Casual Decks: Spidey vs TomB

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, (and I think we misplayed this last game too), correct me if I'm wrong, but the ability to untap the Vault is at the beginning of upkeep. If I tap it during your upkeep, after the "At beginning of upkeep" triggers have passed, you can't untap it and so will take 1 at the beginning of your draw phase, correct?

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Fine...I never really realized the Vault could only be untapped at the very beginning of the upkeep phase...Did I mention before that I pretty much stopped paying attention to the rules once 6th ed kicked in? :p

I'll correct my current state in my last post then...:)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
TomB said:
Untap, Upkeep (Icy taps the Vault, then I pay 4 by tapping the Boilerworks, Underground Sea, and Mountain to untap the Vault...I still take the damage though, apparently), Draw, Play a Dimir Aqueduct, returning the mountain to my hand, Done.
Actually, from your turn, the Vault is untapped at the beginning of your upkeep. So you can't tap anything to untap it. Then I tap it during your upkeep. So you end up taking 1 at the beginning of your draw step because it fulfills that trigger. So I edited your stats to show just your Vault tapped (well, and the Aqueduct).

Untap, upkeep, Draw, Watery Grave coming in tapped, Done.

Now during your turn, at the beginning of your upkeep, you can tap your lands to untap the Vault if you wish. However, I will still tap a Swamp and the Icy to re-tap it if necessary during your upkeep.

Spiderman: 17
Hand: 4
Library: 46
In Play:

(U,U,U,U) Underground Sea x4 (B/U Dual)
(T) Watery Grave (B/U Ravnica Dual)
(T?) Swamp

(T?) Icy Manipulator (1, T: tap target creature, artifact, or land)

Graveyard: Polluted Delta, El-Hajjaj, Polluted Delta, Polluted Delta
RFG:

TomB: 19
Hand: 6
Library: 48
In Play:

(T) Dimir Aqueduct (Dimir Aqueduct comes into play tapped. When Dimir Aqueduct comes into play, return a land you control to its owner's hand. Tap: BU)
(U) Forbidden Orchard (Tap: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Whenever you tap Forbidden Orchard for mana, put a 1/1 colorless Spirit creature token into play under target opponent's control.)
(U) Underground Sea (B/U Dual land)
(U) Izzet Boilerworks (Izzet Boilerworks comes into play tapped. When Izzet Boilerworks comes into play, return a land you control to its owner's hand. Tap: UR)
(T) Mana Vault (Mana Vault doesn't untap during your untap step. At the beginning of your upkeep, you may pay 4 Mana. If you do, untap Mana Vault. At the beginning of your draw step, if Mana Vault is tapped, it deals 1 damage to you. Tap: Add 3 Mana to your mana pool.)

Graveyard: Lightning Bolt
RFG:

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Spiderman said:
Actually, from your turn, the Vault is untapped at the beginning of your upkeep. So you can't tap anything to untap it. Then I tap it during your upkeep. So you end up taking 1 at the beginning of your draw step because it fulfills that trigger. So I edited your stats to show just your Vault tapped (well, and the Aqueduct).
Are you really gonna get all rules-lawyery on me here, Spidey? Who cares?!?!?

Untap, Upkeep (taking one from the Vault), Draw, Play mountain, Done.

In Play:

(T?) Swamp

RFG:

TomB: 18
Library: 47
In Play:

(U) Mountain
(U) Dimir Aqueduct (Dimir Aqueduct comes into play tapped. When Dimir Aqueduct comes into play, return a land you control to its owner's hand. Tap: BU)
(U) Forbidden Orchard (Tap: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Whenever you tap Forbidden Orchard for mana, put a 1/1 colorless Spirit creature token into play under target opponent's control.)
(U) Izzet Boilerworks (Izzet Boilerworks comes into play tapped. When Izzet Boilerworks comes into play, return a land you control to its owner's hand. Tap: UR)
(T) Mana Vault (Mana Vault doesn't untap during your untap step. At the beginning of your upkeep, you may pay 4 Mana. If you do, untap Mana Vault. At the beginning of your draw step, if Mana Vault is tapped, it deals 1 damage to you. Tap: Add 3 Mana to your mana pool.)

RFG:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry if I came off high-handed :(

It's my only way of doing damage! ;)

Untap, upkeep, Draw, Underground River, Done.

Same deal with the Vault during your turn.

Library: 45
In Play:

(U) Watery Grave (B/U Ravnica Dual)
(U) Underground River (B/U Pain)
(T?) Swamp

RFG:

TomB: 18
Library: 47
In Play:

(U) Mountain
(U) Dimir Aqueduct (Dimir Aqueduct comes into play tapped. When Dimir Aqueduct comes into play, return a land you control to its owner's hand. Tap: BU)

RFG:

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Spiderman said:
Sorry if I came off high-handed :(

It's my only way of doing damage! ;)
At least you HAVE a way to deal damage...:(

j/k...:p

Untap, Upkeep (ouch), Draw, Play Subterranean Hanger, Done.

Library: 45
In Play:

(T?) Swamp

RFG:

TomB: 17
In Play:

(U) Mountain
(T) Subterranean Hanger (Subterranean Hangar comes into play tapped. Tap: Put a storage counter on Subterranean Hangar. Tap: Remove any number of storage counters from Subterranean Hangar: Add B to your mana pool for each storage counter removed this way.)

RFG:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Untap, upkeep, Draw, Done.

Same deal during your upkeep.

Hand: 5
Library: 44
In Play:

(T?) Swamp

RFG:

TomB: 17
In Play:

(U) Mountain
(T) Subterranean Hanger (Subterranean Hangar comes into play tapped. Tap: Put a storage counter on Subterranean Hangar. Tap: Remove any number of storage counters from Subterranean Hangar: Add B to your mana pool for each storage counter removed this way.)

RFG:

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Untap, Upkeep (ouch), Draw, Play Bloodstained Mire, tap it and pay a life to go get a Volcanic Island, Tap Sub Hanger for a counter, Done.

In Play:

(T) Swamp

(T) Icy Manipulator (1, T: tap target creature, artifact, or land)

RFG:

TomB: 15
In Play:

(U) Mountain
(T) Subterranean Hanger (Subterranean Hangar comes into play tapped. Tap: Put a storage counter on Subterranean Hangar. Tap: Remove any number of storage counters from Subterranean Hangar: Add B to your mana pool for each storage counter removed this way.) 1 counter
(U) Volcanic Island (U/R Dual land)

Graveyard: Lightning Bolt, Bloodstained Mire
RFG:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Untap, upkeep, Draw, tap out for Szadek, Lord of Secrets, Done.

Library: 43
In Play:

(T,T,T,T) Underground Sea x4 (B/U Dual)
(T) Underground River (B/U Pain)
(T) Swamp

(U) Icy Manipulator (1, T: tap target creature, artifact, or land)

(S) Szadek, Lord of Secrets (5/5, flying, lots of text about milling)

RFG:

In Play:

(U) Mountain
(T) Subterranean Hanger (Subterranean Hangar comes into play tapped. Tap: Put a storage counter on Subterranean Hangar. Tap: Remove any number of storage counters from Subterranean Hangar: Add B to your mana pool for each storage counter removed this way.) 1 counter

Graveyard: Lightning Bolt, Bloodstained Mire
RFG:

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Tap out (except for the Orchard) for an Ertai's Meddling putting 6 delay counters on Szadek...Does it work?

In Play:

(T) Swamp

(S) Szadek, Lord of Secrets (5/5, flying, lots of text about milling) 6 delay counters?

RFG:

In Play:

(T) Mountain
(T) Dimir Aqueduct (Dimir Aqueduct comes into play tapped. When Dimir Aqueduct comes into play, return a land you control to its owner's hand. Tap: BU)
(T) Underground Sea (B/U Dual land)
(T) Volcanic Island (U/R Dual land)
(T) Izzet Boilerworks (Izzet Boilerworks comes into play tapped. When Izzet Boilerworks comes into play, return a land you control to its owner's hand. Tap: UR)

Graveyard: Lightning Bolt, Bloodstained Mire, Ertai's Meddling
RFG:

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
kewl...Untap, Upkeep (I'll take the damage), Draw, Play Sol Ring (tapping mountain), then tap it all except for Forbidding Orchard (removing the counter from Sub Hanger) to cast Denying Wind (Search target player's library for up to seven cards and remove them from the game. Then that player shuffles his or her library.)...Responses?

In Play:

(T) Swamp

(S) Szadek, Lord of Secrets (5/5, flying, lots of text about milling) 6 delay counters

RFG:

TomB: 14
In Play:

(T) Mountain
(T) Subterranean Hanger (Subterranean Hangar comes into play tapped. Tap: Put a storage counter on Subterranean Hangar. Tap: Remove any number of storage counters from Subterranean Hangar: Add B to your mana pool for each storage counter removed this way.) 0 counter
(T) Izzet Boilerworks (Izzet Boilerworks comes into play tapped. When Izzet Boilerworks comes into play, return a land you control to its owner's hand. Tap: UR)
(T) Sol Ring (Tap: Add 2 to your mana pool.)

Graveyard: Lightning Bolt, Bloodstained Mire, Ertai's Meddling
RFG:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Egads! Here's my library:

3 Island
2 Swamp
3 Watery Grave
3 Underground River
1 Polluted Delta
1 Jester's Mask
1 Spire Golem
1 Clutch of the Undercity
1 Glimpse the Unthinkable
2 Undermine
1 Mundungu
1 Spite // Malice
1 Diabolic Vision
1 Circu, Dimir Lobotomist
1 Phage the Untouchable
1 Black Knight
1 Diabolic Edict
1 Nettling Imp
1 Sorceress Queen
1 Royal Assassin
2 Dark Ritual
1 Hypnox
1 Underworld Dreams
1 Stifle
1 Dominating Licid
1 Donate
1 Dream Halls
1 Clone
1 Force of Will
2 Drift of Phantasms
1 Knight of the Mists
1 Scrivener
1 Thwart

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
kewl...I'll choose Circu, Dimir Lobotomist, Phage the Untouchable, Underworld Dreams, Spire Golem, Jester's Mask, Hypnox, Royal Assassin...Then I'm done...:)

In Play:

(T) Swamp

(S) Szadek, Lord of Secrets (5/5, flying, lots of text about milling) 6 delay counters

RFG: Circu, Dimir Lobotomist, Phage the Untouchable, Underworld Dreams, Spire Golem, Jester's Mask, Hypnox, Royal Assassin

In Play:

(T) Mountain
(T) Subterranean Hanger (Subterranean Hangar comes into play tapped. Tap: Put a storage counter on Subterranean Hangar. Tap: Remove any number of storage counters from Subterranean Hangar: Add B to your mana pool for each storage counter removed this way.) 0 counter

Graveyard: Lightning Bolt, Bloodstained Mire, Ertai's Meddling, Denying Wind
RFG:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting choices...

Untap, upkeep - remove a Delay ctr, Draw, Demonic Tutor, Clone my Szadek, Island, Done.

If you untap your Vault, I'll tap it again before your draw phase.

Library: 34
In Play:

(T,T,U,U) Underground Sea x4 (B/U Dual)
(T) Swamp
(T) Island

(S) Szadek, Lord of Secrets (5/5, flying, lots of text about milling) 5 delay counters
(S) Clone of Szadek

RFG: Circu, Dimir Lobotomist, Phage the Untouchable, Underworld Dreams, Spire Golem, Jester's Mask, Hypnox, Royal Assassin

In Play:

(T) Mountain

Graveyard: Lightning Bolt, Bloodstained Mire, Ertai's Meddling, Denying Wind
RFG:

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I'm sure I'll have no response to the Clone, Spidey, but I'm having connection problems at home where the deck is, so I'll have to update you with my turn later...Sorry..:(

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
AT&T blew me off earlier today, so the earliest I can get back to you will (hopefully) be tomorrow...:)

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, I'm back now...:)

Untap, Upkeep (ouch), Draw, Play Swamp, Play Searing Wind, targetting the Clone?

Library: 34
In Play:

(T,T,U,U) Underground Sea x4 (B/U Dual)
(T) Swamp
(T) Island

(S) Szadek, Lord of Secrets (5/5, flying, lots of text about milling) 5 delay counters
(S) Clone of Szadek

TomB: 13
Hand: 3
Library: 42
In Play:

(T) Mountain
(T) Swamp
(U) Subterranean Hanger (Subterranean Hangar comes into play tapped. Tap: Put a storage counter on Subterranean Hangar. Tap: Remove any number of storage counters from Subterranean Hangar: Add B to your mana pool for each storage counter removed this way.) 0 counter

Graveyard: Lightning Bolt, Bloodstained Mire, Ertai's Meddling, Searing Wind
RFG: