Battle for Zendikar Card Image Gallery

T

Terentius

It was probably because none of the cool cards made it into the draft pool, but I just felt like most of the cards and abilities were boring and didn't provide much interaction with each other, unless you were able to land a lot of the cards in that group, like Allies. Though I'm now remember we did pack wars instead of a draft, so that may have contributed to that feeling.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
It seems like a reasonably fun draft environment with plenty of options and a lot of big plays on both sides. Constructed is another story. The set has a few gems (new Ulamog, new Kiora), but overall it seems like a slower, less intense set.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not familiar with pack wars. But just playing Mindmaster with a booster, it seems very counter heavy and the bigger Eldrazi are scary! :) And the Awaken mechanic seems very strong for limited play.

T

Terentius

I'm not familiar with pack wars. But just playing Mindmaster with a booster, it seems very counter heavy and the bigger Eldrazi are scary! :) And the Awaken mechanic seems very strong for limited play.

Pack wars is limited play where each player's pool is the contents of three boosters. No passing and drafting.

Awaken was indeed effective.

T

Terentius

You make a deck, same as a draft. So I guess the main differences from a traditional draft are that you save time forgoing the whole passing process, but your deck isn't as cohesive because you only selected from 3 packs instead of drafting from each pack in all 3 draft rounds.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Pack Wars is made up and there are a few different versions of it, but the idea is that your packs are your deck and not that they're your pool. It's a silly, silly format and I feel silly telling you, "You're doing Pack Wars wrong!" but if you're using booster packs as your pool and building a deck out of it, that's a variation on the sealed deck format. Most of the time when I've seen Pack Wars, players try to avoid even looking at their cards before they draw them, since a sort of surprise factor is seen as an aspect of the format.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Huh. I like both but more what Oversoul states since I don't have to make a deck; that sounds like Mindmaster expanded to 3 decks but you just shuffle up and play, you don't pick the card you're choosing to play.

So how does land work there? Either with being able to see the cards or not (or does it matter?)?

T

Terentius

Basic lands can be added from an unlimited pool (which would need to be additionally provided). You can use any other lands you find in the packs.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I understand that if you're making a deck, just wondering how it goes the way Oversoul stated how you play.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
The normal approach (from what I've seen) is to shuffle three of each basic land in with the rest of the cards. This does mean that one might be completely locked out of playing a card with four of the same color in its mana cost, but those don't show up often enough for it to be an issue in what's already a pretty silly and casual format.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
So 3 packs, then add 15 lands and shuffle.
Sounds interesting, silly, but could be a good way to laern the cards in the set.

R

rokapoke

I'm in on Pack Wars as described by Oversoul. I like the non-deckbuilding aspect.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Sure, if rokapoke's agreeable. I can also do duels.

But which newer set? Battle for Zendikar? Something else?