Can the people here be more helpful then the folks over at MTGnews.com?

R

Rando

Whenever I post a deck over at MTGnews.com, maybe, if I'm lucky, 1 person will reply with some advice. On the rare occasions that some one does have something to tell me, it's usually to direct me to "go over the the dojo and see the version they have there" or " an article over at mindripper has great tech for that deck" This is when anyone replies at all. It would seem that there is a "Deck Clique" over there that is fairly exclusive. So, I thought I would try my luck here and just cut-and-paste my last deck I tried to post over there.

A long time ago I had a black discard deck that used 4 racks, 4 mind twists, and 4 hymn to tourach. It was a lot of fun to play, and usualy just pissed people off. Recently, I was wondering if it could be recreated with type 2 cards.
Well, what do you think. Does it have a chance, and what can I do to it to give it a chance. The idea is simple. Heavy discard with rackling damage, backed up by lots of little ceatures/dark triumph and some decent anti-creature "direct damage" in the form of the plauge witches, Rath's Edge and massacre.

Spells
4 Duress
4 Unmask
2 Snuff Out
2 Massacre
4 Dark Ritual
2 Vampiric Tutor
2 Dark Triumph

Creatures
4 Ravonous Rats
4 Chilling Apperition
4 Plauge Witch
2 Greel
2 Thrashing Wumpus
4 Rackling

Land
2 Spawning Pool
2 Dust Bowl
2 Rath's Edge
14 Swamps

H

Hawaiian mage

The Dojo has a good version of that deck you should check out. Get's good 4th turn wins. Although it actuall is nothing like that deck, it's better soyou should go make that one.

Kidding. Any way, regardless of what people say, Greel is not that good. It costs 5 to cast. So by the time you cast your opponent will have like 4 cards in hand maximum. Most likly at 1,2, or 0. And then you have to pay a cards each time you use it. Instead you could have gotten some rats, or something. Not to mention you DONT have Dark Ritual. I think you chould either take Greel out or put some rituals in. Justmy oppinion. And from no one put this kind of thing in the deck section.

F

FoundationOfRancor

AS the tropical mage said, dark rituals are a must. I would takle out the dark triumph's, cuz your trying to kill him with rackilng (or wahtever its called) not cretures. Chilling aparations are GREAT. Maybe stupor though? If you do go with dark ritual, I sugest the good ole' stupor. A first turn stupor is some good... oh and also, Avatar of Woe? Since they'll be discarding alot of cretures...

Hope that helps!

F

FoundationOfRancor

I woulndt use Unmask so much if your going to use greel.

M

Mikeymike

The deck looks solid, but I do see a few things in here that could be addressed.

Greel, I'm in HI_Mage's boat on this one. I personally feel he's an overrated card. 1st reason, with a DR the 1st time you'll be able to use him is turn 4 (barring the double dark Ritual). By this time, your opponent has already started to empty their hand, and you have probably taken 2 cards from him yourself. I've yet to use him myself so I could definitely have missed something, but I have played against a few, and I've yet to be impressed.

Chilling Apparition, he's not bad but for an extra B you can get an Abyssal Specter (flying, 2/3) or Order of Yawgmoth (2/2, fear) both of which are more powerful and harder to block. Granted the regen is nice but there are a lot of ways right now to get rid of a 1/1 regen.

If you are running Vamp Tutors, run at least 1 main deck Persecute. A 1st turn Vamp, get Persecute. 2nd turn Ritual Persecute can win many games.

Dark Triumph, I love this card but A) You'll already be killing a few of your own critters with the Wumpus B) it works best with evasion creatures. Only if it gave them fear too. Testing it out will be the best way to get the scoop.

You seem to be a little low on beatdown too. Maybe some skittering skirges and/or Negators (sorry, I hate recommending that card) in place of the plague witches.

Also, you have 12 cards that make/allow you to pitch cards but zero card drawing. You might run out of cards pretty quickly.

Well, I hope this is a better response than you've gotten from MTGnews boards. I've had little luck myself there.

R

Rando

Here is a revised version, using several tips and sugestions given here. (Already 300% more then I would have gotten "at that other site" The only real change is to the creature mix.

Spells
4 Duress
4 Unmask
2 Snuff Out
2 Massacre
4 Dark Ritual
2 Vampiric Tutor
2 Dark Triumph

Creatures
4 Ravonous Rats
4 Chilling Apperition
2 Cateran Enforcer
4 Abysal Spectre
2 Thrashing Wumpus
4 Rackling

Land
2 Spawning Pool
2 Dust Bowl
2 Rath's Edge
14 Swamps

G

Griffith_se

I have some suggestions,
To stay with Your theme, I would use Wheel of Torture.

I also agree with Hawaiian Mage and Mikeymike about Your creatures.
I would play creatures with Toughness greater than 2 so they can survive a Massacre (rackling won't), with 4 Rituals I choose Negator And Skitering Horror.

My thinking is that Stompy or WW would be your Enemy so, Thats why the Perish(You can tutor for it).

I would also go with Stupor as FoR Suggests maybe Parallax Nexus Witch can also be cast first turn.

Heres Kinda what I was thinking (off the top of My head). I don't know wha'da think.

I'm not a real good deck builder so, Take this for what it worth.

Spells
4 Duress
3 Stupor
2 Parallax Nexus
2 Massacre
1 Perish
4 Dark Ritual
4 Vampiric Tutor

Creatures
4 Ravonous Rats
3 Skittering Horror
3 Phyrexian Negator
1 Thrashing Wumpus
2 Phyrexian Plaguelord

Artifact
4 Wheel of Torture

Land
2 Spawning Pool
2 Dust Bowl
2 Rath's Edge
14 Swamps

[Edited by Griffith_se on August 2nd, 2000 at 02:29 PM]

G

Gizmo

I think your creature mix hasn`t really had enough thought put into it - the problem for discard ecks is that they then have to deal with the cards that their opponents have played before they lose their hand, or topdeck of their library.
Your creature base should therefore, IMHO, be largely concerned with stabilising the board. The obvious additions I am thinking of are Phyrexian Plaguelord and/or Masticore. I also recommend Forced March as an excellent removal spell, better than Massacre.

Say:
-2 Cateran Enforcer
-4 Abyssal Spectre

+3 Phyrexian Plaguelord
+3 Ticking Gnomes

And I would tweak the spells as well, without rapid beatings a la Negator you don`t really want to be trading 2-1 card swaps with Unmask in the early game, keep them for the SB of 4 Unmask and 4 Negator against Blue decks. I`m also fairly sure your 22 land isn`t enough, especially if you aren`t using Ports.

Say:
-4 Unmask
-1 Massacre
-2 Dark Triumph
-1 Spawning Pool
-2 Rath`s Edge

+3 Forced March
+2 Stupor
+1 Dust Bowl
+4 Swamp

R

rkoelsch

But I think you should take out the massacre's. Your racklings are 2/2 that will die to them. I might put engineered plague or eradicate in instead.

R

Rando

I posted this at MTGnews.com and here at about the same time. So far, I've got all kinds of advice here. Over there? Nothin'.
I guess I know where I'm going for my deck advice from now on. Thank you CPA!

(Cheasey-ness intentional)

I don't have a quote... yet

A

Apollo

Listen to the people! Use 8 Dark Rituals! Heck, use 12! You can never have enough Rituals!

All the decks on the Dojo have at least 8.

J/K :D

G

Griffith_se

Rando,
Someone responded to You on MtG news. They posted a Killer Flores Black For Ya. Just kidding, but someone did respond.
Apollo,
12 DR's? Ha, I saw a deck there with 22 Gaea's Craddles.:D

M

manchot_13

SOMEONE HAS 22 GAEA'S CRADLES?

They should share...

So i can BURN THEM!!!!!!!!!

but, anyway...

i kinda like wall of distortions, perhaps to replace your nexus, and, i love scandalmonger...

plus, this adds another random comment:

Scandalmonger+Rayne+Creature enchantment = Cool

M

manchot_13

breaking the rules

20 Scrybe Sprite
20 Giant Growth
20 Accumulated Knowledge
20 Island
20 Forest

hmmm? my friend played this for a long time, and then he met quash, and whatever the creature one is...

R

Riva Iron-Grip

bye, bye, bye. hehe. god do i hate n'sync or what. does anyone listen to trance? anyone else got napstas if so tell me your napsta name

G

Gizmo

Just to finally kill off this topic (nobody has said anything good for about 4 posts) I will mention I met the nastiest deck ever...

Forest
Forest, Muscle Sliver
Forest, Muscle Sliver
Forest, Muscle Sliver, Muscle Sliver - yep - 20 Forests, 36 Muscle Slivers and 4 Horned Slivers.

Yeah, thanks. Great. What a fun game I just had.
Moron.
:(

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Way back in Duelist #4 or 5, Zak Dolan posted his "test" decks and one was a cool Plague Rat deck that had about the same ratios. I'll see if I can dig up the decklist; it was the only one I could build at the time but man, was it fast.