Artwork?

Ferret

Staff member
Lots of things still don't look good on MTGO...if they ever fix it, I imagine it might be easier on the eyes...

-Ferret

"...and sanity..."

I

Izaryo

the new bordering really sucks. i was about to throw up when i saw it. curse WotC!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Lotus Mox
The only way you could get the old frame back, is not buying any cards with the new card frame and convincing a large amount of wotc consumers to also not buy them. Money is the only way to send signals to wotc.
"Large numbers" would probably mean greater than 50% of the customer base, which is probably a very high number. I doubt it's going to change...

M

mythosx

yeah...you guys are right...sniff...im a big boy and its time to step into a brave new world...

N

Nightstalkers

And if your not ready, I've got the cattle taser ready just in case... :D :p

Why can't we boycot WotC?

Ferret

Staff member
IMHO, the frames can change w/ every expansion as long as the artwork maintains the high quality they have and the game stays entertaining...

-Ferret

"Best artwork ever: Repopulate. For obvious reasons"

M

mythosx

nah...frame still sucks...i was wondering...if i started a petition to change it back...how many people would sign it? How bout some one start a poll about which frame they like better.

N

Nightstalkers

The new frame is kinda wierd coming from the older sets like we are... but, I see how it allows a bigger picture for the cards.

N

Notepad

It does provide a sliver more of art space, but at the cost of deemphasizing that art and putting optical focus on the frame itself.

*SIGH*

N

Nightstalkers

but then again... they've gotten rid of the card text box backgrounds and given the cards a bubble look to them.

Okay, its still odd, but I want my Rukh Egg promo!

Ferret

Staff member
My only real complaint about the new artwork: The Artifacts. They look too much like White Cards...

-Ferret

"Ironic considering that white didn't get Disenchant back..."

N

Notepad

Yes, indeed. The artifacts are way too easy to mix up with white when you are sorting fast. You could always sort land from artifacts in the past, which they said was confusing...

E

EricBess

I just got a box of 8th edition. As is my norm when getting a box, I've been playing 2-man draft with my son. I had to ask him several times to move the artifacts from his white pile into their own pile. See, my son has a habit of not looking at the strength of his colors, but the number. So, if he gets ditched a couple crap whites, he starts drafting white because "he has white", even if I have 3 strong cards by then and he has 2 unplayable cards.

Yesterday, that's what happened, and I am pretty sure he only took artifacts because he was playing white.

Now, we can complain about the new card faces all we want. I personally like them, but I don't like the color scheme for artifacts, which I think should have been more of a bronze than a silver.

But the point is, this is a 9-year old and to me, the fact that this happened justifies the fact that we are complaining about the color of artifacts

N

Notepad

Your son should sue WotC over the new artifacts since they horrendously messed up his metagame strategy in drafting. :D ;) :p

Thanks for confirming that the cards do indeed suck.

M

mythosx

yeah, everyone makes good, valid points. But the bottom line is, I wish my cards looked the same. I was so glad that wizard went so long without a change. Magic didn't go the way of legend of five rings. And now it has. that sux.

C

Chaos Turtle

It will probably take a couple of sets, but I'll bet that artifacts will be better differentiated from white cards in the future. It's a common-enough complaint.

Either that, or we'll all just get better at telling them apart. :p