casual players alliance?!

M

mythosx

this post is not meant as an attack on anyone or anything related to this site. however, i have noticed several posts lately in the strategies section, that seemed to have a seirous tone to them about the latest official tourney results. I'm not complaining per se, i just assumed this was a laid back site and not many people cared about the latest type 2 strategies and discussed how to sweep the next tourney. again, not complaining jsut commenting. secondly, why would anyone discuss theier deck strategies online? wouldn't you want it to be a surprise? you don't want some kid with a wad of cash and no talent to go by a better deck than you....sigh...on of the draw backs of playing magic

T

train

Mythosx...

Most of what you're referring to sounds like it's from Rakamir... Though he's fairly new here he does have a great interest in the tourney scene. Honestly, he may just have an interest in Block formats - not sure... either way - he's a Magic player, both serioous and casual... and does a lot of testing... for tourney decks, however testing tourney decks is really casual playing...

I myself am a tourney player - or used to be - I mainly judge now... I personally like the CPA for it's talk on Magic, and other things in Life in general...

And just to mention... if you look at all the posts on his threads - they're mainly from myself, or him, maybe a few others, because as you mentioned - this is a casual players alliance...

Though I'm rambling - all I can say is that he shares the game of Magic with most of the rest of us... and anyone not causing trouble, and sharing the game with us, is welcome...

N

Nightstalkers

Don't fret. we all have our tendancies towards flaming. remember, once you figure out a few tricks from the blocks, you can quickly adjust them for your casual deck... That's what I learned anyhow!

Oh, trainy dearest, judge this:

one on one duel, one player has six life, the other 12. If its player A's turn and he casts prosperity for twelve, draining both libraries. If both players have to draw a card, and none are present in the library, who wins?

T

train

one on one duel, one player has six life, the other 12. If its player A's turn and he casts prosperity for twelve, draining both libraries. If both players have to draw a card, and none are present in the library, who wins?
First off dealing with Prosperity- If you mean 6 cards in library and 12 cards, then the player having 6 cards loses... Because the other player was not required to draw more cards than were in his library... He would draw 12, the number of cards in his library...

If they both had less than 12 cards, then the game is a draw...

Otherwise the life doesn't matter...

If both players have empty libraries and both have to draw at the same time for another reason... the game is a draw...

;)

N

Nightstalkers

me level three judge groupee said that the first player to draw out their deck loses.

I'm going to beat the crap out of the judges around here one of these days.

R

Reverend Love

I can sorta understand why he posts here being that the flaming in general is kept to where it belong’s..and the Mods do a good job of maintaining order (these boards are pretty calm however). Fortunately there also seems to be a refreshing lack of Magic Elitism present at so many other sites. Also just because most of us prefer casual play, that doesn’t necessarily mean we’re scrubs…in fact I’m sure some of us here are pretty good tournament players. So it’s understandable why someone might want to venture off the casually beat’n path now and then.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Who's been flaming over the weekend? I guess I'll have to check out the Single Card Strategy forum next...

Despite the official title of "Casual Player's", this site is open to everyone. We have or have had several players stop by and occasionally offer input: Gizmo when he was playing and John Omered are the two that come to mind now. Besides, some uses of cards could spark some imagination to be used in "casual" play.

Nightstalkers: Isn't that what train said? So your level 3 judge is right...

T

train

Spidey - I'm going to ass-u-me that Nightstalkers is saying that if they had eleven cards in one library, and 6 in the other, that the one with 6 would lose because he draws "out" first...

For Nightstalkers
If so - that's not the case... the spell resolves completely, they both would lose(for having to draw more cards than were in their library - SBE), so the game is a draw...

"But I should know better than to assume with Nightstalkers...";) :D

N

Nightstalkers

exactly how the guy explained it to me. but this coming friday, I'll have completely pissed him off, and given him some of me patented Love/Hate Brownies :D

gotta love playing with over the counter drugs...

M

mythosx

thanx for the input guys. very helpful... sorry if i offended anyone.

N

Nightstalkers

Sorry... Sorry! is that all you have to say to us!?!

guess we had it coming to us anyways ;)

R

Reverend Love

Spidey

Nobody really. The Political Discussions can get heated but that's whats expected.

T

train

The judge Nightstalkers keeps talking about sounds like a flamer...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
How hard is it to be a level 3? It doesn't seem like he should keep messing up rulings like that...

T

train

This Hard...

Level 3 Judge Requirements

Qualifications

Score of 100% on English-language judge certification exam.
Judging of at least twenty DCI-sanctioned tournaments, including at least two premier events or one professional event.
Judging of at least five events under supervision of a level 3 or higher judge.
Evaluation interview with same level 3 or higher judge to determine if candidate is ready for level 3 interview.
Recommendation for level 3 interview from a level 3 or higher judge.
Experience as head judge for DCI-sanctioned tournaments of various formats and sizes.
Expert knowledge of DCI Penalty Guidelines, Standard Floor Rules, and judge certification processes and policies.
Experience as a player in DCI-sanctioned tournaments.
Thorough knowledge of DCI Reporter software.
Expert knowledge of DCI rating system, K-value system, tournament sanctioning procedure, appeal process, and invitation policies.
Expert knowledge of current Magic rules.
Well-developed communication skills: ability to thoroughly explain Magic rules, penalties, and tournament procedures to players and other tournament staff.
Ability to head judge a large-sized DCI-sanctioned tournament (128 or more players), both with and without the use of software to administer the tournament.
Ability to accurately complete the following tournament forms: match report slip, match report form, master player list, sanctioning application, warning form, and event report summary; and electronic filing through DCI Reporter software.
Available for judge certification testing in local region on a regular basis.
Expert knowledge of all major tournament structures: Swiss, single elimination, double elimination, and modified double elimination.
Expert knowledge of Limited (Sealed Deck, Booster Draft, and Rochester Draft) and Constructed formats.
Expert knowledge of DCI-recommended Swiss tiebreakers and how to calculate them.
Thorough knowledge of policies and procedures regarding team play.
Consistent email and Internet access.
High level of personal integrity.
Good overall presentation: professional appearance, cleanliness, and conduct.
High interest and involvement in promoting the Judge Certification Program.

Nightstalkers - What is the judge's name... I can check to see if he's on the cerrtified list...;)

N

Nightstalkers

He'll have honorable mention in me RPG. and I'll bug the crap outta him this coming friday :D

I'm not a judge (And I'm having my doubts about this nut being one) but I've shown the guy up enough that the monday tourney had people double guessing him.

O

orgg

What. Is. His. Name.

This is important. Either you've got a faker Level 3, a serious offence, or you've got a dumboink who somehow has gotten his Level 3 by selling R&D some good Crack.

N

Nightstalkers

Travis is his first... don't listen for last, nor care to get the poor fool in trouble. Just love getting kicked from tournaments where I'm right all the time. (and it makes him look like an arse when he says you can styfle your draw)

Don't worry about it. the tournament hasn't been sanctioned for at least a year and I just love getting me licks in :D

When he finally snaps, I can either run like the wind (usually what I do) or stand and take whatever he has for me. I love controversy.

1st law of the Mots: Update, update, update.
If you don't know the most recent rulings, don't judge.

T

train

There's no Level 3 Travis anywhere in the world... if that's his real first name...