California Supreme Court struck down the state's gay marriage ban

R

rokapoke

DarthFerret said:
I do not want my kids to be raised to think it is sanctioned by any entity that a person should respect. (I think G'vmt should be respected, even if it isn't now) I also do not want my kids to be raised that smoking marijuana is correct. Or that any other activity that is currently being deemed illegal is correct.
What about being gay is illegal? If two individuals of the same gender wish the government to grant them the same privileges that two individuals of opposite gender receive (e.g. joint filing of taxes, shared medical benefits, etc.), why should they be discriminated against?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
DarthFerret said:
I understand and am mostly the same way (too lazy to read it all).

There is no law stating that the Church and the State are seperate. While I agree that one should not interfere with the other, it is virtually impossible to seperate the two completly. I give to you the example of Barak Hussein Obama and Jereimiah Wright (Sp?). The "Reverend" Jesse Jackson, etc...
Okay, I'm actually not meaning to be offensive here, but I know you won't take it the wrong way, DF, so... ;)

When NORMAL people that aren't CRAZY like you talk about separation of church and state, they're usually referring to part of the First Amendment of the Constitution. This is called the "establishment clause." It's the part about congress not respecting an establishment of religion. This was thought of as the federal government at the time, but was later changed to apply to the states as well, although off the top of my head I forget when and how.

I am aware of certain CRAZY individuals who seem to have selectively poor reading comprehension and only acknowledge what is typically called the "protection clause." That's the complimentary part wherein the government can't prohibit religion. These people are under the impression that the United States is or was supposed to be a "Christian nation." I am not saying that you are one of these crazy people, because otherwise you have seemed to be, but they're the ones I associate the "no separation of church and state" claim with because they say it whenever the subject comes up and tend to be obnoxious about it, which makes it easy to remember.

Your version is a bit different, because you seem to be talking about religious figureheads who have had political influence. And that's not what anyone means when they talk about separation of church and state (unless that person is another brand of crazy I've not yet encountered myself--which I'm not writing off as impossible). Separation does not say that individuals, no matter how deeply associated with religion of some sort, cannot run for office. What it would mean in a case like that is that it would be unconstitutional to only allow people of a certain religion (or only people not belonging to any religion, for that matter to run for office).

In other words, we do exclude religion from government, but not religious people.

Not sure why Barrack Obama has anything to do with that concept except that maybe he is religious. I don't know all that much about the guy (you know, I'm not sure that it's true, but I've heard some people who think that Barrack Obama is only putting on a show and that his conversion to Christianity conveniently coincided with getting into politics), but he's not a minister or pastor or whatever.

Moose pretty much hit the nail on the head with me. I personally and morally feel that homosexuality is wrong (I still believe they are people though and try to treat them as I would anyone). I do not want my kids to be raised to think it is sanctioned by any entity that a person should respect. (I think G'vmt should be respected, even if it isn't now) I also do not want my kids to be raised that smoking marijuana is correct. Or that any other activity that is currently being deemed illegal is correct. Or that illegal immigration is correct. That would be the main argument for how it can affect a society. If I had more time I would go into it more. May stop by later tommorrow and jot a few more points down.
What's with the "correct"? I think I saw it from EB too. Is life a quiz? Will it be open-book?

D

DarthFerret

Rokeapoke:

Was not trying to imply that being gay is illegal (although now that I look back at it, it does kinda seem that way..oops). To me, and to several other Christians, a moral code is as important (just not as enforceable) as a code of law. There are aspects of both that do not always work out as we would like (the burgler who sues an owner for getting hurt while breaking and entering for one example). Other things that I feel are immoral may also not be Illegal (such as indecent clothing, etc...). I still will make every attempt at raising my children in an area that does not exhibit those things until I can do my best to infrom them of my views, and give them the choice that many people are not given. Yes, it may surprise some of you to hear that I will give my kids a choice in all aspects of religion, and moral habits (such as smoking, although I want them well informed before they make that choice too).

Oversoul The correct was just my personal lack of a flair for the english vernacular, and really I guess I should have said "What I feel is right" instead of "correct".

You may find this strange, but I agree with the seperation of Church and State up to a point. However, I was merely pointing out the often misquote I hear from a ton of people that "The law guarantees us a seperation of church and state." There is no law that says that. It says that Government shall make no law concerning the establishment of a religion (paraphrasing because I am not a Constitution expert, and cannot quote exact wording).

This is to say, that I do not think the church should run the government, and I do not think that the government should run the church. It is a historically proven fact that over 90% of the founders of the original 13 colonies were believers in some sort of Christ-based religion (not sure what, if any, denomination). It was with this concensus that our Pledge of Allegiance was written with the words "under God" in it. Also that our monetary bills and coins were printed with the words "In God we Trust". The Declaration of Independence's second paragraph reads

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."
And it was ratified by every representative of each State at the time being.

This is relevant because it is the birth of our Government and shows the basis on which it was formed.

Everyone has a right to choose a religion (even no religion) for themselves. Every person should have the right to vote on a major issue. Majority should rule. If a person does not like the majority in the region in which he/she lives, they have the right to relocate.

The only reason I brought up Obama, is because the media (both left and right) have been using his religious pastors against him in a political forum. If there was truly a seperation of church and state, this would not be allowed.

It is actually quite funny. As a leader in my church, I am not allowed by the government or by the church to talk about anything that would be deemed to support any political candidate while acting in that capacity. If any leader of the church were found to be doing so, the church would lose its tax-exempt status and would face legal reprecussions (they did not tell us what those were...just said they were there).

Thus, politics can use religion and have no reprecussions. Religion has to avoid any politiking or face some very burdening reprecussions.

And now it is time for me to split again. I hope this cleared up my views on things. If not let me know. I will make another attempt (and try to keep it much shorter. :))

E

EricBess

turgy22 said:
This entire topic is a legal discussion and I think everyone's arguments have been about legality, not morality. That's why the topic refers to the California Supreme Court and not a religious body.
The "topic" is a moral topic. Strictly speaking from a legal standpoint, government should have nothing to do with "marriage", but they do, so morality is going to be part of this discussion and to not allow it is like trying to win a game by not letting anyone else play.
turgy22 said:
Whoa! Who said anything about schools teaching children about same-sex marriages? In fact who said anything about any (public) school teaching any children about any moral issues? Again, this argument is about human rights and equality, not morality.
Its a related issue.
turgy22 said:
Why do you conclude that if someone's sexuality lies outside of a societal norm that God messed up?
I didn't say that. I said that if you accept that God created gender roles for a purpose, then excusing homosexual behavior because of predisposition is akin to claiming that God messed up. If it is incorrect behavior, you cannot simply excuse it like that because God didn't mess up. That person has a challenge, just as we all do.
turgy22 said:
What defines a breakdown in society? My impression is that if society changes in such a way that makes you uncomfortable, you would consider that "breaking down". And what happens after society breaks down? Chaos? Anarchy? Rapture?
The Bible gives an example or two with Sodom and Gomorrah (sp?)
Oversoul said:
Who said anything about schools being forced to teach about same-sex marriages or that any sort of marriage is "correct." Is this actually happening somewhere? And yes, I fully respect your right to tell your children that homosexuality is "incorrect" or whatever. Furthermore, I'd have a problem with anyone wanting to take that right away
Yes, it is happening. There have been attempts to pass laws in California requiring grade schools to read certain books as part of their corriculum, including one titled something to the effect of (I don't remember the exact title) "Johnny has two Mommies".

There has also been legislation which would allow anyone who feels more comfortable in a different lockerroom or restroom to be able to use whichever they want and anyone who tries to stop them will be prosecuted.

Yes, I feel that both of these potentially impact me somewhat negatively.

Oversoul - you bring up a specific genetic mutation and yes, that is an unfortunate case with a lot of implications that no one truely understands. However, to use that as an argument that there are "shades of gray in sexual identity" isn't truely a valid argument. My understanding is that specific mutation is what it is and there aren't degrees.

E

EricBess

Oversoul said:
Now, why do you think they'd lie about something like that? I know it's a bit OT, but I'm curious.
(Sorry for going off topic on this) Just my opinion, but I think many so-called "athiests" are actually closer to being "agnostic" in that they really don't care or don't think it affects them if there is a God. That largely boils down to laziness. A true athiest believes that there is no God and I think there is simply too much evidence of intelligence of design for people to be truely convinced of that.

M

Modus Pwnens

Really, I proudly call myself an Atheist, and would love to hear some of that evidence. There's a lovely quote from Darwin that doesn't really like it's context, maybe you can slap us around with that :)

B

Budget Player Cadet

EricBess said:
(Sorry for going off topic on this) Just my opinion, but I think many so-called "athiests" are actually closer to being "agnostic" in that they really don't care or don't think it affects them if there is a God. That largely boils down to laziness. A true athiest believes that there is no God and I think there is simply too much evidence of intelligence of design for people to be truely convinced of that.
Oh... Then in that case, I'm just agnostic.

turgy22

Nothing Special
DarthFerret said:
It was with this concensus that our Pledge of Allegiance was written with the words "under God" in it.
This is just a nitpick and not really related to anything, but the Pledge was not written with the words "under God" in it. They were added in 1951.
EricBess said:
The "topic" is a moral topic. Strictly speaking from a legal standpoint, government should have nothing to do with "marriage", but they do, so morality is going to be part of this discussion and to not allow it is like trying to win a game by not letting anyone else play.
I don't want to start a new debate about what the "topic" is. When I read this thread, I felt it was intended to be a discussion of legality and equal rights. I really don't feel like there's any point in discussing whether or not being gay equates to being immoral. It's an issue where people have strong feelings and won't be swayed by anything written on a message board. Confining the topic to a legal issue helps keep the discussion based on fact rather than emotion or upbringing. To introduce my own convoluted metaphor, it's like trying to win a game by creating rules that dictate how the game should be played.

Of course, I'm not the king of the thread, so I can't make the rules, but I will say that if one person is presenting their argument from a moral standpoint and another is presenting theirs from a legal standpoint, the discussion will go nowhere, since both people aren't talking about the same thing.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
DarthFerret said:
You may find this strange, but I agree with the seperation of Church and State up to a point. However, I was merely pointing out the often misquote I hear from a ton of people that "The law guarantees us a seperation of church and state." There is no law that says that. It says that Government shall make no law concerning the establishment of a religion (paraphrasing because I am not a Constitution expert, and cannot quote exact wording).
That's what separation of church and state means. This what people almost always mean when they say it.

This is to say, that I do not think the church should run the government, and I do not think that the government should run the church. It is a historically proven fact that over 90% of the founders of the original 13 colonies were believers in some sort of Christ-based religion (not sure what, if any, denomination). It was with this concensus that our Pledge of Allegiance was written with the words "under God" in it. Also that our monetary bills and coins were printed with the words "In God we Trust". The Declaration of Independence...And it was ratified by every representative of each State at the time being.

This is relevant because it is the birth of our Government and shows the basis on which it was formed.
I really don't know the exact percentage of founders that were Christian, but I'm skeptical because you got two of your other claims in this paragraph wrong...

You imply that the Pledge of Allegiance was written based on a consensus between the founders. It was actually written long after all of them were dead and DID NOT include "under God" anywhere, despite being penned by a religious leader. That little clause was forced in during the 1950's thanks to a push from religious groups, with the rationale that we needed to distance our country from the "godless communism" of the Soviets.

Likewise, money wasn't printed with "In God We Trust" until the Civil War. The argument is actually that it doesn't specify anything about a church and that "God" could mean anything, so it doesn't violate the First Amendment. Whether you think that argument is valid or not is up to you, but that's not the point. If this one goes to a federal court, the line will either be upheld or ruled unconstitutional based on whether or not it actually violates the separation of church and state, not whether or not such a concept is in the constitution at all. It's right there in the First Amendment.

As for the Declaration of Independence, it was not ratified by ANY states. It isn't and has never been a legal document in this country. It was a propaganda tool anyway. A nice piece of work, but it was intended to call for support in the revolution, not to clarify the relationship between government and religion. Also, the guy who wrote it was a deist. Several of the founders were, actually. But they were also secularists. They didn't want to create a deist nation. They wanted to create a nation in which people were free to practice their religions without government interference. And that was the basis for part of the First Amendment.

Everyone has a right to choose a religion (even no religion) for themselves. Every person should have the right to vote on a major issue. Majority should rule. If a person does not like the majority in the region in which he/she lives, they have the right to relocate.
The founders expressed a concern that I happen to share about the "tyranny of the majority." The idea is not that whatever the majority thinks goes. I also detest the whole "if you don't like the way we run things, you can leave" attitude. Regimes that actually go out and say that seem to progress to "No one can question our authority OR leave without permission" if they aren't stopped.

The First Amendment actually covers this too: there's a bit about the right of the people to peaceably assemble and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

The only reason I brought up Obama, is because the media (both left and right) have been using his religious pastors against him in a political forum. If there was truly a seperation of church and state, this would not be allowed.
Again, it's separation of church and state. Not separation of churchgoers and state.

It is actually quite funny. As a leader in my church, I am not allowed by the government or by the church to talk about anything that would be deemed to support any political candidate while acting in that capacity. If any leader of the church were found to be doing so, the church would lose its tax-exempt status and would face legal reprecussions (they did not tell us what those were...just said they were there).
False. The government cannot revoke church status from a church just because its leader advocates a particular political view.

EricBess said:
Now, I agree with you that government shouldn't sanction marriage, but I'm unaware of any legal justification for this. It's simply my opinion based on my feeling that marriage as it is in this country is unfair to single people and wastes time.

The Bible gives an example or two with Sodom and Gomorrah (sp?)
Oh no, I'm so scared! Please don't let the the big fire-slinger in the sky get me!

Tell you what, I can't speak for Turgy, but if it ever RAINS FIRE on San Francisco, I'll just shut up about gay marriage forever and if anyone asks for my views, I'll refer them to you.

Yes, it is happening. There have been attempts to pass laws in California requiring grade schools to read certain books as part of their corriculum, including one titled something to the effect of (I don't remember the exact title) "Johnny has two Mommies".
You're talking about "Heather has Two Mommies." Right? I haven't been able to find this legislation yet, but that's because the topic of this thread has caused a lot of stupid journalists to make "Heather has Two Mommies" jokes about this decision and they have flooded the Google search results.

Also, you say "attempts." There is a lot of unsuccessfully attempted legislation that can get pretty stupid. Please, let's only talk about legislation that's actually passed or has some chance of passing in near future.

Oversoul - you bring up a specific genetic mutation and yes, that is an unfortunate case with a lot of implications that no one truely understands. However, to use that as an argument that there are "shades of gray in sexual identity" isn't truely a valid argument. My understanding is that specific mutation is what it is and there aren't degrees.
You put people into two categories. XX and therefore female and XY and therefore male. The case I mentioned does violate your categories, but like I already said, there are more serious conditions, some involving people with mixed genitalia that is impossible to classify as being either male or female.

I don't even understand what you mean about "degrees" but, how do these examples not violate your narrow categories?

Who died and made you arbiter of definitions (of words you can't even spell, for that matter)? People who claim to be atheists would disagree with your definition. Why do you get to reclassify them? Do they get the same privilege regarding YOUR classification? Maybe they think you're actually a Muslim... :rolleyes:

I don't even claim to be an atheist, for my own reasons. But I can certainly say that there is NO biological evidence for "intelligence of design." Feel free to post as many examples of such evidence as you like if there really is oh so much evidence out there.

turgy22 said:
I don't want to start a new debate about what the "topic" is. When I read this thread, I felt it was intended to be a discussion of legality and equal rights. I really don't feel like there's any point in discussing whether or not being gay equates to being immoral. It's an issue where people have strong feelings and won't be swayed by anything written on a message board. Confining the topic to a legal issue helps keep the discussion based on fact rather than emotion or upbringing. To introduce my own convoluted metaphor, it's like trying to win a game by creating rules that dictate how the game should be played.

Of course, I'm not the king of the thread, so I can't make the rules, but I will say that if one person is presenting their argument from a moral standpoint and another is presenting theirs from a legal standpoint, the discussion will go nowhere, since both people aren't talking about the same thing.
Yeah, I fully agree. But I think I understand exactly why, in a thread like this, it's almost inevitable that moral arguments will come up. When it comes to this topic, opponents of gay marriage seem to have a very limited set of arguments...

Marriage is for procreation: falls flat on its face--clearly we allow infertile people to get married. And we don't force married couples to have children. It just becomes silly. And most people won't buy it.

Argument from tradition: on the surface it works, but then when the actual history of marriage comes up (polygyny, anti-miscegeny laws, arranged marriages, etc.), it becomes clear that maybe tradition isn't all that great of a guide in this case.

Marriage will be bad for society: it works, but in order to pull it off, the speaker has to fabricate evidence because there isn't any (or they can reference Sodom and Gomorrah, I guess).

Marriage is a means for women to domesticate men: I've only seen it once and even if people bought the premise, gay marriage doesn't really factor into this.

Gay marriage is wrong because homosexuality is wrong: well, it's all that's left. And it's the actual reason people tend to have for opposing gay marriage. People who do not have a religious taboo against homosexuality tend not to oppose gay marriage all that much. So at least they're being honest here. It's frustrating because then they have to keep shifting the argument from a legal/social one to a religious/moral one. But I suppose it's better than misrepresenting facts (or contriving false ones) in order to demonstrate the negative effects that gay marriage will have on all of us.

E

EricBess

I got thinking and I realized that my example of S&G may not have truely expressed what I was trying to. Look around you people. The economy is in shambles right now. We are rightly told that buying a house is a good investment and now, there are a lot of people who are in big trouble financially because they did. Food and gas prices are through the roof and we are seeing inflationary prices during a recession.

Argue what you will that this is completely unrelated, but I would suggest that the reason for much of this is because too many people are looking out for #1 instead of what is good for society. Society has moved away from family and family values and I suspect it's just going to keep getting worse.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
And it looks like we've come full circle, EB. Like I already said the first time you warned us about the social consequences of gay marriage. I do not believe that everything is doom and gloom. Some things are worse than they have been in the past, other things are better. Overall, it seems that this is a better time to be alive than any other point in history. I can't speak for anyone else, but those who would agree with me are obviously going to be, at most, puzzled at your warning that things will keep getting worse. It seems to me that things are getting better. We know more and have more opportunities than our ancestors did. We're on the verge of creating synthetic cells from scratch. And we're building the largest particle accelerator ever. Computers keep getting faster. Etc, etc. And things can't keep getting worse until they start getting worse to begin with.

Assuming that I did agree that there's a trend in which things are getting worse, it wouldn't follow that this is being caused by anything to do with tradition, families, or gay marriage. There needs to be some evidence linking the two. So far, you don't seem to have any. You say, "Mark my words" but you don't say why.

Are you seriously attributing the price of petroleum to gay marriage?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Mooseman said:
Why are you asking me, I never said that it did, just that it was an opinion of some people.....
Oh, I know it's an opinion of some people. However, since you mentioned it, I thought you were saying you were part of that "some people". I *don't* believe it negatively affects anyone (if you looked at it objectively) so I wouldn't bring up that statement, even though I know it's the opinion of some people.

Mooseman said:
Change homosexual behavior with promiscuous behavior, just for the sake of comparing two behaviors.....
Now that I agree with, but we're not talking promiscuous behavior. Both homosexuals and heterosexuals can be promicuous.

I thought about it over the weekend, and there's no other way I can really express it clearly. If you look at a couple, strictly speaking their sex or their race should not matter if they're looking to adopt. You should not disqualify people strictly because their homosexual and you should not disqualify people strictly because they're white, black, Asian, Indian, whatever. That's the comparison I am trying to make.

turgy22 said:
When I read this thread, I felt it was intended to be a discussion of legality and equal rights. I really don't feel like there's any point in discussing whether or not being gay equates to being immoral. It's an issue where people have strong feelings and won't be swayed by anything written on a message board. Confining the topic to a legal issue helps keep the discussion based on fact rather than emotion or upbringing. To introduce my own convoluted metaphor, it's like trying to win a game by creating rules that dictate how the game should be played.
Very true. But like Oversoul said, discussions always veer off into other tangents...

Oversoul said:
I agree with you that government shouldn't sanction marriage, but I'm unaware of any legal justification for this.
Again, back to my question if it originated when religious influenced the legal sometime in history... :)

EricBess: I gotta agree with Oversoul; I don't think you can attribute any of those things to "moral downward spiral of society". I mean, these kind of discussions were happening 4-8 years ago when the economy was great. They were happening when gas and food prices were "low".

Let's blame the troubles for where they really lie: Humans demanding more of resources that are in limited supply (gas and food) and humans taking advantage of other humans (some of the economy in pushing people towards loans they couldn't afford) and some humans overreaching their financial situation (the other part of the economy). But none of this has to do with accepting gay marriages.

This sounds very like the church in the midWest somewhere that disrupts military funerals, claiming it's God's "revenge" for gay? moral downwardness in society.

Killer Joe

Killer Joe said:
but I know a few folks who automatically assume homosexuality IS promiscuous behavior (and/or perverted).

Too lazy to read through it all but has it been mentioned somewhere that church and state should be seperate? If so, then why is gay marraige a 'bad thing'? From a government point of view (less the religious point of view) where's the need for regulation?

Okay, I totally missed the point. :(

Killer Joe

EricBess said:
I got thinking and I realized that my example of S&G may not have truely expressed what I was trying to. Look around you people. The economy is in shambles right now. We are rightly told that buying a house is a good investment and now, there are a lot of people who are in big trouble financially because they did. Food and gas prices are through the roof and we are seeing inflationary prices during a recession.

Argue what you will that this is completely unrelated, but I would suggest that the reason for much of this is because too many people are looking out for #1 instead of what is good for society. Society has moved away from family and family values and I suspect it's just going to keep getting worse.
Any reason drawn from your statement would be totally subjective, at least that's my 'subjective' opinion. ;)

I think family values appear to be in declined becuase, well, there are just more people in the world than before. As for looking out for #1 I think that's been around for quite sometime (The "ME" generation of the 70's).

I also think that the term "Family Values" has different definitions. There's the 1950's "Nuclear Family" which has Mom (female), Dad (male), 2.5 Kids; 1st. born (male) second born female, .5 is either a new born baby girl or boy OR a pet like a dog named "Spot".

Then there's the "Single Parent Family" (1960's - 70's) which 9 times out of 10 has; Mom and 2 kids (My family was Mom and five kids circa 1962).

And a plethora of other variations to include adoptive family, same sex family, et al...

As for being punished by higher food/oil prices well, I can only assume and blame the current administraion for this. Of course, this is a 'subjective' opinion. :D

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Spiderman said:
I thought about it over the weekend, and there's no other way I can really express it clearly. If you look at a couple, strictly speaking their sex or their race should not matter if they're looking to adopt. You should not disqualify people strictly because their homosexual and you should not disqualify people strictly because they're white, black, Asian, Indian, whatever. That's the comparison I am trying to make.
This is exactly what I was trying to get you to stop doing..... equating a behavior with something people can't change like race..... they are not interchangeable, but you keep doing it.

If you believe that behavior and race are the same thing, I can't see this discussion going forward anymore......

I'm sorry, but it is just to fundamental of a concept.

R

rokapoke

This may seem like a stupid comment, but from reading a lot of the banter and comments being posted in this thread, I'm having trouble determining people's stances on the following two questions:

(1) Should gay couples be permitted to have a government-recognized equivalent to marriage, in which they can jointly file taxes, share in health care coverage, etc.?

(2) Should gay couples be permitted to have "marriages" instead of "civil unions"?

To me, it seems as though some people on the board (myself included) are trying to debate the first question, and some people are trying to debate the second. Maybe this division of questions will clear some things up, and maybe it'll just muddy the water, but it's worth a shot.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Actually, I don't think those are the questions at all..

1) Should the government sanction "marriages", "civil unions", or the like to any two people regardless of their "behavior"?

I mean, if you are going to expand the definition of marriage to include gay people, why not anyone? Why not two men who are not gay? What's the point?

R

rokapoke

Mooseman said:
I mean, if you are going to expand the definition of marriage to include gay people, why not anyone? Why not two men who are not gay? What's the point?
Marriages of convenience already exist in the heterosexual world, of course. Two people can be married and have virtually no contact -- I'm sure it happens rather more frequently than any of us may wish it to.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Mooseman: I guess we'll have to stop then, as neither of us are understanding each other apparently. Although I also argue that people cannot change their behavior of "homosexuality" either, so really, they ARE the same thing. All I'm saying is that neither should be solely be a barrier to adopting.

rokapoke: My answer to #1 is yes, my answer to #2 is don't care, but as long as the rights/benefits in #1 is tied to marriage, there's always going to be the #2 question. If the same rights/benefits were extended to a civil union or non-marriage, then #2 would be moot.