BBCode please?

• Thread starter Budget Player Cadet
  • Start date
B

Budget Player Cadet

Okay, first off, I'd have to ask who the admin is here.

Secondly, I would like to ask if it would be possible to insert:

1. [card] tags.
Put this in the top of your HTML page:

<script language="Javascript">
function WizardsAutoCard (cardname) {
windowName = "WotCWindow";
params = "toolbar=0, location=0, directories=0, status=0,
menubar=0, scrollbars=0, resizable=0, width=450, height=400";
win = window.open
("http://www.wizards.com/magic/autocard.asp?name="+cardname,
windowName, params);
}
</script>
And then you can make a card link like this:

<a href="javascript:WizardsAutoCard('Call of the Herd');">
Call of the Herd
</a>
Just replace "Call of the Herd" in both places with a correctly-spelled card name to add your own AutoCard link.
That's from:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/arcana/172

It would make Play By Post SO much easier to have that.

2. Mana symbols? [mc] tags aren't necessary; I just mean to have them as smileys. Possible? I know that on darkness, it takes me around 2 minutes to get one smiley up. I got a full set of mana symbols up within an hour.

3. tags? They are 1. Useful, 2. Everywhere, and 3. somewhat expected... Also, it makes it harder for me to show you Dælith when I don't have them... ;)

Anyways, just a few requests. I'm hoping that I can lure a few people from MTGDarkness over here, because I know this is simply one of the best places on the internet.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
The admin of everything is Ed Sullivan. The admin who frequents the board the most is Spidey, with TomB poking his head in as he deems fit.

Ransac, cpa trash man

M

Modus Pwnens

TomB is actually online a lot more than you seem to think. I see him quite often in the (=my) mornngs..

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think TomB has a "night" job (relative to EDT), so that's why he's on at different times than I.

To do all of that stuff requires Ed as I don't have access to the main server. I think upgrading the version of vBulletin would probably enable most of that stuff though - he just hasn't gotten around to it.

The IMG tags are disabled for a reason though which a search will bring up: the possibility of linking to inappropriate images. So we've disabled it rather then be bothered to view instances case by case.

B

Budget Player Cadet

Aw... :(

That's a shame. Then again, with all the spambots, it's understandable.
BTW, I'm gonna be asking around what to do about them...

And how does one contact Ed? or does one contact Ed? I have never seen him online...

B

Budget Player Cadet

Of course. But only perfection leaves no room for improvement. And honestly, you guys tighten this place up a bit, find some way to ditch the 'bots (trying to find out ways to ditch them right now), and get a few more members, word spreads, who knows. This place could use a few more good active members.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It's true. I mean, the card tag request has been around for a while and could help with games. Not sure we need the mana symbols, but I guess they don't hurt. The img tag will probably never be enabled for the reason I stated earlier.

Can't do much for the bots except start personally approving every new player application which honestly is a pain, because while most new applications seem to be bots, how do you know who the "real" ones are? The sure way is with a referral, but then that knocks out anyone just happening on the site and stuff. Right now, you get an email which you need to enter the code to be fully activated, so someone on the other end is actually doing it and then posting the spam, so they're not "bots" in the true sense of the word but actual real people spammers doing it, so not sure how to get around them.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
The card tags would be nice, the mana symbols are unnecessary and spammers will be spammers..... Spidey, is the something we can do to help you identify the spammers? Is the Ransac Hate helping? Can you search for a specific text string, like "Ransac hates you" and single out the spam or at least suspected spam?

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
"Ransac hates you" can be the new function for deleting spam!!!!!!! I like it!!!

Ransac, cpa trash man

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Ransac said:
"Ransac hates you" can be the new function for deleting spam!!!!!!! I like it!!!
Well, it's not automatic, but flags them for the mods to decide....... Utilizing the power of trash.......

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oh no, it's obvious who the spammers are once they post. And frankly, from their membernames when I look at the member list (although you never can be too sure, since the name "turgy22" is a bit like theirs.

But obviously, any pron links or non-Magic from new members are the candidates. And TomB and Ed delete them as soon as they log on after I leave for the day. So identifying them isn't a problem, it's just preventing them from posting in the first place. Which there isn't really a surefire way that I can think of...

B

Budget Player Cadet

Mooseman said:
The card tags would be nice, the mana symbols are unnecessary and spammers will be spammers..... Spidey, is the something we can do to help you identify the spammers? Is the Ransac Hate helping? Can you search for a specific text string, like "Ransac hates you" and single out the spam or at least suspected spam?
Or what about IPs? There is a limit to the number of proxy sites that are out there; IP ban the spambots, and you should be able to lower their number considerably. I think. Unless you already do IP ban, in which case, disregard this post.

Just a simple image-identifying software which needs you to write in some numbers written on an image when you register should do the trick.
BTW, you guys got something like that?

Hold on, I'm gonna make a quick MUP here... be back in a sec. ;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
We have IP bans and email bans. Trust me, there's a TON of proxy software/IPs out there.

The image-identifying software is part of that email registration thing I mentioned earlier, so we already do that. Although I read recently that spammers are starting to break that too...

B

Budget Player's MUP

Okay, turns out you DO have one... oops. Hmm... what else is there? What reasons could there be that they DO get through?

It doesn't change, I noticed that... maybe make it so that it shuffles between random codes? I don't know...