Battle for Zendikar Card Image Gallery

R

rokapoke

I'm good for whatever. Three-player sounds good (and just like our Commander 2014 game, now).

You guys pick a set and I'm in for it.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
All righty! Sooo... another question is, are we generating the sets/decks by ourselves or should we have another person do it, to keep the element of surprise mentioned by Oversoul(?)

R

rokapoke

All righty! Sooo... another question is, are we generating the sets/decks by ourselves or should we have another person do it, to keep the element of surprise mentioned by Oversoul(?)
I think we should have a separate party generate the packs. That way all issues like basic lands, doubles, etc. in packs will be handled the same way for each of us (and we don't even have to know how that was done).

Also, the element of surprise!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, the only one consistently around enough is turgy22. I'll send him a PM in case he doesn't read this.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Should I send out PMs with the pack info? Also, just to be clear, since I normally don't add Basic Lands to the packs I generate, all packs need to contain one? So... 1 rare/mythic, 3 uncommons, 10 commons, 1 basic in each pack and three packs per player?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I pull out the basic lands that come in the packs while also getting rid of the tokens and worse-than-token cards. They're always in the same spot now, so it's easy to extract them before shuffling the packs together. If you're generating packs with some program, you could just leave out the basic lands. Of course, real booster packs have some chance of having foils, and the foil in a pack, I think, always takes a slot that would have gone to a common...

turgy22

Nothing Special
Yeah, I don't do foils because I don't know the odds of one showing up.
I wasn't sure if the packs are supposed to have the basics or not, which is why I asked. Adding 15 lands to 42 cards seems extraordinarily mana-lite to me. 18 guaranteed lands is still pretty sparse. I just want to know what I'm supposed to be distributing.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I actually had that question too, so I'm glad you asked it: so boosters always come with a land now? If so, I'd include it since we're simulating what would happen in real life and 18 mana gives more a shot than 15 in a 60 card deck.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
"18 mana gives more a shot than 15 in a 60 card deck."
That does seem bad in a 5 color deck.
What about if we just have a deck of 42 cards (no lands) and like mindmaster we can put a basic land into play each turn.
The limit is 10 lands for mindmaster, we could make it 12 or 15 for this.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I thought something was off, but then I realized that I'm dumb. The variant I'm familiar with that has three of each basic land has one booster. So both players get manadrowned relative to a normal constructed game. Only having 15 lands for three packs would be pushing it way too much.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Well, whatever you want to go with, just let me know. And let me know tomorrow, as I'm going to be traveling over the next few weeks and might not be visiting here during that time.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It's only every other Friday that I'm off, and lucky for you, I'm here today! :D

I went and looked it up to see if whatever's on the web(*) differs from what Oversoul remembers and it is 1 booster, 15 lands for a 30 card deck (and can also be called Mini-Master). I'm not sure how old the format is and if it started when boosters started having a land in it, but right now, that'd be 16 lands, 14 cards, so a bit over 50/50 mana ratio. We could drop a land from each color and make it 11 lands, 14 cards for a 25 card deck, giving a slightly under 50% mana ratio, but since this is five color, maybe we should just stick it out with the original format. Getting mana-flooded is a recognized con but hey, it's all fun right? We could try the 25 card deck after if we still want to continue.

* Interestingly, our Mindmaster format is mentioned as a variant of this since we use the booster as our starting hand and just add one land a turn, up to 10.

R

rokapoke

Well, there's 1 booster plus 3 lands per color, at 30 cards with 16 lands. We could alternatively try 2 boosters plus 4 basic lands per color: 42 cards in the deck, 14 lands. Or 3 boosters plus 6 basic lands per color: 75 cards in the deck, 33 lands.

I say we try 3 boosters plus 6 basic lands per color, but I'm up for whatever variant.

turgy22

Nothing Special
We could alternatively try 2 boosters plus 4 basic lands per color: 42 cards in the deck, 14 lands.
And here I thought you were good at math. 4 * 5 + 2 = 22

At any rate, I'll generate the "decks" and send them out later tonight. Have fun!