Champions of Chinpoko

R

Reverend Love

Way back in this post Senior Lotus Mox brought to question the new Kamigawa look.

Some were for the new look, others against, most were just plain'ol disinterested.

Now with MTG News set update, we're getting more pictures, and details on the set.

I'm still doing my best to reserve judgment, but gents... I see a waddle, and I swear I hear quacking.

Foxes (I instantly though of Furries) for creature types? Huge legends? Something tells me we're going to see Yu-Go-Blibidy-Bla ported over to Magic..alla Masques style.

Am I right? Or is this just another one of my knee-jerk reactions?

- The New Art -

I already think some of it's great, other pictures look like complete poo-doo. Then again I hate Anime with an unbridled passion...

T

train

I'm interested in it for the Legends purposes, but that's about it...

M

mythosx

I happen to like anime. But I digress. The art in no way looks animeish so it looks like complete doo doo to me. I know the official set abb. is CHK. But come opening day, I am walking into the store and asking to buy a big box of COK. HILARIOUS. you would think they would be professional enough to change the name.

I

Istanbul

Originally posted by Reverend Love
Foxes (I instantly though of Furries) for creature types?
Actually, foxes were revered animals in Japanese mythology, often worshiped at Inari shrines.

N

Nightstalkers

Umm... its an okay set...

Personally, I think they're trying to make another Portal: 3 kingdoms

M

mythosx

3 kingdoms....wooooo....everyone should read that book if you haven't. Now there is a real epic. It makes European "epics" look like Dr. Suess books.

O

orgg

It looks interesting to me, actually.

I don't really mind the anthromorphic creatures in Magic. I always liked Cat Warriors, though those 'Furries' are a bit... twisted. For Magic, it's nothing new overall, though. I hope they brought back Poison, though... that's the biggest hope I've got.

M

mythosx

You and me both brother you and me both....poison is cool...They don't understand the potential there is to develop that one tiny mechanic.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Originally posted by mythosx
3 kingdoms....wooooo....everyone should read that book if you haven't. Now there is a real epic. It makes European "epics" look like Dr. Suess books.
How exactly could a European epic be made to look like a Dr. Seuss book? What European epics did you have in mind?

N

Notepad

Originally posted by mythosx
I happen to like anime. But I digress. The art in no way looks animeish so it looks like complete doo doo to me. I know the official set abb. is CHK. But come opening day, I am walking into the store and asking to buy a big box of COK. HILARIOUS. you would think they would be professional enough to change the name.
You have it totally correct. They should have thought more about having COK all over the place. All they would need to do was replace the word "Champions" with anything similar yet not penis-sounding in abbreviation.

Lords of Kamigawa
Heroes of Kamigawa
Rulers of Kamigawa

Just my thoughts in ten seconds of brainstorming. What morons to not have thought this through to the COK part.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know, you can make the initials stand for anything, no matter what they are. Looking at SeFRo's suggestions, I see LOcK, HOcK, and ROcK to start out with... :p

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yes, but none of those are problematic, apparently the COK is a bad thing...

I don't love the COK myself, but I don't necessarily hate it either... :p

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, are we talking about the drug or drink (or something else?) I mean, I would normally think the latter and it's not too bad.

And my suggestions for the other ones are just the ones I came up with, someone else could probably think of something worse :)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Drugs? Drinks? What are you talking about? I said the COK, not the coke, if that's what you're thinking of...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Ah, now I get it. And see, I wasn't even thinking of that variation.

I think it's because the "o" sound in "of" makes it a hard vowel, so when I put the acronym together I think of the drug or drink.

N

Notepad

Originally posted by SeFRo
You have it totally correct. They should have thought more about having COK all over the place. All they would need to do was replace the word "Champions" with anything similar yet not penis-sounding in abbreviation.
Yeah, touched on this already. (bad pun)

They purposely made "CHK" to avoid the problem, but logic would say you abbreviate it instead as COK. Especially since the next two expansions are abbreviated as BOK and SOK. Following the first set, shouldn't they be BEK and SAK? Of course not, its silly. Just a way to avoid having everyone giggle about "How much do you enjoy COK? Do you wanna look in my binder and see my COK? Wow, I went to the prerelease...now THAT was a lot of COK!" etc. They could've used so many other words that mean the same thing or close to, as Champions.

What fools.