Balance!

I

Istanbul

This thread is intended for cards which could conceivably be printed. Cards with '0: You Win' on them and the like are not needed, nor are 10/10 creatures for 3 mana (without some hideous drawback).

F

FoundationOfRancor

There are quite a few cards that can be salvaged from the bitterly failing sliver set, that are quite balanced and interesting. Would you like me to dig them out Istanbul? The list is quite long...
Also, may I ask why your interested? Just for fun?

F

FoundationOfRancor

NO WAY!

You changed your signature Istanbul!!!!

Ah..thrown off balance...staple CPA Symbol gone...

M

MrXarvox

A coin flip card from my set, that isn't broken:

Tzyver's Will 1RR
Flip a coin. If heads, destroy all creatures. If tails, destroy all lands.
"Feel the sting of splinters, be weightless in the crevasses. I don't care how, but you all must perish"--Tzyver

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

That sure isn't broken, right.............

[me] points at MrXarvox and twirls one of my other fingers in a circle near my head repeatedly[/me]

NO! NOT THE IODINE! NOOOOOO!!!!

[me] eats his words[/me]

sorry

But this isn't spam, I've got some stuff to add...

First of all, Tzyver's Will should probably cost 2RR. Even then, its effect generally isn't useful because most red decks besides pure burn either use lots of creatures or need their lands, and most have both of these qualities. Hence, Tzyver's Will wouldn't help them much.

But here are some of my own cards, that might have gone in the Sliver set anyway.

Successful Harvest
G
Sorcery
Search your library for a forest card and put it into play tapped. Then shuffle your library.

Goblin Captain
2R
Creature - Goblin
When it comes into play, Goblin Captain deals X damage to target player, where X is the number of Goblins in play.
First strike
2/1

Self-Preservation
WW
Counter target spell that targets only you. Draw a card.
(may cost too cheap, maybe it should be 1WW)

Pollute
1BB
Instant
Destroy target land that came into play this turn.

Æther Flush (maybe I need a better name, one that doesn't denote a toilet)
Enchantment
3UU
Whenever a permanent comes into play, if it shares a color with the color most common among permanents or tied for most common, tap an untapped permanent you control and return it to its owner’s hand.

I have more...

F

FoundationOfRancor

I like the cards!
Balanced versions...

Tzyver's Will 1WW
Sorcery
Flip a coin. If heads, destroy all creatures. If tails, destroy all lands.
"Feel the sting of splinters, be weightless in the crevasses. I don't care how, but you all must perish"--Tzyver

WHY: Why red does have LD, its main focus is not global ld, and global creature destruction is out of its leauge. I think this card should be white then, because it fits nicely into whites themes. The cc, I put it first at 3W, but wrath and geddon costs 4, and I thought the chance factor demanded a slight lower price. In the sliver set, theres a card that is incredibly like this, here it is:

Forgot Name 1WW
Instant
Your oppenent Chooses: Destory all creatures or all lands.
------------------------------------

Self-Preservation 1WW
Instant
Counter target spell that targets only you. Draw a card.

WHY: This should definetly be 1ww (as Thallid Ice Cream Man suggested), and it may be to powerful even then. I suggest putting a 2WW or a 3W casting cost under consideration for it. Or you could cut the cantrip...
-------------------

Pollute 2B
Instant
Destroy target land that came into play this turn.

WHY: Rain of Tears is 1BB, and it is slightly better than this. It might be too powerful as is, you may want to go back to 1BB, but I suggest making it a sorcery (Would that be possible? You might have to change the wording somewhat to accomodate it..).
------------------

Aether Flush just confuses me, so I trust Thallids skills...besides the ones I listed, balanced cards! Good job! Ist, do you want me to drag up the set? (It'll take some organization work, and I dont wanna do it unless you want me too)

D

Duster

I have a BIG list of cards I've thought up, I'll post it sometime... Here's a few for now...

Providential Angel 3WW
Creature – Angel

Flying
During your upkeep, if ~this~ is in your graveyard, you may pay 2WW to put it into play under your control tapped.
1WW: Untap ~this~.

3/3

Ojou Efreet 1RR
Creature - Efreet

2: ~this~ does 1 damage to all creatures. Any player may play this ability.
RR: Regenerate ~this~.

4/1

Guilty Verdict W
Instant

Remove target creature from the game, it’s controller gains life equal to that creature’s toughness.
Target tapped non-land permanent you control does not untap during your next untap step.

(! I have a cycle of cards like Guilty Verdict !)

Dark Sermon B
Instant

Each player may choose to add 2 mana of any single color to their mana pool. Otherwise they lose 1 life.

Am-Dari Crone 2B
Creature – Witch

T : Look at the top card of target player’s library. You may choose to lose 2 life, if you do, put that card into its owner’s graveyard.

1/2

Aggravate 2UU
Instant

Counter target spell.
Aggravate cannot be the target of spells or abilities.

Bad Blood R
Instant

~this~ deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
Target opponent deals 2 damage to target creature or player of his or her choice.

Athenaeum
Land

Comes into play tapped.
2, Tap: Draw a card.
Whenever Athenaeum becomes tapped, return it to it’s owner’s hand.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
How about this

Magma Burst
2RR
Enchantment
During you upkeep, Destroy target land you control and target land your opponents controls. If you can't do both. Sacrifice this enchantment.

Ransac, cpa trash man

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

alright, i have my legendary land, i think that its balanced, but if you don't think so let me know

Palace of the Fallen
legendary land
Palace of the Fallen comes into play tapped
As Palace of the Fallen comes into play, remove any number of non-token creatures you control from the game
tap: add an amount of black mana to your mana pool equal the the number of creatures sacrificed this way
" Built with the screams, and pain of the human race " - Azreal the Soulmaster

[Edited by Azreal the Soulmaster on 12-30-00 at 09:10 PM]

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

If the creatures sacrificed are very cheap, Palace of the Fallen is too good. For one thing, they are still sitting there in the graveyard, ready to be brought back...

The creatures should be removed from the game.

Pollute probably should cost 1BB, but the point was to make something no color has had before - instant LD. Obviously that can have significant benefits, so I tried to limit its usefulness a little by preventing anyone from ritualing it out during their opponent's upkeep

Interesting card Ransac!

Duster: Very interesting cards! However, how would you word Aethaneum to make sure that it doesn't bounce itself whenever it comes into play?

I

Istanbul

Parallax Fluctuator (3)
Artifact
T: When this card comes into play, choose a target creature with Fading. Flip a coin; opponent calls heads or tails in the air. If the flip lands in your favor, that creature loses Fading. Otherwise, remove that creature from the game.
"This could cure you...or..."

Frenzy (RR)
Instant
Target creature you control gets +2/+0, first strike, trample, and haste until end of turn. At the end of the turn, remove the targetted creature from the game, as well as all creatures you control with the same converted mana cost as that creature.
"A frenzy is intensely hazardous to one's opponents, as well as one's allies."

Tortured Dreams (2B)
Enchantment
1B, Sacrifice a creature: Place target card in play on top of its owner's library. That player may pay 1B or 3 to move that card to the bottom of their library.

Nature's Course (GGG)
Enchantment
When Nature's Course comes into play, tap two creatures you control.
Put a 0/1 Creature token into play. During your upkeep, you may place a +1/+1 counter on this token. If its power is ever exceeds the combined power of the two selected creatures, remove the two selected creatures from the game.
"The best green mages know when to let nature take its course."

Medical Training (1W)
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature gains "T: Prevent the next 1 damage to target player or the next 2 damage to target creature."
"In the end, the Samite Healers realized that they were only mortal, so they began to teach their craft to others."

Borrowed Time (UUU)
Enchant Permanent
Enchanted permanent has 'Cumulative Upkeep: 1'.
"Nothing good lasts forever."

D

DÛke

...Thallid Ice Cream Dude, Mana Chains only targeted creatures. Borrowed Time targets any permanent, which is helpful, considering we are talking about Blue.

Parallax Fluctator: "T: When this card comes into play, choose a target creature with Fading...", why is there a "tap"? Is that what you meant:

Parallax Fluctuator (3)
Artifact
When this card comes into play, choose a target creature with Fading.
T: Flip a coin; opponent calls heads or tails in the air. If the flip lands in your favor, that creature loses Fading. Otherwise, remove that creature from the game.
"This could cure you...or..."

Frenzy looks good to me. Original idea.

Tortured Dreams is very cool, though, it's ability is kind of Blue. Black can't target any permenant - not that easily, at least. It is balanced, however, I think it should be Blue/Black gold card.

Nature's Course is complex to my mind. It looks good, and balanced. One question that might be stupid, do the tapped creatures remaind tapped?

Medical Training is good. Though not many would play it, for one, because it's a creature enchantment, and for another, because its effect is not the greatest, although helpful. I think that it would be better off cost just one White mana. I like the flavor text.

Borrowed Time looks cool. A bit too...um...Bluish though. I think it should be "1UU". The flavor text is funny...it matches the card perfectly.

Here are some of my ideas:

Delirious Will 1UU
Enchantment
As Delirious Will comes to play, sacrifice a permanent. At the beginning of your upkeep step, shuffle your library, and sacrifice Delirious Will. Then reveal the top card of it to all players. If that card is an artifact, creature, or land, put that card into play, otherwise, put that card into your hand.
"No matter how focused, a mind can't escape a sudden force of delirium."

Blood Wine 1BB
Enchantment
As Blood Wine comes to play, pay X life. At the beginning of your upkeep step, sacrifice Blood Wine and gain XX life.
"A wine, unlike any other..."

[Edited by DÛke on 12-30-00 at 08:54 PM]

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

I just realized something.... Bad Blood is absolutely horrible! It should deal at least 3 damage for such a severe drawback.

Re: Mana Chains: Yes, but you will notice that noone used mana chains. Borrowed Time should cost at most 1UU. Isn't Boomerang better anyway?

Delirious Will should similarly cost more than 3 mana. It's essentially a personalized Howling Mine, but better!

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

alright, i fixed it TICM, hey can i still say sacrificed this way, even though they are removed from the game, i mean they are still being sacrificed right?

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

I guess so, but you should probably word it:

Palace of the Fallen
Legendary Land
When Palace of the Fallen comes into play, remove any number of creatures you control from the game and put that many decay(change the name of the counters to whatever you see fit) counters on Palace of the Fallen.
Tap: Add X black mana to your mana pool, where X is the number of decay counters on Palace of the Fallen.

Also, I think if the creatures removed cost little or no mana, this can potentially be abusive in the short-term as well as in the long-term. Thus, here is how I would change it to make it a little more balanced:

Palace of the Fallen
Legendary Land
Palace of the Fallen comes into play tapped.
When Palace of the Fallen comes into play, remove all creatures you control from the game and put that many decay counters on Palace of the Fallen.
Tap: Add X black mana to your mana pool, where X is the number of decay counters on Palace of the Fallen.

This probably makes it a little more balanced - and that's what we are aiming for on this thread (but in reality, I don't care about "balance").

I

Istanbul

Duke - That's what I meant when I made Parallax Fluctuator.

I think Tortured Dreams can stay black. Look at Agonizing Memories, and look at Thrull Wizard.

No, Nature's Course only taps the creatures when you cast it, it doesn't keep them tapped.

Medical Training isn't incredible, no, but...does every card have to be wonderful? Is there something wrong with making a card that's okay?

Borrowed Time has the ability to eventually wear away *any* permanent. That needs to be way color-intensive to be in blue, so UUU it is.

S

superguy

Bad Blood... I would definitely use this card in multiplayer. But I don't think that it would ever be printed unless Wizards was comin up with some cool multiplayer set or something.

D

DÛke

...Istanbul.

Superguy, wouldn't your rather use Shock over Bad Blood? :)

Here's a card idea:

Sadism 1BBB
Enchantment
As Sadism comes to play, you loose half your life.
1BBB, sacrifice Sadism: Set your life total at 20.