Broodstar affinity (i think thats what they call it)

H

Homestar

hey all, i just built a deck around broodstar and i think it has potential. but, the sad parts are, i only own 2 seat of the synod, and 2 ornithopter and 2 broodstar. i want this deck to be strictly T2 so i can enter it in FNM. here is what i came up with:

Creatures:
Ornithopter x2
Somber Hoverguard x2
Frogmite x4
Myr Enforcer x4
Broodstar x2
Steel Wall x4
Arcbound Worker (umm, juss dont ask)

Instants/Sorceries:
Thoughtcast x2
Mana leak x2
Assert Authority x2
Override x2

Artifacts:
Planar Portal (just because i only have 2 broodstars)
Skeleton Shard x4 (im vvery protective of my artifacts, but once i get more orni's and broodstars, these go out)
Scale Of Chiss-Goria x4
Tooth Of Chiss-Goria x2
Welding Jar x4
Chrome mox x3 (1 foil, BOO-YAH!)
Aether Spellbomb x3

so, thats it, i havent bought or ordered any cards at all for this deck. this is just what i could scrounge up from my box sine i got 2 free broodstars. i was at some kind of FNM on tuesday (ironic, yes?) and the prize was a foil carion feeder. so i beat some kids burn deck and went to the semi's but he said that if i let him advance, he would let me take 2 free foil rares out of his rare binder. all he had was fifth dawn stuff and i have 2 fifth dawn booster boxes on order so i didnt bother with them. so i got 2 foil broodstars and built a deck around them. but, n e way, thats it and i need suggestions!

H

Homestar

I TOLD YOU NOT TO ASK!!!! lol j/k. umm i dunno i think i put him in cuz i needed one more card or something. juss, leave him alone, pretend hes not there and i really need suggestions on the deck.

M

mythosx

if i were you i would trade my foils away for regulars...they uuuuuugleeeeeeeeeee. I had an affinity deck for a bit. You could always use those tooth and nails of chiss goria. Basically free spells. More the merrier...

I

Izaryo

i had a foil chalice of the void... traded it away and got lots of cards:D

U

unsanitarypigs

I think you should try and use my favorite draw in type 2 for blue, Thirst for Knowledge. Its really good, and you usually discard an artifact you wouldn't use, like steel wall, or 2 cards you don't need, like islands.

I didn't see a land count, but you should use darksteel citadels, and other artifact mana, of course the blue one.

H

Homestar

o lol sry i forgot my mana. also, the deck went through some changes so ill just post the whole deck.

Creatures:
Ornithopter x2
Steel Wall x4
Myr Enforcer x4
Frogmite x4
Broodstar x2
Somber Hoverguard x2
Arcbound Worker (o.k, SERIOUSLY dont ask this time)

Instants/Sorceries:
Thoughtcast x2
Mana leak x2
Override x2
Assert authority x2

Artifacts:
Scale Of Chiss-Goria x4
Tooth Of Chiss-Goria x2
Welding Jar x4
Aether Spellbomb x3
Chrome Mox (juss the foil one)
Planar Portal

Land:
Seat Of The Synod x3 (i only own 3 sadlt)
Darksteel Citadel x3
Vault Of Whispers x4
Island x9

there, you have the whole decklist now, including mana, heh. o and, juss thought id share, i won a game on turn 6 with this with just one mana and a 12/12 Broodstar :D

D

Doombringer

you acualy USE your expensive foils:eek:? keep em mint and sell em for lotsa that beautiful green stuff. I traded one foil damping matrix (said to be about $12) for a Lhurgoyf, Fangren firstborn, Krosan cloudscraper and 3 edgewalkers. Be nice to those litttle shiners:D If your lucky, you can trade that metamox for more broodstars.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
That's too bad about the Seat of the Synod thing...

I've never tried to get any, but they should be relatively easy to, and one more would help...

There's also the Thirst for Knowledge thing, it might be nice...

M

mythosx

you can run those realy second rate qumulox things until you get more brood stars...but seriously you need to have 4 of them...

H

Homestar

i am not gonna run thirst for knowledge because i am juss gonna gonna add in 1 or 2 more thoughtcasts. and i dont plan on trading my mox. some other kid gave me a free seat so i have 4 now. i changes around the whole deck cuz it sucked in FNM. this is what i have now:

Creatures:
Myr Enforcer x4
Frogmite x4
Ornithopter x2
Broodstar x2
Somber Hovergaurd
Steel Wall x4

Instants/Sorceries:
Thoughtcast x2
Assert Authority x2
Rewind x2
Mana Leak

Artifacts:
Tooth of Chiss-Goria x2
Scale Of Chiss-Goria x4
Welding Jar x4
Planar Portal
Chromatic Sphere x2
Talisman Of Indulgence x2
Chrome Mox

Land:
Island x6
Ancient Den x3
Seat Of The Synod x4
Vault Of Whispers x4
Darksteel Citadel x3

U

unsanitarypigs

well, it seems your deck is getting better and better once you get better cards for it. If you focus on getting them, you will have yourself a nice deck. I would use override instead of assert authority because I think it cost too much, even with affinity, and override is a better card if you don't have a lot of artifacts out. Hopefully that won't happen, but it might.

H

Homestar

well there are to thing wrong with that. #1. assert authority has never EVER costed more for me. and #2. i AlWAYS have artifacts out. in fact, i th9ink the average turn i can play assert for 2 blue is turn 2 or 3. sry maybe that came off wrong.....its a viable arguement over which is better i juss like assert authority better. i took out saome countermagic to make room for more artifacts.

R

Reverend Love

Affinity decks are sorta like planes with autopilot...they kinda play themselves. Let's see what we can do with yours.

Creatures
Homie, your creature base is good, however a few alterations I might make is..

Remove the Ornithropters. You'll be much better served by running 2, 1 Casting Cost artifact creatures then two Ornithropters.

Remove the 4 Steel Walls. They're nice cheap walls with decent toughness attached to their casting cost, however your affinity deck shouldn't be worried about defense. It should be worried about offense. Replace them with a cheap artifact critter, maybe around the 1-3 casting cost range.

Instants/Sorceries
Dude..you need some work here. You’re going to have to decide if you want to counter stuff or not. There's no half way point with this, either you load up on counters (a number above 8 is good) or you drop them entirely. Because I'll tell ya, this half-assed stuff isn’t gonna cut it.

My suggestion to you is remove them entirely. I've ranted about this before in a prior post, but I'll recant on it here. Countering spells is an art-form. Accurately interpreting threats from non-threats takes experience, experience I'm wagering you don't have....yet. My best advice to you would be instead of counters load up with drawing.

Affinity is great at dropping it's cards on the table. You should insert provisions to make sure once you've played your hand, that you can fill it back up again.

I suggest:
4 Thoughtcast
3 Thirst for Knowledge/Concentrate

Artifacts
You've got some typical Homestar funkiness here too ;)

Your right on the money with Tooth of Chiss-Goria. If you get you hands on two more, add them in.

The Scale however shouldn't be in here. It's got affinity which is nice, however it just plain sucks..no two ways around it Homestar. A card which gives only 1 extra toughness and taps to do it blows long and hard. It might be able to save your creature during combat..but what do you care? Your playing affinity...slapping down another creature of doom and destruction ain't no-thang to you bro! Go ahead...let'm kill your creatures...there's plenty more evil where that came from.
:mad: <----- Evil

Your Aether Spellbomb...eeeh I say keep it. It can draw you a card, it's cheap, and can in the right circumstances open a hole for your fattie Broodstar.

Planar Portal...only you would be crazy enough to add Planar Portal to an affinity deck..and the great thing about it is..the more I think about it the more I like it. Yea it's expensive to activate but hey, just grab an affinity card and play it for free:) I like it Homestar, I lika-uh-laut.

Chromatic Sphere...eeeh no. You stuff is mostly colorless. Add in more creatures! More Creatures of Destruction!!!!

Your Talisman..nope. If you want mana add in more land and take these things out.

Chrome Mox, sure. If you can get lucky and play it on the 1st turn great! Otherwise it's an affinity enabler.

Some artifacts and artifact creatures you might want to look into are:

Myr Servitor if you can get your hands on 4 of these run'm. Otherwise don't. They're only truly effective in groups of 4.

Arcbound Workers

Bonesplitter

Necrogen Spellbomb

Let me know if it works for you. RL

H

Homestar

Rev: i dont understand why you would want me to take out my ornithopters!?!?!?! they are free chump-blockers and they pump up my broodstars and help along the affinity great. i kno that the soul purpose of affinity is to rush in quick but they help me do that by making enforcers and froggys cheaper. now the steel walls, i cant take out because 4 ppl in my FNM run goblin bidding so i have to have those. but i might take them out. and my best excuse for ythe creatures, is that, literally, i dont have n e thing else but these. i was scrapin the bottom of the barrel to find my 4th enforcer and stuff like that. so if i want to keep the amount of creatures in that i have now, i cant take n e thing out. thats the reason why i have only a single arcbound worker in this deck.

now about the instants and sorceries. i get what ur saying and you make a god point. but, in my FNM there are 5 ppl that come every night for sure, W/U control (4 akroma's vengance, 2 wrath of god, and one other boards sweeper that i dont remember the name) and the 4 goblin bidders. so i want to coounter the biddings and the board sweepers. BUT i do drop my hand, and i drop it on about turn 3 or 4 if i dont draw planar portal so i could decfinatly use sopme draw. so i know this is exactly what i have and i am going against what u said but here is my idea. i probablywont do this tho.

Assert Authority x4
Thoughtcast x4

if i were to go straight counterspells, which i probably wont in tis deck, i would do something like this

Assert Authority x4
Override x4

Straight draw would be.

Thoughtcast x4
Thirst For Knowledge x2<-----(x4?)
Catalog x2<------(take them away for 2 more ToK?)

thats what i am thinking there.

Now for the artifacts. What can i say, i guess im just a funky player. either iim funky or i royally suck and i juss dont kno it and u guys dont want to break it to me, either way. but ne way. i understand about the scales and i kno that they royally suck but i put them in there because i can play them on turn one and it speedsup the affinity greatly cuz then if i draw another i play it for free on turn 2 or even 1 if i have 2 in my hand. then a froggy, then next tuern tap 1 or 2 mana to play myr wenforcer. thats why i put them in there. like i said earlier, i LITERALLY do not have n e thing better to put in there besides them. and i will replace the chromatic spheres for spellbombs. Ha! my friend said the same thing abot Planar Portal. i put it in there for 2 reasons. #1. cuz i only have 2 broodstars and its a good chance to just pick them out. and 2 cuz i can just put a free affinity guy into play, power up my brood, and get an extra creature. and taking out talismans is a good idea also. lol sometimes i will even play Chrome Mox and not imprint n e thing if i either am crushing the opponents, am bored, o need an artifact quick to help affinity or something. but mostly i dont do that. ill ytry to get my hands on all that except for the arcbound workers. i just dont like them so much. and plus, all the other stuff u suggested is better n e way. but, i am struggling majorly with this deck so what im gonna do is do exactly what i talked about in this post and see how it works. if it suckes, ill do everything you said to do. and then the final deck will be whicheever works better.

M

mythosx

sorry home star rev's right on the money...Hornycoptors don't do much for the deck..You would be better off with a welding jar. And thats not saying much...bonesplitters or scimitars are nessecery.

R

Reverend Love

Homestar don't worry bro. Like they say, Rome wasn't built in a day and becoming a good magic player is a hard frustrating part of the game.

There's this guy named Tony who has handed me my oink on a plate for that last two humiliating years. I have better cards then him but the fact his, he's a better player..and he got that way by playing, playing and playing. Only now after lots of loses am I starting to get better...and starting to beat him much more often.

And that's what you have to do Homie, play and then play some more. Your going to lose a lot but guess what...after awhile you'll start winning...and it won't be by sheer dumb luck. It'll be because you've played your butt off and worked to get there.

Now with my deck suggestions they were just that. You can throw them to the wind if you so desire..and hey you might be right. I suggested you remove and add cards based on my experiences playing this game. Some are probably right, some are probably wrong, take them as you will.