Artwork blues....

H

Hellion

7th Ed brought us pretty beautiful artwork for most of the cards. This thread is to ask you all Magic players especially those who has seen the same artwork for the same card for 4 sets (eg. disenchant from ice age to 6th). edition) Do you think the renewal of the art was justice and did the artists do a good job?

Which classic cards that were reprinted that didn't feature the art you think fits it?

I thought that the new Pillage art sucks it really loses out the Alliances version. The new Shivan Dragon is only okie.......Duress didn't quite make sense....I felt they over did the art for Serra Angel.....

All your thoughts and suggestions are welcome!

A

arhar

I think it was mistake to get rid of a mohawked Llanowar Elf... And Rainbow Parrot is NOT a Bird of Paradise!

N

Necrosavant

Persecute and Glorious Anthem...though Worship looks cool <well all rk Post stuff kicks heiny>

D

Daggertooth

You just gotta love the new City of Brass. The shivan sucked though. I did like the Sera. The counterspell is possibly the best art in the set.

Daggertooth

A

Almindhra

I didn't like Opposition, or the red card that looked like it...Its just doesn't look realilistic...I think overall theres some really nice art in it...I love the lands (except for the mountains)...Serra looks drunk...But yeah, overall I really liked the art...

E

ErinPuff

There's some nice art.. I love City of Brass.. I thought they made Serra too, er, pointy.. And it's weird to see new art for cards like Llanowar Elves or Prodigal Sorceror that had easily-recognizable art since the very beginning, and now it's different. :p

F

fuzzy510

I hate 7th as a whole, so I would be very biased if I were to actually make comments on what art I do and don't like.

H

Hetemti

I like the new Shivan. Benson's is classic, but Donato's eye for detail can't be beat. As for the rest, most of it is crap. I like the new Tremor, though. Beats the crap out of the old one. "A goblin with a tiny stick! RUN!"

Props to the new Granite Grip. Looks just like my friend's little brother, Hans. :D

D

Duel

New shivan is great!
New Serra is AWFUL!
New thornie is.... thorny.....

I didn't like the new Llanowars or Birds.
I did like the new dark banishing, and a couple others.
The art is like all other sets, ranging from the stupid to the fantastic.

The flavor text, now THAT'S annoying.

C

Cateran Emperor

Goblin Elite infantry is great, so are Raging Goblin and Goblin Raider. Heck, most of the common Goblins are just better. On that matter, most of the commons in the set are all better. Most of the rares, however, just look worse than their old incarnations.

All of the Red and Blue mages in that funky battle armor look cool, it gives you more a feeling of being attached to the game when you can see yourself on the card.

Z

Zadok001

I love most of the new art - There's some brilliantly colorful and interesting pieces I could stare at for hours to find the smallest details in. Shivan is AWESOME. Serra is weak. Djinn is impressive. Etc...

And I SWEAR, the art on Tolarian Winds is SUPPOSED to be Tim! Arrggg!

M

Mikeymike

I loved the idea of replacing the artwork, and in most cases it was a vast improvement (like stone rain and disenchant). But so many new pieces are so drab, why did they bother to replace the originals? Duress, what a waste of bad art on a great card.

I don't know, I think Glorious Anthem is weak compared to the original. I'm against anything of Kev Walker, D.Alexander Gregory or Richard Kane Ferguson getting replaced. I love Nielson too though, but she's done better work.

Thorn Elemental, I think RK Post did both for Destiny.

I will say this, Cruielo, Michael Koelsch, John Avon, Dave Dorman and Andrew Goldhawk do some amazing pieces in this set. And Lightning Elemental is possibly the coolest looking creature ever: Walker is nasty.

*Will trade 3 Wraths (2 4th, 1 5th) for any 7th Wraths*

L

Lotus Mox

I like most of the 7th art.

Do you also think that the Squall art should be on Hurricane and vice versa?

D

Duel

No! I LOVE the new Hurricane! It's one of the best things about 7th!

L

Lotus Mox

I also like the new Hurricane, but doesn't Squall look more like a Hurricane than Hurricane itself?

It's probably just me :(

D

Dark_Tira

Most of the new art is ok. It was weird at first but when I looked back at most of the old art I realized a lot of it was considerably worse than the new stuff. I was just really used to it. However not all the new stuff are improvements, I absolutely HATE the new Daring Apprentice and most of the Rebecca Guay art. On the other hand the new Serra Advocate art is sweet. Overall, I'd say it was a change for the better.

D

Duel

I dunno, some of Guay's art is nice. I like the new Ancestral Knowledge better, for instance.

Counterspell, though *shudder* dear god.... I mean, farting rainbows?!?

T

terzarima

UGHHHH I had so much writing down, and my computer shut down. DAMN YOU BILL!!! Anyway, I'll try and write down as much as I can..

What's that I hear? Serra angel('s art) bad? How can you say such? Sure, it does look like she's had a few too many, but hey, I finally got a box of 7th ( An empty one, can't afford real ones, DAMN YOU AS WELL ZADOK!!) and got the full art for serra angel, and until then, I listen not to your remarks. For one thing, drawing an angel is hard to do, and Mark Zug (God bless) draw's them with such detail and beauty. I love the way that Mark Zug paints (he uses oil paints I beleive) but that's besides the point. I shun you all for saying that the new serra angel art is bad.

Donato Gianocola is a great artist as well, but did you notice for the longest time he only drew hands? Amber prison, the old diamonds, all hands!! Also feroz's ban also has hands. Not that that is bad, I mean, hands are hard to draw and he does them very well. I like the new Shivan and the new archivist (Which should be the new tim, I don't see what you get from tolarian winds Zadok, it just isn't timlike) because of not only their main subject, but their background as well (mainly the archivists)

Augh.. ..Mark Tedin, the name puts shivers up my spine, that's how good he is. His art seems to writh and twist on the page, its odd and disturbing. I like the old phyrexian colossuss so much better than the new one. The older one has much better background, and the colossus just looks plain better.

Now this guy does bad hand jobs, David Martin, or at least his diamonds. The hands and diamonds seem to simplistic and poorly coloured to fit the nice backgrounds. Also, the art seems too boring for me, Yea! a diamond with a hand attached to it.... Same with meekstone, infact, exactly the same...

But I love most of the new art done for seventh. Among my favourties is Southern Paladin, art done by Greg Staples, Teferi's Puzzle Box, done by Donato Gionacola, and Ardarker Wastes by John Avon (Who is one of the best new artists IMHO)

So, until next time, keep fit and have fun.

D

Duel

Giancola is nice, but I can't stand Zug's stuff. It seems like something straight out of a comic book...