Balance!

I

Istanbul

Hmmm. When black takes resources, it generally doesn't give them back, except maybe very slowly.

Sadism (1BBB)
Enchantment
When Sadism comes into play, lose half your life, rounded up.
During your upkeep, you gain 1 life.
"After a while, you even start to like it..."

D

DÛke

...great flavor text! Very cool...

Though, don't you think Sadism is kind of like Subversion now? I also think that it's worse, due to the severe drawback. How about decreasing the casting cost to "BBB", and making the caster loose a specific amounts of life? Or, we could make it loose life equal to the cards in opponent's hand, as it comes to play...and so on.

[Edited by DÛke on 01-03-01 at 08:32 PM]

S

sageridder

How bout this?

Sadism (1BBB)
Enchantment
When Sadism comes into play, lose half your life, rounded up.
During your upkeep,put 2 life tokens on sadism.
B:sac sadism gain life equal to number of life tokens.
"After a while, you even start to like it..."

[Edited by sageridder on 01-04-01 at 09:28 AM]

D

DÛke

...Sage! I kind of like it now, since it DOES give you your life back, AND more...but there's always the chance of it leaving play, which will "screw" you. Good one! :)

D

DÛke

...I think that if me, Istanbul, FoR, and some other good card makers work on it, we could make a really good card set. Istanbul knows how to make great Blue and Green cards, plus great flavor texts. FoR just knows all, and I know something about Black, Blue, and White. We could all make artifacts and gold cards. I think it would be fun, especially if the cards get "reviewed" by all creators in order to make sure that it's good. Kind of like what we did with Sadism.

Anyway, wheather there's a set or not, here's another card:

Blood Thought 3BB
Sorcery
If you control a swamp, you may pay 6 life to play Blood Thought without paying its mana cost.
Target player looses 3 life and you gain 3 life.
"Sometimes, sacrifice is as good as revenge."

K

K9Archmage

What's that? NO 10/10's for 3 mana? TOO BAD!:p

Guy Dude 3
summon guy

none of your other creatures can attack
during your upkeep, you lose 10 life unless you sac 2 creatures whose total mana cost adds up to at least 4. you cannot sacrifice tokens. all of your opponents creature's gain "prevent all damage that would be dealt to this creature.
Guy dude can't be the target of spells or abilities by its controller.

10/10

ok, not too cheap?
Waddya think?

D

Duster

Is on to something.
The problem with a lot of the home made card threads is too many people start throwing in silly stuff. It's okay if that's the intent, but if we really want to make a playable set, we have to take it seriously and maybe even limit it to a specific number of "R&D"ers.

I personally would love to help out if you'd let me DUke...buddy...you rock.

[me]'s nose turns brown.[/me]

S'all Duster

D

DÛke

...Duster, as long as you keep it serious. Yes, I think you're right about limiting the number of R&D-ers. I personally would like FoR (great insight) and Istanbul (great flavor texts, B/U/G); though, if they don't have time, or are not willing, it's ok, we still could make a seriously good set, as long as we have at least 3 people in the R&D. :)

What are your abilities, Duster?

We will make a set anyway, wheather FoR and Istanbul join or not, it would just be too bad, for us (and them). :)

Ok, here's yet another card:

Prediction UU
Sorcery
Target opponent sets aside any number of cards in his or her hand.
During that player's turn, that player may only play spells that are set aside by Prediction.
At the end of that player's turn, remove all unplayed cards set aside by Prediction.

What do you think? Too weak? I don't think it's THAT powerful...I just think it's good? Anyone, comments?

I

Istanbul

WAY too strong. Picture this played second turn.

"Set aside all cards in your hand. Oh, you only have two mana? I guess you can play one of them...AND REMOVE THE REST FROM THE GAME!"

The only alteration this card needs is a little '2' right to the left of those two little water drops...

D

DÛke

...actually, here's what I mean:

Prediction UU
Sorcery
Target opponent chooses and sets aside any number of cards in his or her hand.
During that player's turn, that player may only play cards that are set aside by Prediction.
At the end of that player's turn, remove all unplayed cards set aside by Prediction.

See, it's all up to the player now. The least this card can do is let you know what cards the opponent is planning and WILL play...if the opponent chooses more than he or she could handle, then they'll probably will loose out on cards. If the opponent choose NO cards, than that opponent will NOT be able to play ANY cards...NOT even lands. I think it's a good card.

What do you think? Anyone...

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

I agree with DÛke that the second version seems balanced.

BTW, for the set, if you make it, could people make individual card suggestions even if they aren't on the "official" R&D team? Most people here at least occasionally have a couple of good card ideas, and if they aren't balanced you can (most likely) just fix them by fiddling with mana cost/power/toughness etc.

A team of DÛke, Istanbul, FoR, and Duster could probably come up with a good set.... but allow the rest of us opportunities for feedback before you submit it to Wizards or something.

D

DÛke

...to begin with, I don't think FoR and Istanbul are interested, but that's ok! We'll still make a set, and YES, everyone is welcome to give SERIOUS ideas, and we will consider them.

I don't want this set to be like all other sets; I want it to be like a TRUE team work set; combined knowledge equal something really good, and that's what I want to do. I want it to be something that EVEN WotC can't come up with. Yes, that drastic.

Anyway, I know once we start the set (Duster and I) we'll get a lot of ideas from random people, which is good. In fact, DO submit your ideas, it'd be better and easier for us; though, don't be upset if your idea(s) is rejected or revised. We want a real set. DON'T be crazy and submit 30 cards, just like 1 or 2. We'll ask you for more if we want to.

Hey, Istanbul, how come you're not submitting cards? It's your thread! Come on! :)

Here's another card, for now:

Delirium X2UU
Instant
Counter target spell and search its caster for X cards and remove them from the game. Shuffle that library.
"Even the most focused minds can't overcome the power of a delirium."

D

Duster

I'll be able to toss in some ideas soon, I've been pretty busy with work this week, so... sorry :)

Maybe we should work on a story as well? That would probably make the card ideas flow a little easier.

Anyway, here's a couple card ideas to tide you guys over.

Ransom 2U
Enchant Creature

As ~this~ comes into play, you lose X life. X can be any number less than the life total of the player with the lowest life total.
Gain control of enchanted creature.
Any player may choose to lose X life to remove ~this~ from the game.

Intermittence 1R
Enchant Creature

If enchanted creature attacked during it’s controller’s last attack phase, it cannot attack this turn.

I'm pretty big on the idea of opposing color gold cards too, I'll be thinking of some stuff for that.
Maybe a cycle of creatures like...

??????? 1WB
Creature - ?????????

~this~ cannot be blocked by Red and/or Green creatures.

2/3

S'all,
Duster

D

DÛke

...Ransom is VERY interesting. Though, I don't understand it's "life losing" that much. Besides, the card seems that it should be a gold, U/B card.

Here's my version:

Ransom UB
Enchant - Creature
As you play Ransom, pay X life. During any player's upkeep step, that player may pay X life to destroy Ransom.
Gain control of target creature.

I don't know if my version works like yours, since yours, Duster...is kind of confusing. :)
I still think that U/B fit the card theme better.
It's a very good card.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

If you don't mind my saying so, I have an obsessive-compulsive habit of coming up with the proper wording that would be used for cards in this part of the site if they were printed. I haven't acted on it (by yelling at everybody until they edited their cards) yet, but if you intend to make this a serious endeavour to go beyond the confines of this site, might I be able to help edit the exact wording of the cards? I get really annoyed if I can't, but if not I'll try to just ignore it. My point is that I would rather ask about this now than reword large portions of the set later in one reply (which would attract a lot of negative attention - most of it justified - to me).

Here's another card idea which is really interetsing and might see play:

Marble Simulacrum
2WW
Creature - Guardian
Redirect all damage that would be dealt to you to Marble Simulacrum.
Marble Simulacrum can't be the target of spells or abilities.
As loyal a block of stone as you'll ever find.
0/3

It could be used in combination with Reya Dawnbringer (unless it can't be targeted from the graveyard) to prevent all damage dealt by creatures attacking you, but because of the high costs involved such a combo wouldn't be truly broken. How is it?

D

DÛke

...though I think it's an over used concept. I like new things. When we make our set, I want new ideas (without making new abilities)...I just want an introductory to bran new ways to playing the cards...(example: Prediction).

I feel like we are "killing" this thread from it's original purpose, therefore, I will start my own thread for the set. See ya there, anyone. :)