California Supreme Court struck down the state's gay marriage ban

E

EricBess

Married, and pretty much agree with the previous posts, so I won't bother re-answering the specific questions.

I will add that there are a few tax benefits to being married and having children, so even if the church didn't require the state sanctioning, I think it would be worthwhile. However, I also understand that in some cases (depending on financial arrangements) it may actually be more beneficial to be considered two single individuals, so I could understand why some people might just want a church ceremony.

Also - a lot of people are "anti-government" recently and live together without marriage because they feel like it's just a piece of paper. Perhaps if the option were available, they might want a church ceremony without the governmental interference.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think what happens to your possessions and estate when you die is much more important - legally married, your wife gets it. Not, the state decides and usually goes back to your immediate blood family rather than the person with whom you've been living with for x amount of years.

Same with medical decisions. Legally married - your wife knows what's happening to you. Not - the other person is kept in the dark.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
All of the rights that marriage bestows, can be legally set up between any two people... married or not..... Will, Power of Attorney, etc.......
So what is it that gay marriage gives that can't be obtained already?

R

rokapoke

Mooseman said:
All of the rights that marriage bestows, can be legally set up between any two people... married or not..... Will, Power of Attorney, etc.......
So what is it that gay marriage gives that can't be obtained already?
Health benefits are the big concern, if I'm not mistaken. There was certainly a big fuss at Pitt about that a few years back.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
So, all the venting and fighting is over insurance benefits.....
I do think I said that in the beginning.
This is not some moral fight over rights, but a fight over money......

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
People are lazy though - with legal marriage, those things happen automatically without having to set up legal papers (and cost money :) )

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Spiderman said:
People are lazy though - with legal marriage, those things happen automatically without having to set up legal papers (and cost money :) )
That is pathetic......

E

EricBess

I'm not sure it's pathetic and I'm not convinced it's just lazy. Part of the problem is that a lot of times, people don't know what they don't know. And since they don't know what is "available", they don't even know what to ask for. Legal union makes a lot of that automatic.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Again, true. I have to admit, I am one of the lazy ones in that I don't have a will set up yet... I need to do that soon. And probably medical directives...