Blame it on inflation?

Read below, then make with the clickie.

• Sales drop because people buy the same about of cards but at a lower price.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sales stay the same and Hasbro loses money.

• Sales increase, but aren't enough to offset the lost profit.

• Sales match the lowered price, and Hasbro makes the samve profit off thrice the cards.

• Sales boom and Hasbro makes a greater profit.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Sales skyrocket and Hasbro can't keep up with demand.

• Total voters
H

Hetemti

$75 for a box of boosters. MSRP is around $120, but still...Gok found a box of Ice Age he bought ages ago, and the price for the box was something like $12 (I don't remember exactly...that was a whole 14 hours ago). But still, I don't think the price of cardboard went up 800% in five years. So I ask this:

If a box of boosters were dropped to...let's say $25...what would happen:

Sales drop because people buy the same about of cards but at a lower price.
Sales stay the same and Hasbro loses money.
Sales increase, but aren't enough to offset the lost profit.
Sales match the lowered price, and Hasbro makes the samve profit off thrice the cards.
Sales boom and Hasbro makes a greater profit.
Sales skyrocket and Hasbro can't keep up with demand.

My guess is that singles will drop in demand and sales would increase, since more people like me will buy boxes. Why would I play $25 for three singles when I could buy another box and get a bunch of stuff, and probably a few of the singles I wanted.

This would also give them a reason to reduce the number of commons in a pack.

L

Lotus Mox

I think it would be a good Idea to drop the price of a box to something like 35$.
Additionally Boosters should contain something like 2 Rares 4 Uncommons and 9 Commons.
I think this would change Magic from a Trading Card Game into a Trading Card Game, the players (like me) would be definitely happier, while the traders would still have Foils (which should be a little scarcer if the cards were cheaper).

Magic could become more popular if WotC would change it this way, which could theoretically increase the profit, but that depends on how good Magic fits the mainstream market. I think card games genarally fit the mainstream market though.

IMO WotC has priced it nearly right for the richest country in the world (USA, in case you lived the past 100 years on the moon), but the international market is IMO hurt by this prices (esp. with such a strong $ :( )

T

terzarima

I'm not sure, if you have things like boxes for $35 and 2 rares and more uncommons, things would really suck, first, the commons would be rare, the uncommons common, and the rares uncommon. Plus the entire thing would be screwed up. Nay I say, keep it the way it is.

And by the way, boxes cost 126 dollars up here in Canada land so quit your whining.

S

Salacious Crumb

yes but a canadian dollar is not as valuable as an american dollar!

Hoipa

T

terzarima

Yeah, but we don't have inflation, a burger up in Canada costs pretty much the same as an american, and if yours is worth more, whose spending more money?

L

Lotus Mox

Ademis you can't compare burger prices to magic prices, because Magic is an export article, burgers not (judging from the quality, the ingredients are worth 1 cent :D).

Here in Germany boxes cost a bit less than 200 Deutschmarks (if someone knows a german onlineshop where I can get them cheaper (like 175 unscanned) mail me plz) while a burger costs like 2.5 Deutschmarks (I don't eat burgers but that should be approx. correct), how much does a burger cost in USA/Canada?

A question to you ademis, why do you think a common would be rare, an uncommon would be common and a rare be uncommon? that's completely illogic, I haven't changed the boosters content much. :mad:

Oh and if you think it is too cheap, they could make a special price for you, everyone would be happy :D

A

Apollo

A burger costs about $.99 up here. We're talking a burger, not a supersized Big Mac meal, Mr. Crumb (can I call you Mr. Crumb? I like the sound of that:)).

Oh, and Ademis' big $ amount is more like $84 U.S.

A

Almindhra

Actually, I am a part of Wizard's survey takers...And I've taken about 3 surveys with all of the same message...Will you buy more booster boxes if there were less packs in them (making them cheaper) to buy...

Just a little info there...

C

Cateran Emperor

If you apply basic economic priciples, the net profits should increase slightly. That said, I as a player would not particularly care to have fewer packs in a box. There's no particular reason why, I just like it the way it stands.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
CE: Why should net profits increase? How much does Hasbro make on a box now at $120?

If the number of packs taken out of a box equal the price drop, that's kinda dopey. It doesn't matter aesthetically, but personally I'd rather buy a box with 35 boosters (or however much it is) than two boxes with 17 boosters.

If just a couple of boosters are missing, that's probably okay.

Three years ago I saw a box of Ice Age going for $50 in an obscure comic store. I had no money or I might have bought it... :(

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I find it hard to believe a booster box of Ice Age could be had for $12 when it first came out... unless the seller REALLY underpriced it. But in my area, it was sold out by the time it reached the shelves...

C

Cateran Emperor

Ice Age for $12??? Even when it first came out, it would be worth more than that. Heck, boxes of Homelands go for more than that!

Hrmm, how cheap can I get some Ice Age for? Time to find out for no reason at all.

M

mogg bomber

Yeah, there's no way anyone could have gotten a box of Ice Age for $12. I started right after Ice Age came out, and it was almost impossible to find, and when you did they were charging usually $3-4 per pack and $10-13 per deck.

F

fuzzy510

I'm not the kind of person to go out and buy a box of boosters. The price wouldn't make any difference to me personally at all.

G

Gizmo

What sort of ridiculous statement is that?

If the price of the box goes down I think it`s reasonable to assume that the price of the boosters inside that box would also go down.

Duh!

$12 for a box?
Nonsense - never. You could probably only just get a Starter and two boosters for that, let alone a box. A box of Fallen Empires, maybe.