Artwork blues....

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

blasphemy, Guay's stuff has such a nice fantasy quality work, its very whimsical in a sense the way she does her art work, plus who can put down the person who created the image of Kaysa

A

Almindhra

I have to say John Avon is equal to Terese Neilson in land art...They're amazing...

M

Mikeymike

I don't know about Zug: both Cradle Guard and Gaea's Cradle are Zug pieces and both are amazingly detailed paintings. I've never seen comic books with art like that before.

Guay is amazing too, she has great use of color and she defintitely has a distinct look to her style. Whether you love or hate her stuff, the fact that you recognize her art immediately when seeing a card says something about her skill. Sky Spirit and Gaea's Blessing are my favorites of hers.

D

Duel

I'm fond of Guay, though cards like twiddle aren't her best work by any standard.

Cradle was zug?!? I would never have guessed. Most of the stuff of his I've seen is more detailed than comics, but far too mundane-looking. There's no divinity to his work.

M

Mikeymike

I see your point on Zug being mundane, and now that you mention it I agree. But I also think his biggest talent is trying (and succeeding) to capture natural beauty in his pieces. That's nice and he's great at what he does best, but at the same time maybe he's limiting himself by not dipping into his darkside a little bit (something that RK Post and Spencer do so well).

T

terzarima

AHHH My typing didn't post!!! TWICE!!! Why?

I don't find Mark Zug mundane, repetitive, or anything like that. I'm sure that WOTC brings him back to draw angels (which he's done alot of) because he's good at doing them. I'll try and find stuff different stuff that he's drawn.

I agree with you about Guay, but in 7th, she's kind of changed. THere is more a definite Outline with many different colours inside. Crackdown is one of her best works in my opinion...

D

Duel

Yeah, that's what I meant by "cards like twiddle are not her best work"

She has some nice stuff in seventh, but most of her really good work is earlier.

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

yes, i must agree 7th is not her, best work, although i did love the picture on dark banishing, i must say that my favorite piece of hers is still Kaysa

D

Duel

Getting back to the original point, as far as reprints of basic cards are concerned:

Disenchant is good art
Healing Alve is bad art
Counterspell is AWFUL art
Unsummon is decent art
Howl from Beyond is decent art
Dark ritual is GONE! *sob*
Shock is moderate/bad art
Stone rain is good art
BOP is AWFUL art
llanowar elves is moderate/bad art
The lands, in general, Kick ASS!

F

Firestorm

I like the new Staunch Defenders and I think that the new Serra Advocate is noting short of amazing, myself...

Angelic Page is very cool too.

What about Scath Zombies, they still suck, but the artwork is frikkin astounding.

Bog Imp scares me...

Boomerang is good...

Sunweb is cool...

Standing Troops is gay...

Along with Reprisal, which should be a bunch of people carrying a dragon's head into a town...

So unlike Tolarian Winds...

M

Mikeymike

I never realized Asmira was one of Guays....My first 'broken' tech creature when I started playing cards, an MP card I should have never have traded away...

S

superguy

I like most of the artowork in 7th. I think that *generally speaking* it's an improvent ver the past editions. There are some pieces that I am not happy to see leave, but most of 7th art is awesome.

H

Hetemti

Here's what I want to see:

Stasis reprinted in 8th. It has the best art ever! But it'd have to be changed to be reprinted so...

I want all the Magic artists to redo the art from Stasis...the original pic, augmented to fit their style. (I'd bet Ron Spencer or Poalo Parente would do the best.)Then, post them all online and let players vote for which is best, and as a promo, print and distribute Stasii to all the voters with the pic of their choice!

An odd request, you might wonder? Sure. But it'd be neat to see how all the Magic artists themselves interpret Stasis' art.

T

terzarima

I don't know, I think somehow the art fits the expansion. Take Mirage for example, Richard Kane Furgasen (spl?), his art was just so exotic and different that it just "fit" in Mirage.

Nemesis was boring, storyline, world and all, thus, the art reflected.

Invasion was a huge storyline with tons of different things, races, and magic coming together, thus, the many different artists and styles.

D

Duel

No, I think they should be consistant to the world of dominaria and the characters of myth and legend.