Casual Showdown - Istanbul vs. Oversoul vs. Spiderman

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
In response to the Vindicate, I'll pay 2 life to draw 2 cards.

Untap, tap Sol Ring to pay upkeep for Illusions, draw, play Tundra, tap out to play Academy Rector and Donate the Illusions of Grandeur to you.

Oversoul: 29
In Hand: 6
In Play:
Islandx2 (T, T)
Swamp x2 (T, T)
Underground Sea (T)
Scrubland (T)
Sol Ring (T)
Academy Rector (U)
Graveyard: Donate, Yawgmoth's Bargain, Donate, Dark Ritual, Frantic Search, Polluted Delta, Dromar's Cavern, Cabal Therapy, Bad River, Duress, Bad River
RFG:

Spiderman: 20
In Hand: 7
In Play:

(T) Library of Alexandria
(T) Nantucko Monastery (T: add 1, Threshold - GW: this becomes a 4/4 G/W creature with first strike until EOT. It's still a land too).

(T) Swamp
(T) Plains

(T) Abyssal Gatekeeper (1B, 1/1, When ~This~ is put in a graveyard from play, each player sacs a creature)

Illusions of Grandeur (age counters: 1)

Graveyard: Hunting Grounds, Hunting Grounds, Vindicate
RFG:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Might as well see how this plays out....

Untap, tap all lands to pay for the Illusions during upkeep, Draw, and concede since I can't play enough lands or mana to pay for the Illusions next game.

Well, should we try again? Do we need to put some restrictions on this since some people's ideas of "casual" is different from others? Maybe Highlander or the modified Tribal format where around three tribes are banned (elves, goblins, and zombies I think... I think it's from Bennie Smith's columns).

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spiderman said:
Might as well see how this plays out....

Untap, tap all lands to pay for the Illusions during upkeep, Draw, and concede since I can't play enough lands or mana to pay for the Illusions next game.

Well, should we try again? Do we need to put some restrictions on this since some people's ideas of "casual" is different from others? Maybe Highlander or the modified Tribal format where around three tribes are banned (elves, goblins, and zombies I think... I think it's from Bennie Smith's columns).
I had some misgivings about the deck, but I didn't know what you guys would be using and I half expected to Donate to one of you while the other one beat me to death or something along those lines. Instead we never saw a bigger attacker that game than my 1/2 Academy Rector (which seems unusual in a game that went on for like seven turns).

Anyway, I don't know how tribal format works, but I'll give it a shot. What are the rules?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure what Isty's deck was up to but it did look like we all were just building up mana to do something (well, I was trying to catch up).

I'll look up the tribal rules...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Alright. I don't have nearly enough new cards to build a deck in this format, but I can use Apprentice and come up with something...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I'm not thinking of a specific tribe. I was thinking about this: "All Online Extended expansions are legal (Seventh Edition and Invasion forward, including Legions)"

Almost all of my cards are Prophecy or older. I have some Invasion cards too, but not enough to build a deck that's worth playing.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oh. No, no, that was for online specifically. I think we were just concerned with the "deck must be 1/3 creatures that share a type" and "60 card minimum" part. This can still be Vintage format.