Casual Decks: Spidey vs TomB

L

Limited

Either you tap the land for mana, let the ability go on stack (so you can't play the pyroclasm), it resolves and provides a token and the trigger of the TA goes on the stack (still can't play the Pyroclasm) and resolves at which time he can sacrifice the token.

Or you tap the land for mana during the playing of Pyroclasm, the pyroclasm is put on the stack, and the Forbidden Orchard trigger is put on the stack, which resolves first, putting a token into play, triggering TA, resolves and the token can be sacrificed, and then the pyroclasm resolves.

if you wan't to abuse the TA with forbidden orchard, you need to destroy the token after it came into play (obv) but before TA's trigger resolves.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
That looks needlessly confusing...Are you saying he can sac the token itself if I do it in the wrong order? If so, then I do it the other way so as to attempt to compel the sacrificing of something else, then let the token die to the Pyroclasm.

Unless you're saying that EITHER way the token can be sacced to the TA, in which case it doesn't matter and you've just taken away my almost last attempt to have fun playing with this pile (at least, in this match)...:p

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
TomB said:
Unless you're saying that EITHER way the token can be sacced to the TA, in which case it doesn't matter...
That is indeed what he's saying unless you can Bolt or get rid of the token before the Aether Taint's ability resolves, since when it triggers you have priority... but since you're trying to have some fun, I'll go along with it. :)

I'll sac the Underground River, and then the token dies.

So it's still your turn after all of that :)

Spiderman: 17
Hand: 6
Library: 26
In Play:

(U,U,U,U) Underground Sea x4 (B/U Dual)
(T,U) Watery Grave x2 (B/U Ravnica Dual)
(U) Swamp
(U) Island

(U) Icy Manipulator (1, T: tap target creature, artifact, or land)

(T) Szadek, Lord of Secrets (20/20, flying, lots of text about milling) *15 +1/+1 ctrs *
(T) Scrivener (2/2)

Graveyard: Polluted Delta, El-Hajjaj, Polluted Delta, Polluted Delta, Clone, Swamp, Swamp, Undermine, Underground River

RFG: Circu, Dimir Lobotomist, Phage the Untouchable, Underworld Dreams, Spire Golem, Jester's Mask, Hypnox, Royal Assassin

TomB: 3
Hand: 2
Library: 19
In Play:

(U) Faerie Conclave (Faerie Conclave comes into play tapped. Tap: Add U to your mana pool. 1U: Faerie Conclave becomes a 2/1 blue creature with flying until end of turn. It's still a land.)
(U) Mountain
(T) Swamp
(U) Subterranean Hanger (Subterranean Hangar comes into play tapped. Tap: Put a storage counter on Subterranean Hangar. Tap: Remove any number of storage counters from Subterranean Hangar: Add B to your mana pool for each storage counter removed this way.) 0 counter(s)
(U) Dimir Aqueduct (Dimir Aqueduct comes into play tapped. When Dimir Aqueduct comes into play, return a land you control to its owner's hand. Tap: BU)
(T) Forbidden Orchard (Tap: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Whenever you tap Forbidden Orchard for mana, put a 1/1 colorless Spirit creature token into play under target opponent's control.)
(U) Underground Sea (B/U Dual land)
(U) Volcanic Island (U/R Dual land)
(U) Izzet Boilerworks (Izzet Boilerworks comes into play tapped. When Izzet Boilerworks comes into play, return a land you control to its owner's hand. Tap: UR)
(U) Grim Monolith (Grim Monolith doesn't untap during your untap step. Tap: Add 3 colorless mana to your mana pool. 4: Untap Grim Monolith.)
(U) Sol Ring (Tap: Add 2 to your mana pool.)
(T) Mana Vault (Mana Vault doesn't untap during your untap step. At the beginning of your upkeep, you may pay 4 Mana. If you do, untap Mana Vault. At the beginning of your draw step, if Mana Vault is tapped, it deals 1 damage to you. Tap: Add 3 Mana to your mana pool.)

Tainted Æther (Enchantment: Whenever a creature comes into play, its controller sacrifices a creature or land)

Graveyard: Lightning Bolt, Bloodstained Mire, Ertai's Meddling, Denying Wind, Searing Wind, Stitch in Time, Plague Wind, Swamp, Feroz's Ban, Brainspoil, Darksteel Ingot, Volcanic Island, Yawgmoth's Bargain, Aether Flash, Dark Ritual, Jade Statue, Watery Grave, Rakdos Carnarium, Demonic Tutor, Torch Song, Swamp, Lake of the Dead, Grab the Reins, Pyroclasm
RFG:

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Naw...It's cool if it doesn't get rid of anything else...Kind of a lame combo though, since it only works with Æther Flash (or some other "kills it when it comes into play" effect) in play...:(

Okay...I'll tap everything to cast a 12-point Fireball, targetting you...;)

Spiderman: 17
In Play:

(U) Swamp
(U) Island

(T) Szadek, Lord of Secrets (20/20, flying, lots of text about milling) *15 +1/+1 ctrs *
(T) Scrivener (2/2)

Graveyard: Polluted Delta, El-Hajjaj, Polluted Delta, Polluted Delta, Clone, Swamp, Swamp, Undermine, Underground River

RFG: Circu, Dimir Lobotomist, Phage the Untouchable, Underworld Dreams, Spire Golem, Jester's Mask, Hypnox, Royal Assassin

Hand: 1
In Play:

(T) Faerie Conclave (Faerie Conclave comes into play tapped. Tap: Add U to your mana pool. 1U: Faerie Conclave becomes a 2/1 blue creature with flying until end of turn. It's still a land.)
(T) Mountain
(T) Swamp
(U) Subterranean Hanger (Subterranean Hangar comes into play tapped. Tap: Put a storage counter on Subterranean Hangar. Tap: Remove any number of storage counters from Subterranean Hangar: Add B to your mana pool for each storage counter removed this way.) 0 counter(s)
(T) Dimir Aqueduct (Dimir Aqueduct comes into play tapped. When Dimir Aqueduct comes into play, return a land you control to its owner's hand. Tap: BU)
(T) Forbidden Orchard (Tap: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Whenever you tap Forbidden Orchard for mana, put a 1/1 colorless Spirit creature token into play under target opponent's control.)
(T) Underground Sea (B/U Dual land)
(T) Volcanic Island (U/R Dual land)
(T) Izzet Boilerworks (Izzet Boilerworks comes into play tapped. When Izzet Boilerworks comes into play, return a land you control to its owner's hand. Tap: UR)
(T) Grim Monolith (Grim Monolith doesn't untap during your untap step. Tap: Add 3 colorless mana to your mana pool. 4: Untap Grim Monolith.)
(T) Sol Ring (Tap: Add 2 to your mana pool.)
(T) Mana Vault (Mana Vault doesn't untap during your untap step. At the beginning of your upkeep, you may pay 4 Mana. If you do, untap Mana Vault. At the beginning of your draw step, if Mana Vault is tapped, it deals 1 damage to you. Tap: Add 3 Mana to your mana pool.)

Tainted Æther (Enchantment: Whenever a creature comes into play, its controller sacrifices a creature or land)

Graveyard: Lightning Bolt, Bloodstained Mire, Ertai's Meddling, Denying Wind, Searing Wind, Stitch in Time, Plague Wind, Swamp, Feroz's Ban, Brainspoil, Darksteel Ingot, Volcanic Island, Yawgmoth's Bargain, Aether Flash, Dark Ritual, Jade Statue, Watery Grave, Rakdos Carnarium, Demonic Tutor, Torch Song, Swamp, Lake of the Dead, Grab the Reins, Pyroclasm
RFG:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Going for the hits to the head... no response. :(

When you update, don't forget my Scrivener is in my graveyard, dead from the Pyroclasm.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Okay...Well, I'm done, and next turn you win anyways...Good game in any event. The semi-amusing thing is, had I kept the counters on the Sub Hanger when I tried to cast the Bargain I would have had 2 more mana to pump into the Fireball, and with the 2 I spent on the Pyroclasm I'd have gotten you down to 1...Of course, the Scrivener basically won the game for you by getting you back the Undermine...Not saying you wouldn't have beaten me anyways, but it kinda iced it up...:cool:

Death by Scrivener for me...Oh, the infamy! ;)

Spiderman: 5
In Play:

(U) Swamp
(U) Island

RFG: Circu, Dimir Lobotomist, Phage the Untouchable, Underworld Dreams, Spire Golem, Jester's Mask, Hypnox, Royal Assassin, Scrivener

Hand: 1
In Play:

(T) Faerie Conclave (Faerie Conclave comes into play tapped. Tap: Add U to your mana pool. 1U: Faerie Conclave becomes a 2/1 blue creature with flying until end of turn. It's still a land.)
(T) Mountain
(T) Swamp
(T) Dimir Aqueduct (Dimir Aqueduct comes into play tapped. When Dimir Aqueduct comes into play, return a land you control to its owner's hand. Tap: BU)
(T) Underground Sea (B/U Dual land)
(T) Volcanic Island (U/R Dual land)
(T) Izzet Boilerworks (Izzet Boilerworks comes into play tapped. When Izzet Boilerworks comes into play, return a land you control to its owner's hand. Tap: UR)
(T) Grim Monolith (Grim Monolith doesn't untap during your untap step. Tap: Add 3 colorless mana to your mana pool. 4: Untap Grim Monolith.)
(T) Sol Ring (Tap: Add 2 to your mana pool.)

RFG:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Good game! Whew! Yeah, I was holding onto the Scrivener for the longest time because I wasn't drawing any instants! Just land... :rolleyes: ....

I would have thought you would have gone for my counters when you played Denying Wind as I thought you had burn spells or whatever for any creatures that might have come out... that's why I was a bit wondering when you made your choices :)

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, the card I regretted not pulling was the Clone...This deck has way too little creature control for a creatureless deck...Doing creatureless in a Highlander format is I think a recipe for disaster...Too bad I couldn't have hit you with that Searing Wind (then the Fireball would have been for the win), but, as I said, the Clone just wrecked the whole plan.

It was fun anyways...:)