casual players alliance?!

N

Nightstalkers

time for me to get a can of whoopass, me collapsable bat, and some dark clothes then.

He's not a judge? well, Don't want to meet me after sundown then.

R

Rooser

A little off topic, but if I may say so, Rakamir's flood of Block Constructed decks is kinda sucking the fun out of the decks forum. I have feeling most of us just don't want to look at that. If I want to see more serious decks, I'd go somewhere else. I want to go to the CPA deck forum for goofy stuff.

M

Mikeymike

Originally posted by Rooser
A little off topic, but if I may say so, Rakamir's flood of Block Constructed decks is kinda sucking the fun out of the decks forum. I have feeling most of us just don't want to look at that. If I want to see more serious decks, I'd go somewhere else. I want to go to the CPA deck forum for goofy stuff.
To continue the tangent, I tend to agree...but in all honesty nobody else is really posting anything there right now. At this particular moment I can't justify keeping that Forum empty either. However, the lack of creativity in the Deck section is distressing. I don't post there as much as I used to because I know I'll max out on like 4 or 5 responses.

Hey Rooser, I've got an MP Beats deck in there - critique away bro, it has some cool little tricks in there.

B

BigBlue

I think there's a misnomer here given the name of the site...

T or F
Casual Players don't play in Tournaments.

Tournament players are never casual players. There are several people who post here who are involved, probably not many on the Pro-Tour however. The CPA welcomes all comers, and if someone wants to post their Type II Tech, good for them. Just because I'm a casual player doesn't mean I'm completely uninterested in the tournament scene. I used to be a judge, and play in tournaments once in a while. So, it is interesting to me, but I'm still a casual player.

You'd have to talk to one of the "founders" to get the storyline behind this sites creation, but from what I gather it was a somewhat tongue in cheek name. It sounds better than "Scrub's Corner" which is what the real assinine tourney player's might refer to us as.

Just my .02, take it for what it's worth.

N

Nightstalkers

HEY! we participate in tournaments... not the protour however (already warned against entering from DCI)

I don't really enter to win... just to piss off a certain judge and to get rid of some crap. Heck! I've traded a kid an alliances Force of Will for two northern paladin and a foily alter reality just to get rid of the force of will. I have a low regard for pricing books (as you can tell from my article) but have a very high appreciation for intrinsic value, immediate play value, and even monetary value when trading with certain types. (ex. I'll trade away a mox for a spirit of the night just because I like the card better.)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I tend to agree with BigBlue's statement, that without Rakamir's threads, the Deck forum would be severely lacking.

And some of the "tourney" tech can be used in casual games... for instance, Contested Cliffs always seems to be included in Beast decks, so a casual player should include it also.

Mikeymike reinforces my observations, that getting 4 or 5 responses max seems to indicate that this place is on the downswing (or barely treading water) in terms of active Magic players willing to participate.

The story behind the site is pretty simple: a group of people were displeased at the outcome of the Waylay ruling/errata (exploited by a tourney player) and to a lesser extent the 6th rules, and wanted to keep playing Waylay "the new way" in their casual games. Hence the creation of the site. It was also intended as a gathering place for "casual" players to make their collective voice heard to WOTC (i.e. more multicolored cards) but since no real issues have arisen in a long time (like two years, at least) to rally around, activity has dropped bigtime.

T

train

Tournament players are never casual players.
But I am... I don't win the tourneys anymore, don't strive to... If I play in 1 - it may be 2-3 times a year now... and only to fill the tourney, or it's a pre-release etc...

I enjoy the casual game much more, and was reminded of that last tourney we had, when a player discarded, then tried to attack, and his opponent argued his turn was over because he ha discarded... Unfortunately I had to rule against his being able to attack...:( :rolleyes:

E

EricBess

I personally only have time to read a few forums typically. I check the "deck ideas" occasionally, but the influx from Rakamir has made it so I really can't keep up. As such, my first impression was similar to Rooster and Mikeymike, that it was a bit annoying. But really, when it comes down to it, I don't mind.

What I do mind is that there is occasionally an attitude of "...this is what the pros are using therefore anything else is stupid..."

I've posted a couple of comments in deck ideas and gotten shot down without much thought (not necessarily by Rakamir - this is not an attack). There are a lot of really interesting interactions out there and looking at different angles is often a good way to improve your game. Sure, we're casual, but that doesn't mean we don't play well or don't want to improve our games. We just don't want to do it by copying everyone else on the internet.

So, keep posting, Rakamir, but let's everyone realize that any comments are meant to be helpful. If you don't agree with a comment, explain why, but don't act like your way is the only way. Remember, the fact that we all have different opinions and styles is a strength, not a weakness.

M

mythosx

man i didn't know this would create such a noise...i thought the first page would be the end of it. however, im not trying to stir up a mob against anyone or anything i was just curious. one of the draw backs of online communication is the inability to convey emotions such as curiosity. but yeah it isn't really off topic cuz its what the original post was in the first place.

secondly about the bogus judge. Thats ridicoulus, i could have sworn wizards of the coast publishes a list of all level 3 or higher judges online. if this travis guy is a judge he should be on the list. if his name isn't there just crucify his punk butt.

T

train

if this travis guy is a judge he should be on the list. if his name isn't there just crucify his punk butt.
Or report it to Linda, or Duncan at the DCI...;)

N

Nightstalkers

1ST of all I see how it would be wise to report such a con artist to WotC and get him busted, but I have to disagree with your whole train of thought entirely. I have more power over this one mortal with the threat of turning him in and can get whatever I want out of him thusly than I can by turning his stupid arse in. Plus I have to be good and actually help him out of this mess :goodgodwhatamisaying:... well now, there's actually a good bone in me body!

2ND Mysoxwhatever, you just might get what you ask for :D

Ferret

Staff member
For the record:

The CPA was not founded because of the Waylay rule. It was founded because we wanted to have a voice that could be heard when rulings on cards like Waylay came out. The CPA was created as a response to new sets being created around the latest tournament environments and "metagames" (I loate that word) instead of for the basic fun of the game.

In the old Dojo Forums it was dominated by casual players because we didn't feel like taking to the time to write an article that may or may not be published on The Dojo. We realized that we were the majority of that Magic Players out there. Some of us play in tournaments and some of us even like to play the occasional net.deck, but the one thing that we all had in common is that we play the game for FUN.

-Ferret

"Casual and Pro are not exclusive - just rarely seen on the same person"

M

mythosx

I didn't mean to create such a stir. I agree that the fun and serious can go together. just so long as every one remembers to shower once in a while. you all know what im talking about :).

whats this all about waylay? im relatively new here. so im not sure what thats all about

N

Nightstalkers

first of all, some .\\agic players just need to get a better sense of hygene.

second... I'm not even sure what this whole waylay stuff is about!

Code:
Accessing Database, Please Wait.......
Waylay
2W
Type: White Instant
Non-Foil Uncommon
Artist: Greg Stapes
Edition: US

Put three Knight tokens into play. Treat these tokens as 2/2 white creatures. Remove them from the game at the end of turn.

"You reek of corruption, " spat the knight. "Why are you even here?"

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
The CPA was not founded because of the Waylay rule. It was founded because we wanted to have a voice that could be heard when rulings on cards like Waylay came out.
These actually sound the same; it was the Waylay rule that "broke the camel's back", so to speak. The "rulings" were all related to 6th ed., which is what I said (and honestly, I don't remember any other situations besides Waylay - I think I asked for examples before and no one could come up with any others).

The CPA was created as a response to new sets being created around the latest tournament environments and "metagames" (I loate that word) instead of for the basic fun of the game.
This is also kinda what I said - the caveat here is that since development and playtesting of sets happen two years in advance, any "impact" the CPA might have would have been seen in late 2001/2002 (more the latter since 2000 is when the CPA really got together). Additionally, you can't really measure any "success" of the CPA since there isn't any acknowledgement from WOTC of what really influenced the cards in sets. Sure, there's more "casual" cards like multicolored in recent sets, but who's to say it's the CPA (which has really had a small voice overall in its existence) or the R&D team who happens to like multicolored cards?

That was the old Waylay wording. With 6th rules, you could cast it at you opponent's end of turn and since there's only one at eot trigger, they wouldn't go away until YOUR at eot, meaning you could attack with them and stuff, so 3 mana was giving you 3 2/2 creatures - pretty cheap. WOTC errata'd it to say:

Play ~this~ only during combat

Killer Joe

Gizmo once said that I shold be a part the S.T.P.A. Struggling Tournament Players Alliance :D

I game with a couple of level one judges and they are the most casual players I know but are "rules Guru's" or at least I think so. I'm just too embaressed to ask them simple q's like trample or double X spells :rolleyes:

~Mark

N

Nightstalkers

Plus if they're your friends, you shouldn't have to worry about asking stupid questions :D

M

mythosx

if you never open your mouth, no one will ever know you don't know anything...hahaha...

N

Nightstalkers

and when you don't open your mouth to breath, you'll be cristoned a statue!