Beyond Balderdash: Question 3 Final Results and Scores!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
The category is Initials.

What do these initials stand for?

R.C.R.A.

PM your guess by Thursday, 2/16 by 7:00 AM EST. Anyone can jump in here.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Only BigBlue, DarthFerret, Jigglypuff, Limited, Melkor, Mooseman, Oversoul, Ransac, sageridder, TomB, and train can choose from the list below.

Here's the answer list:
  1. Radio Control Racing Association
  2. Refrigeration Compressor Rebuilders Association
  3. Reconnaissance Capture and Recovery Act
  4. Remote Control Racing Association
  5. Remote Control Racing Association
  6. Radio Controlled Racing Association
  7. Remote Control Racing Association
  8. Recovery Center for Resentful Animals
  9. Rodeo Cattle Riding Association
  10. Rancho Cucamonga Racing Association
  11. Rodent Control and Removal Act
  12. Reduced Calorie Renters' Association

As you can see, I think a lot of people used the Net to try to look this one up.... :rolleyes:

PM or post your guess here by Tuesday, 12/21 by 7:00 AM EST (I'm off Monday).

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Wow. This is unexpected. Either three people all had the same answer, or two people had the same answer and it happened to be the right answer as well. Both seem unlikely, but I'm going to vote #4.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, a couple of things...

First, there could be several "possible" answers - I mean, its initials and you can conceivable put together any combination of words and it would be "right". So the correct answer is the one I'm looking for (as in, on my answer card).

Second, if you happened to give me the right answer as your guess, I would tell you privately and you would not be allowed to choose from this list. So if you're listed above, you can be sure that you didn't give me the right answer initially... (I hope I don't need to say anything further...)

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
# 5 It's the same as #4
Spidey had a fruedian slip......
Or may it's to distract from the other answers :confused:

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Dag nabit.... I missed that one..... Those degrees in Journalism and English were a waste of time..... :eek:

I'll stay with #5

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, I don't want you guys to mess up here so I'll spell it out further, because this is the first time playing for a lot of you and it would be evident if we were playing in real life. :)

There's only ONE correct answer that I'm looking for. If there's duplicates in the answer list, you know those are NOT the correct answer. Why? Because if they were, I would have told the people who submitted them that they got it right and thus not list them as possible answers. As you can see, all of the people who are eligible to guess equal the number of answers above plus 1 for the correct answer, so no one gave me the correct answer.

Does that help or confuse you more? :) So Mooseman and DarthFerret, I need confirmation that your final answers are 5 and 7 respectively.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
In that case, I suppose I have no choice but to change my answer. So much for me catching up this round...

B

BigBlue

OK, now... I am going to admit I am one of the people who put the answer given 3 times... but, wouldn't it be better to only list it once and give 1/3 of a point for every vote it gets? whenever we played balderdash, if there were more than one of the Same/Similar answer that's how we did it... and, fyi... I didn't google an answer or anything, that just seemed the logical choice.

Now, I have to give an answer, I'll go with #9.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'll have to go back to the rules, but my understanding is even in real life, if you had similiar answers, you have to read all of them, not consolidate them into one answer and get a fraction of a point. Maybe it's that's way in Balderdash when you just have the word(?), but definitely not Beyond Balderdash with the expanded categories, because there's actually a game board to keep track of your point progress. Getting a fraction of a point obviously doesn't fit in with that... :)

The point being if you have to read all of the similiar answers, everyone knows that's not the correct answer and will probably not vote for it as to give someone else points.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I guess I'll change to #1

I think you should just list the same answer once. There is no difference between 4,5 and 7, so if I pick 5, do the people who gave 4 and 7 not get a point?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Mooseman said:
I guess I'll change to #1

I think you should just list the same answer once. There is no difference between 4,5 and 7, so if I pick 5, do the people who gave 4 and 7 not get a point?
That seems best to me too. But I've not really played this game before. Or I might have. The game I played one time in high school was very similar, but I didn't really learn how it worked.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, it's a trade-off on how this should behave here vs real life. If I narrow it down to the same answer, does everyone get 1/3 of a point? Having fractions of a point seems goofy... yes, if you voted for #5, that person receives a point and not the others (assuming it's not your answer). Personally, I like listing all answers because it cuts down me worrying about the point thing :) and it shows how each of you guys answered - and hopefully encourages more creative answers the next go around :) I mean, I see four exact or similiar answers and I think "Net Lookup!" :)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spiderman said:
I mean, I see four exact or similiar answers and I think "Net Lookup!" :)
Well, being one of the people who gave that answer, I can say that I think the cause was the first initials being "RC." I've heard "RC" used to stand for "remote control" so much that it was automatically what I thought of. I think you're more likely to get similar answers with something like an abbreviation like that, especially one that contains another common abbreviation inside itself. And "A" at the end of an abbreviation is very often "association."

I doubt anyone looked it up. You said it was the wrong answer anyway. If people looked it up, they should get it right. And there was quite a variety of creative but wrong answers on the first two questions despite that a net lookup on one of those would very easily give the right answer--I just tried it for both and Google's "I'm Feeling Lucky" feature would have answered either of the first two questions.

Melkor

I prefer to have the rules remain as Spiderman has interpretted them. I think one problem is with very similar but not identical answers, additionally, fractions of points seem a little off, and the current rules encourage creativity to ensure that you don't get the same answer as someone else.
And I answer:
#9 RCRA: Rodeo Cattle Riding Association