Casual Card Hall of Fame Nomination: Conflux

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
So after Worldwake was released, Conflux is available for nominations and voting!

Nominations end Monday, 03/15 at 7:00 AM EST.

Committee members: Oversoul, turgy22, theorgg

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
Oh, are we to name cards now? Sorry, I misinterpreted your post. Last time I wasn't really positive about Alara, I think Conflux is even worse. There are nice cards, but it doesn't really feel like a set. Apparently there's a big story behind the set, but I'm not really into third-grade fantasy books. But Nicol Bolas is the main villain in the book and he's in the set, so I think that card could be a contender. Nicol Bolas sure has flavor, however his card doesn't tie in with any of the set's mechanics. At least Sarkhan Vol makes dragons, which makes some sense in the Jund shard.

So, what else is there? Euh, Progenitus, it showcases all colors in it's casting cost, and, well, nothing. Perhaps Sigil of the Empty Throne tickles the casual player's fancy, but it doesn't tie in to the set. Knight of the Reliquary is a nice card to build a deck around, and it enables other cards in the set. So yes, why not stick with Knight of the Reliquary...

This set sucks.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, only Shabbaman posted something in a week... he should probably win by default :)

I guess I'll leave this open until we get enough nominations (like 4-5), but who knows when that will be...

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
While I heartily second Shabbaman's nomination of Progenitus, I do feel that there are more worthy cards in Conflux. I'll add a second card to the mix.

Ancient Ziggurat: For the most part, casual players love playing creatures (unless you're Oversoul or myself).
Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker: No brainer, but I'm no longer sold on his casual-ness.
Sigil of the Empty Throne: Seems pretty narrow. Interestingly found a home in legacy Enchantress decks.
Thornling: Big... beefy... stomping... goodness... *drool*

While these cards are all worthy nominees, most of them just don't make the game "fun" IMHO. However, Ancient Ziggurat helps makes your fun happen with efficiency and therefore warrants my nomination.

I still think Progenitus is better.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Truthfully, I am not up on the newer cards..... I don't even think i opened any of these yet.
I'll try to look at them, but meh......

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Ransac;290147 said:
While I heartily second Shabbaman's nomination of Progenitus, I do feel that there are more worthy cards in Conflux. I'll add a second card to the mix.
It looks to me like Shabbaman nominated Knight of the Reliquary...

T

theorgg

C'mon. Noone wants to take a look at the guy they put on the box?

I'd have nominated a few cards, but I'm on the committee.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
a-HA!!!!!!! We have a game!! If Shabbaman nominated the Knight, I will whole-heartedly nominate Progenitus!!

Ransac, cpa trash man

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
Ransac;290797 said:
a-HA!!!!!!! We have a game!! If Shabbaman nominated the Knight, I will whole-heartedly nominate Progenitus!!

Ransac, cpa trash man
Ah, why not...

Isn't it about time something happens with this thread?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I was hoping to get more than two nominations... preferably around 4-5, despite what I said above about just getting one more... otherwise, I don't think it means all that much...

D

DarthFerret

I think the biggest problem is that a lot of us have not been buying or even looking at the new stuff

turgy22

Nothing Special
That presents a problem.

Maybe we should just do away with the whole committee / nomination process. I like the CCHoF, but I'm not a fan of the implementation. Worst case scenario (as in, with the least amount of nominees) you'd need 7 active participants - 3 committee members and 4 nominators - for each set. If we don't have 7 people that care enough about the new sets, the system just doesn't work.

Why can't all the active members here just discuss and vote on cards? We could still have an official "committee" for the final vote, but include everyone who wants to be on it. There's some other things I don't like about the current method, but this is obviously the biggest thing, since we literally can't do anything without enough people involved.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
turgy22;291773 said:
Worst case scenario (as in, with the least amount of nominees) you'd need 7 active participants - 3 committee members and 4 nominators - for each set. If we don't have 7 people that care enough about the new sets, the system just doesn't work.
Pretty much. I try to always nominate a card, even if it's a set that I haven't really dealt with, I just go through the cards on Apprentice and pick the ones I like the most to narrow it down to 5-10 cards and figure out which one to nominate from there. But lately I've been on the committee (along with two other people who could potentially nominate cards).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I try to do the same (haven't with this set though).

While turgy22's idea would get the Hall moving again, I believe that it kind of dilutes the whole process and basically makes the Hall irrelevant. I mean, the Hall is supposed to be the "casual card" most representative of that set. If only, say, 5 people participate, it's more like what those people thought of what that casual card is, especially if they vote and nominate at the same time. That was the idea behind keeping the committee from nominating.

Obviously we're already working on the bare minimum anyway and it comes down to the three people on the committee's opinion of what they think is casual from the nominees, but perhaps the cards that come to them aren't necessarily what they normally think as casual and make them "think a little" :)

Anyway, my point is that the fewer people involved in the whole process, the less meaning the Hall has. I would rather put the process on hold indefinitely and wait for more members to become active (or new ones, but that doesn't seem to be happening) than continue with fewer participants. The cards aren't going anywhere, after all :)