Archenemy: Nicol Bolas (Oversoul) vs Gatewatch (Spidey, Melkor, rokapoke)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yep, so Vizier of Deferment dies, Forest dies and goes back to Melkor's hand, Vastwood Zendikon dies, I take 5, Horror token blocking Pathmaker Initiate dies, Beast token blocking Thragtusk dies, Pathmaker Initiate dies, and Thragtusk survives combat?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yup.

rokapoke plays a Plains
Spidey casts Torchling

Done
Nicol Bolas, God Emperor of Dune: 36
Hand: 4
Library: 42
Battlefield:

(U) Swamp
(U) Dragonskull Summit (~ etb tapped unless I control a swamp or a mountain. T: adds B or R to my mana pool.)
(U) Highland Lake (~ etb tapped. T: adds U or R to my mana pool.)
(U) Crumbling Necropolis (~ etb tapped. T: adds U, B, or R to my mana pool.)
(U) Submerged Boneyard (~ etb tapped. T: adds U or B to my mana pool.)
(U) Grixis Panorama (T: adds C to my mana pool. 1,T,sac: searches my library for a basic island, swamp, or mountain and puts it onto the battlefield tapped, then I shuffle my library.)

(U) Obelisk of Grixis (T: adds U, B, or R to my mana pool.)

(U) Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker (Roar, I am a dragon) *8 loyalty counters*

(U) Baleful Strix (1/1; Flying, deathtouch. When ~ etb, draw a card.)
(T) Horror token (3/3; attacks Melkor if able.)
(T) Horror token (3/3; attacks Spidey if able.)
(T) Horror token (3/3; attacks Rokapoke if able.)
Graveyard: Vampire Nighthawk, Lightning Bolt, Cinder Barrens, Extract from Darkness, Reckless Spite
Exile:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Melkor: 22
Hand: 4 (Forest)
Library: 41
Battlefield:

(T,T) Forest x2
(T,T,T) Island x3
(T) Woodland Stream (~ ETB tapped.; T: Add G or U to my mana pool)

(T) Thragtusk (6/4 from ctr; When ~ etb, gain 5 life. When ~ ltb, create a 3/3 green Beast creature token.) *1 +1/+1 ctr*

Graveyard: Sixth Sense, Island, Scute Mob, Khalni Heart Expedition, Cultivate, Ior Ruin Expedition, Sword of the Animist, Vastwood Zendikon
Exile:
Spidey: 17
Hand: 2
Library: 45
Battlefield:

(T,T,T,T,T) Mt x5
(T) Smoldering Spires (~ ETB tapped.; When ~ ETB, target creature can't block this turn.; T: Add R to my mana pool)

(S) Torchling (3/3; R: Untap ~,; R: Target creature blocks ~ this turn if able.; R: Change the target of target spell that targets only ~.; 1: ~ gets +1/-1 ueot.; 1: ~ gets -1/+1 ueot)

Graveyard: Coordinated Assault, Skaargan Firebird, Volcanic Geyser, Mountain, Chandra's Outrage, Pathmaker Initiate
Exile:
rokapoke: 22
Library: 44
Battlefield:

(T,T,T,T,U,U) Plains x6

(U) Anointer of Champions (1/1; T: Target attacking creature gets +1/+1 ueot)
(S) Relief Captain (3/2; Kor Knight Ally; When ~ enters the battlefield, support 3 (put a +1/+1 counter on each of up to three other target creatures))

Graveyard: Fiendslayer Paladin, Plains, Plains, Aerial Responder, Vizier of Deferment
Exile:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
UUD...

Rokapoke, your creatures cannot attack me or other me.

Melkor, I'll be taking my Thragtusk back (-2 loyalty to Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker).

Spidey, I do not distinguish between servants and victims. I cast Slave of Bolas on Torchling.

Assuming that all of that goes off without a hitch, I'll activate Torchling's ability to force Relief Captain to block it, then I'll attack Melkor with the Horror that has to attack him, Spidey with the Horror that has to attack him, and Rokapoke with the Horror that has to attack him and with Spidey's Torchling (which Relief Captain will presumably block).

Responses?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Done

Command Zone: *Ongoing Scheme* Bow to My Command: Rokapoke's creatures cannot attack me or planeswalkers I control. At the beginning of my opponents' end step, they may tap any number of creatures with power 8 or greater. If they do, abandon this scheme.
Battlefield:

(U) Swamp
(U) Dragonskull Summit (~ etb tapped unless I control a swamp or a mountain. T: adds B or R to my mana pool.)
(U) Grixis Panorama (T: adds C to my mana pool. 1,T,sac: searches my library for a basic island, swamp, or mountain and puts it onto the battlefield tapped, then I shuffle my library.)

(U) Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker (Roar, I am a dragon) *6 loyalty counters*

(S) Thragtusk (6/4 from ctr; When ~ etb, gain 5 life. When ~ ltb, create a 3/3 green Beast creature token.) *1 +1/+1 ctr*
Graveyard: Vampire Nighthawk, Lightning Bolt, Cinder Barrens, Extract from Darkness, Reckless Spite, Slave of Bolas
Exile:
Melkor: 19
Hand: 4 (Forest)
Battlefield:

(T,T) Forest x2
(T,T,T) Island x3
(T) Woodland Stream (~ ETB tapped.; T: Add G or U to my mana pool)

Graveyard: Sixth Sense, Island, Scute Mob, Khalni Heart Expedition, Cultivate, Ior Ruin Expedition, Sword of the Animist, Vastwood Zendikon
Exile:
Spidey: 14
Library: 45
Battlefield:

(T,T,T,T,T) Mt x5
(T) Smoldering Spires (~ ETB tapped.; When ~ ETB, target creature can't block this turn.; T: Add R to my mana pool)

Graveyard: Coordinated Assault, Skaargan Firebird, Volcanic Geyser, Mountain, Chandra's Outrage, Pathmaker Initiate, Torchling
Exile:
rokapoke: 19
Battlefield:

(T,T,T,T,U,U) Plains x6

Graveyard: Fiendslayer Paladin, Plains, Plains, Aerial Responder, Vizier of Deferment, Relief Captain
Exile:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Untap, upkeep, Draw

Melkor plays a Forest and casts Reckless Scholar
Spidey plays a Mountain and casts Battle-Ready Shaman
rokapoke plays a Plains and casts Sun Titan, targeting the Fiendslayer Paladin

Done

Command Zone: *Ongoing Scheme* Bow to My Command: Rokapoke's creatures cannot attack me or planeswalkers I control. At the beginning of my opponents' end step, they may tap any number of creatures with power 8 or greater. If they do, abandon this scheme.
Battlefield:

(U) Swamp

(U) Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker (Roar, I am a dragon) *6 loyalty counters*

(S) Thragtusk (6/4 from ctr; When ~ etb, gain 5 life. When ~ ltb, create a 3/3 green Beast creature token.) *1 +1/+1 ctr*
Graveyard: Vampire Nighthawk, Lightning Bolt, Cinder Barrens, Extract from Darkness, Reckless Spite, Slave of Bolas
Exile:
Melkor: 19
Hand: 3
Library: 40
Battlefield:

(T,T,U) Forest x3
(T,U,U) Island x3
(U) Woodland Stream (~ ETB tapped.; T: Add G or U to my mana pool)

(S) Reckless Scholar (2/1; T: Target player draw a card, then discards a card)

Exile:
Spidey: 14
Hand: 1
Battlefield:

(T,T,T,T,U,U) Mt x6
(U) Smoldering Spires (~ ETB tapped.; When ~ ETB, target creature can't block this turn.; T: Add R to my mana pool)

(S) Battle-Ready Shaman (2/2; At the beginning of combat on my turn, I may have target creature get +2/+0 ueot)

Graveyard: Coordinated Assault, Skaargan Firebird, Volcanic Geyser, Mountain, Chandra's Outrage, Pathmaker Initiate, Torchling
Exile:
rokapoke: 19
Hand: 1
Library: 43
Battlefield:

(T,T,T,T,T,T,U) Plains x7

(S) Sun Titan (6/6; Vigilance; Whenever ~ ETB or attacks, I may return target permanent card with converted mana cost 3 or less from my graveyard to the battlefield)
(S) Fiendslayer Paladin (2/2; First strike, lifelink; ~ can't be the target of black or red spells Oversoul controls)

Graveyard: Plains, Plains, Aerial Responder, Vizier of Deferment, Relief Captain
Exile:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
UUD...

-2 loyalty to Nicol Bolas and gain control of Sun Titan. Obelisk of Grixis, tap out for Icefall Regent, tapping Fiendslayer Paladin. Attack Spidey with Thragtusk and each of you with the horrors that are required to attack you if able. Blocks/responses?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Question about schemes: Do they just come every turn? Or does one have to be abandoned before another comes up? The reason I ask is that we didn't cause the previous scheme to be abandoned so is that one still in effect *and* this one or just the old one (Bow to My Command)?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Both schemes are active or "face up." Setting new schemes in motion is independent from the abandonment of schemes that are already face up.