Casual Card Hall of Fame Nomination: Conflux

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
I think the Hall of Fame is a thing to get the site moving. I'm afraid that if you wait for the site to get moving first, we'll never see the Hall completed. A contest like this should be able to draw a lot of comments. Unfortunately it doesn't. I respect your view on this matter, but as a newer member my view is probably just a bit different. At the moment the site is mainly attracting traffic through the forum games, which, frankly, don't interest me at all. Discussing decks and cards is what I like about Magic (more than the game itself, really!), and that's what I'd like to see on CPA.

EDIT:

<------- halfway my 666th post ;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, but we haven't had any new members come to the site because of the Hall. I mean, I guess we could advertise it more, but I think we did post a little on the front page when we first started and I don't think anyone new came.

It was a while ago so I could be wrong, but... I post on the front page for this nomination and see if we get anyone.

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
What does and doesn't attract new members is a different discussion (and I guess there's a thread for that) I do agree that this thread deserves more attention. Posting on the front page seems like a good idea to me, but I'm unsure it that really draws a lot of attention. The front page urgently needs an RSS feed to get it on the radar. That would really help getting some deserved attention to the front page.

On a different note, I agree with Turgy that it's a good idea to get rid of the committee (freeing the members so they can participate) and decide by voting. It works for the hall of shame (hm, now that we're talking about it...).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
What does and doesn't attract new members is a different discussion
Well, I can tell you that we haven't had any new members in a LONG time, let alone ones that post... CAKECAKE seems to have been the only one in the last month or so and that was just in the General Games section... and I can tell you this because I approve all new members and check daily, and it's pretty much been spam accounts that have come in the past couple years or so. So the Hall hasn't been a draw.

Only Ed can make coding changes to add an RSS feed, someone can try contacting him. I think I've mentioned it to him when it first came up and didn't get a response...

I disagree with the whole Hall of Shame thing which is why I haven't really pushing for it. Hall of Fame is more... important? worthy? I'm not sure of the right word but more appealing, I guess, so I concentrate more on that. If you guys or the majority want to make the switch to do the same for the Hall of Fame, we can do it, but I'll probably drop out of that too since it will have lost its "importance" to me as well (I'll still update the thread with the results though). Someone else can take over and keep track of things.

turgy22

Nothing Special
I think doing away with the committee would actually make the hall MORE relevant. Right now, even though anyone can nominate cards, we have three people making the final decision. Wouldn't it be even better if we had five or six or more people all involved with the final decision?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think the point was that you wouldn't be voting for your own card. I mean, if you nominate a card, usually it's because you want to see it in the Hall.

Now, there's been cases where someone's nominated a card and someone else says "yeah, that card is great, I second it". So that card would get two votes and the expansion lost a nomination.

You might as well skip the nominating process and just go for the voting until one card wins the majority (or 66% or whatever), with cards receiving just single votes dropping out - I guess sort of how the Catholics cardinals choose a new pope. We could try that...

turgy22

Nothing Special
I'm thinking more how professional sports hall of fame committees select their candidates, but yeah, the pope-voting analogy works, as well.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
The pope one was one I was more familiar with. With sports (and more specifically, the Hall of Fame for pro football), I could only remember various sportscasters cast ballots for members on a list. I couldn't remember how that list came to be, if a player is automatically eligible after x years or if they need to be nominated to be put on it and if so, by those same sportscasters/voters.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Current Nominations: Progenitus and Knight of the Reliquary.

COME ON, PEOPLE!!!!! NOMINATE!!!! I'm looking at you, too, lurkers!!!!

Ransac, cpa trash man

Shoe

Noble Hierarch and Path to exile are both bonkers in casual...Meglonoth also is super fun...Me Love Blample

As a whole I am less impressed by multicolored cards becayse I tend to play mono colored decks to make deckbuilding more of a challange.

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
Meh, I don't see myself building a deck around Noble Hierarch or Path to Exile... Strong cards though.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Being in the Hall of Fame doesn't mean that you have to build a deck around them, just that they're the best for casual play for that set :)