email from Chaos Turtle! :) He's still alive! Here's what he has to say:

"Howdy, Zadok!
Bet you're surprised to hear from me...
Here's the lowdown.

Something has gone screwy with my computer, or modem or something. I'm not sure what's wrong, but for the last few weeks I have been unable to access the internet from home. The trouble started when I was downloading MSN Explorer Beta, which was interrupted, and since then no access. My Juno email account still connects normally, but none of my internet browsers are working; neither is Outlook Express. I've reinstalled modem drivers, but not Windows, as the Windows 98 CD I have is apparently flawed.

Bummer, eh?

Anyhow, I'm either getting a new modem in the next couple of weeks, or Windows ME, or both. Otherwise, I may just go out and get a new computer
(mine is ancient, if not prehistoric) when the prices drop just after Thanksgiving.
I'm using all this newly freed up time to catch up on some reading. If you're into it, I'd like to recommend Stephen King's latest, "On Writing." I finally got around to "To Kill a Mockingbird" (at my age, for shame!) and I'm sorry I waited so long. Now I'm on Anne Rice's latest (my one vice, now that I've given up smoking) and next up is "Kin
of Ata are Waiting for You" which was recommended to me many years ago.

Busy, I have been.

Meantime, won't you let the CPA know that I miss 'em, and I'll be around as soon as I'm rolling again. Feel free to share this address with them,
and to contact me here when you get a chance. Pass along a book recommendation (hopefully one I can find easily at the used book store) and your latest deck idea, now that your favorite card has left the Standard environment.

Until then,Your Virtual Friend
Rob
"The Chaos Turtle"

(whose CPA nickname should read, "In Stasis" until his triumphant return);^)"

Yah! It's all good. Hopefully Turtle will be back online shortly, and therefore back on the CPA, posting like a madman. He's got a lot of catching up to do...

You can email him at chaosturtle@juno.com. I look forward to his return in the extreme, been wondering where he went... :) Here's the answer.

Now, go read a good book.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It sounds like if he was downloading Explorer Beta and it got interrupted, it corrupted the previous Explorer (since he can get on e-mail okay, the problem's not his modem or modem connection).

I would suggest deleting the Explorer files (and/or whatever he was saving Beta to) and re-installing the old Explorer.

D

Duster

I'd definately have to say it's not his modem. If he can connect to anything (including Juno) his modem is working properly. Probably a software problem, not sure exactly where the problem could lay though...

S'all from me...
Dustin

D

Duster

If I had a beef against anyone around here, I'd keep it personal. There is NO reason to bring that into public. THe CPA doesn't need all sorts of dissent, that's what brings down the other message boards...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I can't tell if Duel is kidding since apparently he's known for his one-liners. But the lack of smilies really hampers the effort...

D

DÛke

Watch out for Apollo now, he just might come here and tell you that "you can't take a joke", like he always does to me...BUT SEE Apollo, I'm not the only one who thinks SMILIES are vital:):):):)!

A

Apollo

Anyway, I doubt Duel was seriously saying he doesn't want Turtle here. First off, Turtle's an awfully likeable guy, and 2nd, Duel seems smart enough (but just barely:)) not to put a complete flame up.

My guess is, he was either:
a) joking
b) saying that it was better when the disappearance was mysterious, because you knew he might come back any day. Now, we know we won't see him until at least Thanksgiving.

Anyway, give Duel a break and let him explain himself.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I can take a joke with the rest of them.

Can YOU tell it was a joke? You have to admit, it's awfully hard to tell... but of course I'll let Duel explain himself. That's why my first post was merely inquiring as to what he meant.

A

Apollo

No, Spidey, I was kidding. I can't tell if it was a joke either, really. I was just said "can't you take a joke?" because of what DUke said right before me.

Can't you take a joke?:)

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
RE: CT
Not a modem problem - it's a software conflict. Tell him to get Win2k, more stable than all other win9x flavors anyway. Good to know he's not dead.

RE: Duel
Either he's in a REALLY bad mood or someone knows his password and is trying to play a joke. My guess is the latter.

N

nodnarb24

Win2k is way more stable than all of the 9x flavors because it is windows NT 5.0 not a 9x flavor. It is very stable but if you are running older hardware(which it sounds like he does) on your machine then they might not be compatible with Win2k. But he is going to go get a new machine then go for win2k because it is VERY stable. You could go for months with out crashing.

U

Ura

Am I the only person who runs Win 98 without having problems? I've been 17 months crash free with it so far, but my comp is odd for being really well behaved.

Great to know Turtle is still kicking too. :)

D

Darsh

I run Win98se, I've never had a crash on it, and its 10 months old.

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
I run Win98SE, and get crashes daily and BSODs pretty often too. But I'm far from your normal user, running some of the most memory intensive programs possible (MySQL, Photoshop, 3DSMax, etc)... Plus there's some crap Compaq related programs. I'm really a candidate for Win2k :D

A

Apollo

I've got a Windows 9.x and it crashes 3-5 times a week. It is really annoying.

N

Namielus

Originally posted by Darsh
I run Win98se, I've never had a crash on it, and its 10 months old.
???? HOW IN THE 9 SPHERES OF DEATH COULD YOU HAVE GONE 10 MONTHS WITHOUT WINDOWS CRASHING?????

And I'm guessing that duel logged in at school and then didn't log out... then a passerbyer typed that stuff in. That has happened to me 2x I should remeber to logout better.

[Edited by Namielus on 10-25-00 at 11:20 PM]

Z

Zadok001

Hey, Namielus, you know MINE doesn't crash that much. :) You've seen me at LANs, I don't crash. Run slowly, sure, but never crash. Windows is fairly stable on my system (prolly 'cause _I_ don't screw with MY startup routines). ICQ, on the other hand, thinks my system is a chew-toy.

(Aside: A few days ago, I was chatting with Duel and my girlfriend in a shared chatroom on ICQ. ICQ crashed, so I restarted it and asked to be invited back in. Well, sure enough, they invited me in. Much to my great dismay, the situation was as follows:

ICQ opened two windows. In one, I could see what my girlfriend typed. In the other, Duel's messages were visible. If I typed in the one where I could see my girlfriend's messages, only Duel saw what I wrote. The inverse was also true. Furthermore, the addition of each new chatter led to a NEW window opening, with unique properities of its own. In one window, the font suddenly decided that Windings were much more interesting than Times New Roman. One window in particular wouldn't take the 'send' command. :)

I restarted ICQ again. Game over, man. Game over.

End aside.)

"Why not EIGHT spheres of death?"